• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopt older bunbuns!

catxx

Mama Doe
Rabbit Residence put out a press release yesterday to local press as they have so many adoptable rabbits at the moment who were born between 2008-2012, everyone wants single ladies or youngsters, our older bonded pairs just spend so long in rescue :(:(

ITV Anglia have helped out so far!
http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2015-12-07/plea-for-homes-for-elderly-rabbits/
Yes the two in the piccy are available for adoption, Delta & Scamper, both born in 2009.

Keep an on local press if you're in the Herts/Essex/Cambs area ;)

Haven't opened the link yet but it is such a shame that older rabbits get overlooked. Same with cat rescues I'm associated with - kittens go quickly but often the older cats just don't get a look in. Personally I love to give a home to an older pet.

My older pair (six years) from RRR are healthy, easy and super rewarding.

I love them and would absolutely encourage people to adopt older rabbits as they are just as active and cute as younger rabbits.
Adopting them was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
They're so easy to take care of and much less messy than my younger buns too. I would always opt to adopt older rabbits that have been overlooked from now on.

My foster rabbits, Claudia and Nemo are older rabbits also from RRR and are available for adoption :D :D :D

Last edited:
Now in the Herts Mercury! Also in the paper copy with lovely Stilton on the front page. Technically not one of our older bunnies at 3 years but they needed hi-res piccies at short notice! Bibbles has also been adopted, but she wanted a photo with people in and that's all I had to panic find in an hour to meet a deadline. S'all good though.

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co....on-prove-age/story-28339949-detail/story.html

Had to slightly tut at the miss-spelling of my name, why my old age had to be there and that's not *quite* how I said it but nevermind! Press is good!!

I do feel so bad about older animals not getting homes because of their age :( In the future I'd love to rescue older animals.

Older bunnies aren't always unhealthier either :thumb:

Yeah, and if they've been in rescue for a long time then they'll know their health history including things like if they've ever had recurrent issues like stasis or dental probs etc. Plus older animals have a more stable personality (compared to young animals that will grow and change) so rescues will be able to match them to their new owners well. I imagine a lot of people that get a baby bunny/kitten/puppy and then later get rid of it because it's too difficult wouldnt do so if they had gotten older neutered animals that are generally calmer and less naughty!

Had to slightly tut at the miss-spelling of my name, why my old age had to be there and that's not *quite* how I said it but nevermind! Press is good!!
All the same things I thought every time I've been in the paper (I'm such a press-wh*re ;P). Lovely article with lovely pictures :)

I'm in the process of adopting a 7 year old male rabbit :love: He will be coming to live with me just before Christmas I cant wait for him to come join our family :love: when I first joined this forum as a teenager I was very much for baby rabbits but now I've matured I can really see the ones that really need someone to love them and its the poor overlooked rabbits :love:

To add to this though once my little oldie is here once hes settled Id be open to trying to bond him a with a fellow old female around the same age as him so I can imagine I'll have my eyes peeled for the rescues around me to see if they get anyone in.

Last edited:
I have an older bonded pair and they are brilliant.They snuggle loads, and generally potter about their enclosure quite happily.Id definitely adopt older buns again.

Poor buns. Personally, I'd rather adopt older ones in future. I got my girls as babies and they were a lot of work, and so messy! :?

Back