• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Break-out!

Ailstar

Mama Doe
So today, Levi and Daisy had a bit of unscheduled free-ranging time when their run literally blew over!!! Luckily my mum was at home and noticed what had happened and was able to run out and round them up. But honestly I am AMAZED that they didn't run off, they are right by a hedge at the top of the garden that they could easily have run under and out onto the road, and there are hedges they could have escaped under hedges at two other sides of the garden too, into neighbours gardens. By some miracle they didn't run off and she managed to herd them both back into the shed and into their hutch. Again I am amazed that they actually hopped into the shed of their own accord. I am also very relieved that they didn't get injured by the objects in the run blowing over and hitting them, or the run itself, or the bricks that my dad had weighed the run down with (obviously they weren't heavy enough to deal with the strong wind we had today) We are switching to using 3 garden chairs to weigh the run down with tomorrow!

I am however slightly concerned about what to use on the new run which is a LOT bigger than the existing run they have. What does everyone use to weight their runs down? That is easy enough to remove when you need to but heavy enough to stop it blowing over? The fact that the run has a cover on that can catch the wind also doesn't help matters!!!

Oh the ground pegs would have been a good idea but the run is on paving slabs so I can't put the pegs in! Which is a shame, because they are a really good solution.

Patio is awkward. What's your new run like? I know with the wooden framed one my Dad built me even each panel on it's own won't blow away. Maybe you could reinforce yours with a wood frame?

Could you screw it to the side of the shed and bolt it to the paving slabs. This is what I've done with my run and aviary that are on pacing and concrete.

MY bun escaped yesterday too! although our garden is secure, i don't cover my run as they can go into their hutch for shelter if they want to.

I find that planks of wood (floorboard or decking type planks) fit nicely across my big runs. If it is really windy, I use a couple of bricks on the plank (one at each end), or a small bag of compost in the middle. Not too pretty, but does the job of stopping the cover (corrugated roofing sheets) blowing off and is easy to move when not needed.

My tripod bunny lost his leg due to flying debris on a particularly gusty day, so I tend to be extra careful now. Bunnies are so fragile and accidents happen.

Back