• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am extremely sick of hearing this phrase...

Well if it weren't for responsible breeders there would be no one to maintain healthy genetic diversity or to preserve rare breeds. There would just be the rabbit mills, irresponsible breeders (also known as backyard breeders, but I don't like this term), and accidental pregnancies.

I do agree that that phrase is silly - it's too broad - but I agree with the sentiments of it. Responsible breeders are so undervalued.

Well if it weren't for responsible breeders there would be no one to maintain healthy genetic diversity or to preserve rare breeds. There would just be the rabbit mills, irresponsible breeders (also known as backyard breeders, but I don't like this term), and accidental pregnancies.

I do agree that that phrase is silly - it's too broad - but I agree with the sentiments of it. Responsible breeders are so undervalued.

I think I'm just sick of people using it as an excuse not to rescue....all conversations go the same way.

I think I'm just sick of people using it as an excuse not to rescue....all conversations go the same way.

For a rabbit lover who knows the plight of rescue rabbits and how many there are ... to visit a breeder .. is selfish and callous IMO.

For a rabbit lover who knows the plight of rescue rabbits and how many there are ... to visit a breeder .. is selfish and callous IMO.

I always say that I think breeders should have to have a license and breeding should be ceased until the number in rescues is dramatically reduced, then and only then can breeding be allowed, and only by reputable, responsible and licensed breeders.

I have no idea if it would work but, I can dream I guess. x

p.s Just as a side note, both Milo and Finnlay came from a breeder, so I don't want it to appear that I am hypocritical of having a go at anyone who has acquired their rabbits from breeders. I just wish it was as above that's all.

Last edited:

Yeah, I know what you mean. People use that as an excuse for eating meat as well. "If it weren't for people breeding pigs (etc) for meat, there wouldn't be any pigs". Argh. Wrong in so many ways.

Back