• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Travelling with rabbits - train journeys?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I am planning on getting the train home after work on christmas eve, I will be staying for 3 nights. I have no one here who can look after the rabbits or even pop in and wouldn't feel like leaving them three nights is an option. So I've asked my parents if they can come with me, my room is already rabbit proof from when I lived there with Boris and Jake can stay in the spare room. Does anyone have experience with taking rabbits on a train? Or tips to keel them calm during a journey? I'm worried they will be stressed bless them :( Hoping I can manage them as well!

Provide them with plenty of hay and keep the carrier dark. ie. keep a blanket over them. I wouldn't try to interact with them at all during the journey, only to check if they are okay.

The problem with trains is there is a lot of noise with people and the sound of the door beeps that go off a lot.

A tip is to stay near the end of the train, this is normally where there is less noise and could you go in the middle of the day on a week-day or late on a weekend when there isn't many people about?

Thank you :) Yes will put plenty of hay in the carriers, its a quick bus ride to get to the train station and a short walk. Not sure if I should put a snugglesafe in with them as they're indoor rabbits but wouldn't want them to get too hot on the train? Will be on the train for about an hour and then my dad is picking us up from the station for a 30 min car journey. I will try to get on near the end, the only time I can get the train is 5.40 as I'm at work then my parents are going to church so cant luck me up from station any later, hoping it wont be too busy.

Try and book a quiet coach if it's at all possible and invest in some Pet Remedy to spray on a fleece you can use in or over the carrier. The station noises, people everywhere and journeying to the station can be stressful. You could try recording the sounds in the station of the people, announcements and trains on your phone, then play them back (loudly) at home a few days before the trip, so the noises would be already familiar.

I found travelling via train a lot better than via car. Lola travelled down to London twice via car and once via train. She refused eat when the car was moving so we had to stop off lots but on the train she ate, flopped and seemed to really enjoy it. I covered her carrier with a blanket to keep her warm and block out the noise :)

I have had two rabbits in a carrier together on a train (well we had to change twice so technically three trains). They were perfectly happy, flopping, eating and generally taking it all in their stride.

I agree with keeping the carrier covered (leaving plenty of ventilation obvs). I was amazed by how relaxed they were (two belgian hares) x

Thank you everyone for the tips and advice :) They are used to getting two buses to the vets, one very busy one through the centre if town and they're ok with that so fingers crossed.

Esupi - I'm going from Leeds to Hull :)

Back