• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis recovery

moosea

Young Bun
How long does it take?

Dandy had stasis bad for last two days - have been to vets and got gut stimulants, painkillers and critical care.

But she will not eat properly.
She eats parsley if hand fed it and small amounts of fresh grass but that is it.

Any advice please am worried sick.

How long does it take?

Dandy had stasis bad for last two days - have been to vets and got gut stimulants, painkillers and critical care.

She eats parsley if hand fed it and small amounts of fresh grass but that is it.

Gut stasis can be a secondary symptom of another problem as opposed to being an illness in it's own right. Did the Vet suggest what may be causing Dandy's gut stasis ? Dental problems ? Ear problems ? Bladder problems ?

It is necessary to try to ascertain a primary cause and treat that too, as well as treating the gut motility symptoms and pain.

What is her poo output like and is she drinking ? Fluids are very important in cases of gut stasis.

I would take Dandy back to the Vet for a review given that despite treatment she is still not eating much.

her poop out put is erratic - but so is her eating input.

Teeth were checked - all looked good.

Urine was normal - output decreased at moment but vet aware of this.

Vets advised that often the initial cause is not found. I suspect that it was some celery leaves she had on Saturday.

She normally drinks very little - am syringing water into my hands 5 times a day and she is drinking it.

I have to work until Tuesday - CANNOT take any more time off - obviously if it is an emergency then I will have to leave the job ... but then cant pay vets :/

her poop out put is erratic - but so is her eating input.

Teeth were checked - all looked good.

Urine was normal - output decreased at moment but vet aware of this.

Vets advised that often the initial cause is not found. I suspect that it was some celery leaves she had on Saturday.

She normally drinks very little - am syringing water into my hands 5 times a day and she is drinking it.

I have to work until Tuesday - CANNOT take any more time off - obviously if it is an emergency then I will have to leave the job ... but then cant pay vets :/

Could you ask the Vet to admit her for treatment. A decreased urinary output is a concern and she may benefit from IV fluids. Maybe you could drop her off at the Surgery on your way to work ?

I'll ring them tomorrow and ask if maybe she could be a day patient?

I don't want her left all night without supervision - at home I can sleep in her room with her

How long does it take?

I have had rabbits that I have been able to get out of stasis within minutes, but sometimes it can take hours and if the situation is bad, then days for them to recover.

Have you seen this article written by a well respected friend of mine:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

It gives you a few tips on managing stasis at home, when you can't always be available to take your rabbit to the vet.

Keep the faith. Most rabbits can recover from stasis.

Please get in touch with me if I can help further :D Good luck xx

Thank you Max. I have read that article .. several times in the last 48 hours!

She seems to improve ... then fail again.

Still will only eat wet herbs and am syringe feeding every 3 hours.

She will drink water - if it is syringed into my hand where she will lick it.

She had a dirty bum earlier so at least things are moving through, even if it is a slow process.

She is still a long way from herself, but considering that i thought I was loosing her 2 nights ago I suppose I'm lucky that she managed to hang in there.

There was no sign of blockage on palpitation and her temperature was normal. (38.6 I think)
The vet wanted to prescribe antibiotics but i refused on the basis that there were no signs of infection - normal temp etc.
I didn't want her to have anymore than she had to have medication wise.

She tried to drink from her bottle tonight by herself which I think is a good sign.

Think I am in for a long recovery with her - but thats ok ... as long as she is ok in the end.

It's just getting her eating again which seems to be the problem

Last edited:
Thank you Max. I have read that article .. several times in the last 48 hours!

She seems to improve ... then fail again.

Still will only eat wet herbs and am syringe feeding every 3 hours.

She will drink water - if it is syringed into my hand where she will lick it.

She had a dirty bum earlier so at least things are moving through, even if it is a slow process.

She is still a long way from herself, but considering that i thought I was loosing her 2 nights ago I suppose I'm lucky that she managed to hang in there.

There was no sign of blockage on palpitation and her temperature was normal. (38.6 I think)
The vet wanted to prescribe antibiotics but i refused on the basis that there were no signs of infection - normal temp etc.
I didn't want her to have anymore than she had to have medication wise.

She tried to drink from her bottle tonight by herself which I think is a good sign.

Think I am in for a long recovery with her - but thats ok ... as long as she is ok in the end.

It's just getting her eating again which seems to be the problem

I have had rabbits in complete stasis for up to two weeks, and syringing them every day and night. It's a hard chore but the patience pays off!

If she has pain killer (Metacam) and gut motility drugs then that's a great help. I also use Infacol and tummy rubs, which I find work wonders.

If her recovery doesn't improve, I should try and get some sub-Q fluids into her. Or IV at the vet. The contents of the gut can become very dehydrated and therefore hard to shift ... Fluids by mouth don't make a lot of difference to the impacted faeces ..

Good luck, thinking of you both xx

Hi, hope she is improving xx

Can you put water in a bowl for her? I have noticed all my buns over the years go for a bowl rather than a bottle, I don't bother with bottles now :)

My Shadow went through similar the other week, luckily I think we caught it quick but nearly a week later he was un-happy again after eating his way through a cardboard box, I removed it straight away along with all other cardboard toys and by the same evening he was normal again.

It does seem to take some time to bounce back, his poos are only now almost normal!

She seems brighter today. Her water has gone down more than normal - I suppose because she isn't getting moisture from her food.

Still only eating parsley and sporadic at best.

She has Metacam and gut stimulants.

I didn't want to use a water bowl while I am not around as it is hard to monitor whether water has been drunk or spilled.

Max - if it take 2 weeks that is fine .. as long as we get there! Am now into a routine of using syringes then washing syringes - seems a non stop task!

She laid her ears flat back at me earlier and grunted at me so it's nice to know my hard work is appreciated !!

Thanks for all the support x

She seems brighter today. Her water has gone down more than normal - I suppose because she isn't getting moisture from her food.

Still only eating parsley and sporadic at best.

She has Metacam and gut stimulants.

I didn't want to use a water bowl while I am not around as it is hard to monitor whether water has been drunk or spilled.

Max - if it take 2 weeks that is fine .. as long as we get there! Am now into a routine of using syringes then washing syringes - seems a non stop task!

She laid her ears flat back at me earlier and grunted at me so it's nice to know my hard work is appreciated !!

Thanks for all the support x

Moosea, this is a good report. Is the news still good this evening?

I agree about the use of syringes .. goes on forever. Well it seems like it at the time :roll:

Keep going .. you will get there!

Bit of info about it, just in case you want any more (which you probably don't!)

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

Think we are on way to recovery :D :D :D

She was hungry last night - still very wary of food but caught her eating hay and parsley!

Things are moving in the poop department too!

she's drinking plenty now, and even had a chew on the carpet last night!!!

Am still giving gut stimulants and critical care but have cut the volume down to 1/3rd

Thanks again for all the support - am off to pick grass in the rain and dark!!

Think we are on way to recovery :D :D :D

She was hungry last night - still very wary of food but caught her eating hay and parsley!

Things are moving in the poop department too!

she's drinking plenty now, and even had a chew on the carpet last night!!!

Am still giving gut stimulants and critical care but have cut the volume down to 1/3rd

Thanks again for all the support - am off to pick grass in the rain and dark!!

So very glad to hear this :thumb:

One tip .. Take a torch if you can. Whenever I do that I come back with handfuls of slugs from the wet grass :shock:

Back