• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do all my rabbits die young? :(

I just feel so down right now. We suddenly lost Velvet 2 days ago and again it's a rabbit of mine that has died young. I have had to bury 8 of lovely bunnies and I don't think I can cope with burying any more. :cry:

I lost Jasper in 2011 and he was almost 2. He passed when I was on holiday, the boarder found him fitting in his bed, it was all very sudden.

I also lost Blossom in 2011, also when I was on holiday. She was a frail bun though, I had taken her on from someone who neglected her and she'd been through a lot in her life. I believe she was about 5/6 years old.

Mischief passed away in 2012. He was my dental bun and eventually an abscess in his mouth caused us to lose him. :cry: He was almost 3.

Mischief's sister Tinkerbell died in 2013 due to suspected kidney failure. She was nearly 4.

The next bun I lost was Theo aged 2 years and 2 months. He had an abscess in his jaw and was on daily medication for it. Sadly it beat him as it spread into his lungs and he was put to sleep in October last year.

Poppy was my stray bun so we have no idea how old she was. She had a gut problem and was also on daily medication. We lost her on Christmas Day.

Hector died suddenly in January of this year. It was an absolute shock but we believe it was heart failure. He was about 4.

Then of course I just lost Velvet and you probably know what happened with her if you have seen my post in RB.

I just can't deal with this anymore. 8 rabbits have died so young. Yet I know people with just one and they don't care about them at all yet they live years. It really hurts when I get comments from people saying I'm killing them off or asking why mine 'ALWAYS die'. I try give them the best lives and they always get veterinary treatment if they're ill but it just seems impossible for my rabbits to live to the age of 5 (apart from Blossom but I don't even know if she was past 5 years old)[SUP][/SUP].

I feel like such a failure and now I've been put off wanting more rabbits ever again because I can't deal with the heartbreak it brings. I have Primrose and Reuben now. I believe they're both about 2 or 3. They're rescues so I don't know their exact ages. I just want to know what I'm doing wrong? It's not fair. :cry:

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like it is anything you're doing. Good accommodation, diet and vet visits when needed is all any of us can do. Rabbits are really delicate pets to keep and they can just go so easily. My two are getting on now but my last rabbit only made it to 6 months. It's absolutely devestating losing youngsters :(

Emma I don't think you're doing anything wrong..you've have just been unlucky
Or maybe these bunnies were meant for you as while with you they have a great life.
Don't be put off having more in future. If we give them the best we can that's all we can do.
A short happy life is far better than a long miserable one.
I doubt they have a concept of time so to them they have just had space, friends and good food..all they could want xxxx

You're not doing anything wrong. It's just what was meant to be for these bunnies, you are a good and caring owner. Grieve for those you have lost and cuddle those you still have xxx

I'm so sorry you have been unlucky. I have seen other threads of yours and i have seen your videos and you need to know that you provided those bunnies with the best life whilst they were here. Better for them to have a short but fantastic life than to have a long but unhappy one.

xx

You haven't done anything wrong. You are willing to take on some frail bunnies that others would never have bothered with, it sounds like several would not have lived as long as they did without you willing to dote on them and give them the vet care they needed <3

You aren't doing anything wrong, Emma. I have felt like this too on occasions and I know it doesn't make any sense and it feels so unfair when you compare our losses against the people who just have a single poor rabbit in a hutch, without a proper standard of care, and they survive for years.

It is obvious that you give your rabbits the absolute best. Giving them our best is all we can ever do, but sadly some rabbits are not dealt a good hand healthwise. Giving our rabbits a few years or months of a wonderful top quality life far outweighs a longer life stuck in a miserable hutch.

I know it's so difficult when you have your heart broken over and over again, but try and focus on how happy you have made all your bunnies during the time that they have been with you. xx

Sadly so many buns are prone to abscesses and dental problems. You unfortunately don't know their parents, back ground etc and they could have been over bred. Look at pets at home, for example - it is so common for people to buy rabbits from P@H and they die shortly after, because of their back ground.

You have done your very best but cannot sadly predict what health issues they would get. Hugs xxx

It really hurts when they go so young - just seems so flippin unfair doesn't it. You've had to deal with so many as well - I am so very sorry.

It isn't anything YOU'RE doing - just that buns are delicate and complex little creatures and who knows what sort of problems they are hiding. I've had so many sick buns this year I'm doubting my care - but the logical side of me is saying 'rubbish - you're doing everything you can for these little furry beasts'... and the same applies to you.

Mega big hugs xxxxxxxxx

You poor munchkin, how absolutely horrible. I was very lucky with my boys in that they lived to 7 and 11, despite many health problems, but I can relate as my dogs died at 10 months, 3 and 7 - no age for Border collies. It is so, so hard to be put through the mangle again and again and again like that.

I don't even know what to suggest, I wish I did. The only thing I can say is at least they had you. Even if you can't go through it again those 8 buns had the best lives they could have had because of you, and that will always be a consolation.

Mine both passed away at 5 years old as well. Boris had snuffles and although he had been OK for some time I think his heart just couldn't take it. Bella died very suddenly from unknown causes, but I think she might've had cancer. It's unfair and I used to blame myself, but I now know there was nothing I could really do.

So far we've lost Barnaby & Fili, who were both under 3 years, from things we couldn't have prevented (peritonitis and intestinal tumours) but it still hurts that we didn't have more time together, not just us but for Mylo too, who is still waiting to be bonded with partner number 4 (she's only 4 years old herself). Can't help but have this horrible feeling we're not even going to get to that stage.

It does sound like you have been very unlucky. We all look after our rabbits the best we can and we have all had losses. They are just so delicate. Really hope this thread can ease your pain. xx

Rabbits are such fragile animals and they are also masters of disguising illness as we all know.I lost 5 in a very short space of time and it naturally makes you worry but I know your rabbits get excellent care and you've simply had a run of very bad luck.Totally heartbreaking-Im so sorry:(

Sending (((hugs)))xx

sorry to hear about velvet :cry: its nothing your doing wrong as already mentioned, maybe these buns where sent to you as they would get such good care

From the rabbits point of view- it's far better to have a lovely, but maybe shorter, life that a long, yet neglected one. 'Quality over quantity'. It sucks and is so painful for you but their souls are all ok- they know love and fun and happiness. You can't do more than that.

I am so sorry for your losses. Some of your adoptees were older when you received them, and they were lucky to have some good time with a person who gave them the love and care all bunnies deserve.
While I have owned bunnies who lived a long time, I also have lost many young bunnies too.

From the rabbits point of view- it's far better to have a lovely, but maybe shorter, life that a long, yet neglected one. 'Quality over quantity'. It sucks and is so painful for you but their souls are all ok- they know love and fun and happiness. You can't do more than that.

Very wise words.

For us losing a young Rabbit can be especially hard to come to terms with, I know. With any loss I guess we all question ourselves and whether we could or should have done more. I think self doubt and feeling 'responsible' comes with the territory when we have Rabbits. Or any Pet really.

They are very fragile - they just die. It isn't your fault at all, and you gave them the best lives you could.

It's always been my belief that animals value their life in the moment, and longevity is something we put value on. It's heart breaking to lose a pet whatever age they are, but just as with losing our human family/friends, it's us that do the mourning for the life we feel they should have had, not them ...

I'm so sorry for all your losses :cry:

Back