• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutered male producing semen?

benroles

New Kit
Hi all,

I have a male (now 9 months old) that was neutered around 8-10 weeks ago. I'm now introducing to a spayed female (6 months). I'm taking them to neutral ground (a bathroom) and slowly (5 mins, 10 mins) bonding them on consecutive days.

However, all the male wants to do is mount and he ends up producing a yellow pool of nastiness which I can only assume is semen.

I assume that a neutering only stops sperm production, and not semen? Or did something actually not go right with the neuter?

As I say, she is also sorted so no chance of babies but I'll need to get him corrected if something isn't right!

Advice welcomed!

Thanks,
Ben.

Hi all,

I have a male (now 9 months old) that was neutered around 8-10 weeks ago. I'm now introducing to a spayed female (6 months). I'm taking them to neutral ground (a bathroom) and slowly (5 mins, 10 mins) bonding them on consecutive days.

However, all the male wants to do is mount and he ends up producing a yellow pool of nastiness which I can only assume is semen.

I assume that a neutering only stops sperm production, and not semen? Or did something actually not go right with the neuter?

As I say, she is also sorted so no chance of babies but I'll need to get him corrected if something isn't right!

Advice welcomed!

Thanks,
Ben.

Hi Ben and welcome to Rabbits United :wave:

A rabbit castration involves removing the testicles, so although a rabbit can hold semen in his body for a few weeks post neuter, by 8/10 weeks there won't be any left.

What you are seeing must be urine :) Males like to 'mark' their property in this way - sometimes by spraying and sometimes by urinating on it. He's just doing what a rabbit does :)

It takes male rabbit hormones about three months or so to settle down and subside. Hopefully after this time he won't be *quite* so interested in dominating his female companion!

Hi - thanks so much for the reply and welcome! What I find odd is it's happened three times now, and each time after some heavy thrusting. Interestingly, once the yellow patch appears he seems to calm down which seemed to make me doubt the urine theory (well.. if male rabbits are anything like male humans!) This is what is looks like (apologies if it's slightly gross!):

rXR8j.jpg

So based on the extra info, do you still reckon it's urine?

Hi - thanks so much for the reply and welcome! What I find odd is it's happened three times now, and each time after some heavy thrusting. Interestingly, once the yellow patch appears he seems to calm down which seemed to make me doubt the urine theory (well.. if male rabbits are anything like male humans!) This is what is looks like (apologies if it's slightly gross!):

rXR8j.jpg

So based on the extra info, do you still reckon it's urine?

I absolutely reckon it's urine! A rabbit does not produce that amount of semen and that colour ..

However, you seem very determined that it's semen, so I reckon you should take him back to the vet and query it, and especially whether the job of castration was done correctly in the first place.

Do come back and report back when you have - you never know, I could be completely wrong :D

I am almost certain that is urine, I have seen rabbit ejaculate and it didn't look like that!

Looks like urine to me too.

Castration involved removing the testicles and part of the tubes. There is no way a vet could doubt if its been done as the testicles are simply no longer present.
If you're still unsure I'd say take him back to the vet for a check up and to check for any infection present but I'd say its nothing to worry about.

Maybe allow him a little longer to allow his hormones to leave his system which will hopefully prevent him from urinating on the female and then introduce him to the female without separating them. If there is no aggression between them provided you can monitor I'd say leave them together for longer periods of time.

The reason he keeps mounting the female is to reinforce his position in the hierarchy so each time you reintroduce them he will have to mount her. IF you were to keep them together full-time the mounting would soon subside as they would both know their position and they could then start to get to know one another better. As they haven't attacked one another (?) it is looking promising.

once the yellow patch appears he seems to calm down... well.. if male rabbits are anything like male humans!
:lol:

me too, giggling in anticipation as I scrolled, ahhh, I've missed RU (I think):lol:

I must have a reputation as a scurrilous old lady. There was a perfectly innocent thread on RU the other day with a most suggestive line... and I never mentioned it!

Hello Rabbit Gang - thanks so much for your responses! Tonight was COMPLETELY different... they went on their date for around an hour and there wasn't one bit of chasing or mounting. Just eat their dinner nicely, did a bit of grooming (themselves and each other) - a little bit of cosying up. Was really good.

And one of them still made a little corner yellow patch so I think it definitely is urine!!

Certainly though things were much calmer tonight. To the point I could leave them for 5-10 mins to get on with it. It was quite funny when I returned as they both kind of shot apart like school kids that had been caught!

I'm definitely thinking all is good now though - maybe they needed last night to get their pecking order sorted.

Thanks again for your help - will let you know how it all goes!

B.

Glad things are settling down, sounds like they are going to get along fine. Maybe you ought to check out his diet if his urine looks like that - it might be connected to that.

So... On the colour front I did think it was a bit vivid! He eats quite a bit of greens - kale, broccoli, cauliflower and parsley. This is then augmented with the dry food and then hay. He has a treat once a week which is a seedy chew thing. What could cause the yellowness?

I do think they will get on fine though!

Hello Rabbit Gang - thanks so much for your responses! Tonight was COMPLETELY different... they went on their date for around an hour and there wasn't one bit of chasing or mounting. Just eat their dinner nicely, did a bit of grooming (themselves and each other) - a little bit of cosying up. Was really good.

And one of them still made a little corner yellow patch so I think it definitely is urine!!

Certainly though things were much calmer tonight. To the point I could leave them for 5-10 mins to get on with it. It was quite funny when I returned as they both kind of shot apart like school kids that had been caught!

I'm definitely thinking all is good now though - maybe they needed last night to get their pecking order sorted.

Thanks again for your help - will let you know how it all goes!

B.

Glad to hear things are calming down! There is always a pecking order to get sorted with rabbits, you are right.

Good luck xx

Back