• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buns "off" pellets UPDATE LAST POST

Kara

Warren Veteran
So it was a week ago Shadow had to go to the OOH vet and he had pain relief and gut stimulant and by morning was much better and he has been OK so far.

I am so used to them both trying to hoover the pellets up at an alarming rate that I am flummoxed this last week when they BOTH don't dive for them, they do eat them but not at super speed :lol:

Are they like us, can they go off stuff?

They are big hay eaters, they have dried herbs, fresh forage, fennel, strawberry leaves - so I know they are eating.

Last edited:
I would suggest getting the teeth checked - especially the back ones. Pellets are hard so if they have a sore mouth eg. from spurs cutting in to soft tissue, the harder food tends to be avoided.

However, if they are BOTH off the pellets, there could be other reasons - maybe the bag has gone 'off' (damp? mould?). Try a new batch to see if it makes a difference?

I would keep a very close eye on them and check their poo. Any change from normal, go back to the vet for a full MOT.

Thanks Shimmer, well apparently they have now eaten their morning pellets...

They both tried to take my fingers off last night at fenugreek crnuchie time!

I shall monitor them and see how they go.

I did a search on here for "GI Stasis" for any bits I could gleam and I made the mistake on Saturday of making them a hidey snuggle box which I left in their hutch over night, by the morning it wa a tunnel and Shadow was not himself....by the evening he was fine... ALL CARDBOARD NOW REMOVED!

Thanks Shimmer, well apparently they have now eaten their morning pellets...

They both tried to take my fingers off last night at fenugreek crnuchie time!

I shall monitor them and see how they go.

I did a search on here for "GI Stasis" for any bits I could gleam and I made the mistake on Saturday of making them a hidey snuggle box which I left in their hutch over night, by the morning it wa a tunnel and Shadow was not himself....by the evening he was fine... ALL CARDBOARD NOW REMOVED!

:thumb:

I agree with Shimmer about 'teeth' being a possible issue. So if the problem persists I'd get the Vet to check them both over again.

I assume it's not a new bag of pellets ? Sometimes a subtle change in recipe can mean a Rabbit wont appear to be so keen to eat them.

Are they both good hay eaters ? Hay is far more important than pellets.

Is there poo looking 'normal', not small and dry.

The SS is a huge bag about 1/4 way through...

The vet did have a good look at Shadows teef, I will bear this in mind for both thoug!

Yes very good hay eaters, they dive in every day.

Shadows poo had been looking smaller I guess due to last weeks problems - I could tell them apart! but they were almost back to normal.

I'll update later :)

The SS is a huge bag about 1/4 way through...

The vet did have a good look at Shadows teef, I will bear this in mind for both thoug!

Yes very good hay eaters, they dive in every day.

Shadows poo had been looking smaller I guess due to last weeks problems - I could tell them apart! but they were almost back to normal.

I'll update later :)

To be fair, I always find with my dental buns that pellets are the very *last* thing they stop eating, as it's a crunching motion rather than grinding. When teeth are getting spurs, it's much harder to grind side to side than chomp up and down, so it's the hay and readigrass that gets jettisoned first!

Glad to hear they were eating heartily by the last post there :D

Both eating for England tonight, everything roo!!!!

Cardboard still out and I'll carry on with my constant checking!

Shadow actually got in the carrier bag of forage this evening.

Both eating for England tonight, everything roo!!!!

Cardboard still out and I'll carry on with my constant checking!

Shadow actually got in the carrier bag of forage this evening.

Well if you cant get the staff to serve dinner quickly enough what else is a Rabbit to do !!

Hope all remains well now xx

Hay from the bag :lol:
12299368_10153853909646742_8153362922721957123_n.jpg

Fresh forage from the bag :lol:
12359957_10153853909916742_9052303639103590579_n.jpg

Hay from the bag :lol:
12299368_10153853909646742_8153362922721957123_n.jpg

Fresh forage from the bag :lol:
12359957_10153853909916742_9052303639103590579_n.jpg

Haha, I have one like that Kara :lol:

We have a big yellow bag that contains 'The Rabbit Food' and it comes into the kitchen every night to make a delicious meal. Except Sir gets into the bag every night as well to see what he can scrounge :lol:

Poo output nearly normal, fighting and clambering over each other to get to the bowl, eating Lady & the Tramp style but with snatchy jaws, hovering up pellets, taking my fingers off for fenugreek crunchies.....yep I'd say they are both back to normal...

Need to stock up on non cardboard toys now so they don't fill up on the bloomn stuff :roll:

So after a couple of weeks with both of them on / off pellets but eating everything else I thought I'd try them with their old pellets (Harringtons) which I stopped using and gradually changed over to SS a couple of months ago, they hoovered them up straight away and again at bedtime :roll:

I don't feed a huge amount of pellets so I will play it by ear for now!

Little tinkers :lol: it's a good job they are cute!!!

Back