• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay storage

Babsie

Wise Old Thumper
Wondering whether to invest in some kind of dustbins to store hay in my garage - would these be ok or does hay need some air?

Hay apparently needs air but I suppose it all depends on how long the hay will be stored. I should think small amounts would be ok in dustbins but not kept in plastic bags.

I keep mine in giant laundry bags with the top open but folded over, I am sure Tree keeps hers in bins.....

could you maybe drill some air holes in the bin? that should work to give it enough air

I use wire shelving units (mine are from Ikea but they're also available from Argos for a little bit cheaper): they're too small to fit a fullsize bale on but I can get a bale minus about 6" on, although it does overhang on the side. I sweep any fallen hay off the floor and into an open binbag for use in litter trays. It's a fantastic storage solution for me!

Thank you. At the moment I slit the bags and then put in boxes ... wondered if I could keep garage a bit tidier by using bins, particularly as I want to start putting car in garage again (I don't bother during the summer). Thinks again ... holes mean buying a drill ...

Thank you. At the moment I slit the bags and then put in boxes ... wondered if I could keep garage a bit tidier by using bins, particularly as I want to start putting car in garage again (I don't bother during the summer). Thinks again ... holes mean buying a drill ...

If the car is going in the garage, won't there be fumes? I use a duvet cover inside a shed to keep my bales of hay. I wouldn't want it to sweat in bags or bins, but don't want it to get damp either!

You don't have a drill Babsie? :lol:

I'd borrow one: I've leant mine out many times! It's very good: it's a 1980s one so all the new safety measures got missed XD

It was my paltry attempt at sarcasm :lol: I don't have one. I can't even charge up the hedge trimmer, which has been sitting in my house for the last two years :shock:

Useless I am :lol:

Wheely bins work well - they take a standard bale. As long as they are not in the sun (the hay will sweat and go off) and keep the rain out, any non-airtight container will do. If it is in a garage, it shouldn't be a problem.

The wheely bins for garden waste collection have breather holes under the handles - ideal for hay storage.

If the car is going in the garage, won't there be fumes? I use a duvet cover inside a shed to keep my bales of hay. I wouldn't want it to sweat in bags or bins, but don't want it to get damp either!

You don't have a drill Babsie? :lol:

I know, I'm useless aren't I? ............. But, as you know, I do have two composters (even if they are on the wonky wonk).:lol:
Yes, I would keep mine in the shed, if it wasn't leaking!

Wheely bins work well - they take a standard bale. As long as they are not in the sun (the hay will sweat and go off) and keep the rain out, any non-airtight container will do. If it is in a garage, it shouldn't be a problem.

The wheely bins for garden waste collection have breather holes under the handles - ideal for hay storage.

Thanks for that info!

It was my paltry attempt at sarcasm :lol: I don't have one. I can't even charge up the hedge trimmer, which has been sitting in my house for the last two years :shock:

Useless I am :lol:
lol no, I think I took it too far and got a bit obscure (text is not the best medium!). I used to have two drills ;P

Ours don't: they're just the normal ones with different coloured lids. But then none of our (council-supplied) wheelie bin lids fit fully, they're all on the very loose side.

I store my bales in a three sided shed extension with a nice large overhang which keeps the rain away. It keeps for ages and the rabbits are always glad to see it!

I also keep straw in a duvet cover in the same area.

Hope you find a good solution to keep it fresh and fume free!

Back