• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Are There Side Effects to the New Vaccine?

DebbieC

Warren Scout
Hi guys, I just have a quick question. I have heard that the vaccine has slightly changed recently and I just wondered if any one has had any problems with their buns afterwards?

Penny had her jab on Monday and on Friday she stopped pooping and was clearly in discomfort. We took her to the vets and it turns out she was constipated. Thankfully she is fine now after taking meds *touches wood* however I just wondered if it could be related as we haven't changed anything in her routine/diet and she was fine after her jab last year.

More than likely a coincidence and I know everything *can* have side effects but just wanted to check no one elses buns had experienced anything afterwards

Hi guys, I just have a quick question. I have heard that the vaccine has slightly changed recently and I just wondered if any one has had any problems with their buns afterwards?

Penny had her jab on Monday and on Friday she stopped pooping and was clearly in discomfort. We took her to the vets and it turns out she was constipated. Thankfully she is fine now after taking meds *touches wood* however I just wondered if it could be related as we haven't changed anything in her routine/diet and she was fine after her jab last year.

More than likely a coincidence and I know everything *can* have side effects but just wanted to check no one elses buns had experienced anything afterwards

Hello

As you have noted, all vaccines have some small risk of side effects. They can make a Rabbit feel a bit off colour as the vaccine challenges the Rabbit's immune system. Rather as we may feel a bit 'off' after a 'Flu jab.

For details of the side effects of the Myxo-RHD vaccine take a look on here :

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-67996.html

I am glad to hear that Penny is feeling better now. For future reference about Gut Stasis in Rabbits this may be useful to read:

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/managing-gi-stasis-in-rabbits/

Hello

As you have noted, all vaccines have some small risk of side effects. They can make a Rabbit feel a bit off colour as the vaccine challenges the Rabbit's immune system. Rather as we may feel a bit 'off' after a 'Flu jab.

For details of the side effects of the Myxo-RHD vaccine take a look on here :

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-67996.html

I am glad to hear that Penny is feeling better now. For future reference about Gut Stasis in Rabbits this may be useful to read:

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/managing-gi-stasis-in-rabbits/

Thank you Jane

Hi Debbie

All vaccines (human and animal) challenge the immune system, so for that reason alone any condition that was 'brewing' is likely to come out or get worse. That's why only healthy rabbits should be vaccinated.

I hope Penny continues to be well :thumb:

Hi Debbie

All vaccines (human and animal) challenge the immune system, so for that reason alone any condition that was 'brewing' is likely to come out or get worse. That's why only healthy rabbits should be vaccinated.

I hope Penny continues to be well :thumb:

Thank you very much MightyMax

Hi all, AN UPDATE.

I got home and changed her cage bedding 'n' all. With the help of my sister we took her out the cage and gave her some free range time in my room. I did a full eye,ear,mouth,nose and privates check. ALL WAS PERFECT, Exactly as the subordinate described at pets at home. After this my sister went home and my girlfriend came. We came up with an almost trial and error method. (My girlfriend owned a bunny (French lop floppsy) and said that what she was doing was not sneezing). This led us to take various things from her cage and put them next to her. First the bedding straw and she ate it (cute) but did not sneeze. Then we tried the Timothy hay and still no sneeze, then we tried the wood shavings and within 5 minutes she was 'sneezing' several times. As we speak she is on the bed smelling my laptop and being stroked my my girlfriend.

when I changed her bedding note I did not add the wood chipping.

Thank you all fro your help today, it was very much appreciated.

Hi all, AN UPDATE.

I got home and changed her cage bedding 'n' all. With the help of my sister we took her out the cage and gave her some free range time in my room. I did a full eye,ear,mouth,nose and privates check. ALL WAS PERFECT, Exactly as the subordinate described at pets at home. After this my sister went home and my girlfriend came. We came up with an almost trial and error method. (My girlfriend owned a bunny (French lop floppsy) and said that what she was doing was not sneezing). This led us to take various things from her cage and put them next to her. First the bedding straw and she ate it (cute) but did not sneeze. Then we tried the Timothy hay and still no sneeze, then we tried the wood shavings and within 5 minutes she was 'sneezing' several times. As we speak she is on the bed smelling my laptop and being stroked my my girlfriend.

when I changed her bedding note I did not add the wood chipping.

Thank you all fro your help today, it was very much appreciated.

Well done Sherlock - you've solved the mystery :D

hope you'll keep in touch and let us know how you get on with your new bunny :)

Back