• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing

rowan.godfrey

Alpha Buck
I noticed a few days ago one of my buns started sneezing. He seems perfectly well, eating like a horse and vigorously trying to eat my clothes when I sat with them tonight. Bright, clean eyes with a clean nose (no discharge). I did switch them from a local farms meadow hay to the vastly more expensive Timothy Hay from Timothy Hay.co.uk. at about the same time.

Is it possible the new hay is bothering him? It makes my eyes itch I have to say. He is still eating enough of it though, I thought being stalkier it would be better for their teeth?

If thought likely I will switch them back to meadow hay immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It could be the hay if it is making your eyes itch. I would go back to the other hay and monitor the situation. Hope bunny stops sneezing.

It could be the hay if it is making your eyes itch. I would go back to the other hay and monitor the situation. Hope bunny stops sneezing.

I agree

But if the sneezing continues and/or he develops a nasal discharge it's very important that he is examined by a Vet, including the Vet listening to his lungs. 'Dry' sneezes can occur if a Rabbit has a lung or heart problem. Both seem unlikely in your Rabbit's case as he remains so well within himself and very active. An allergy is a more likely scenario xx

Thanks both, I will switch back to the old hay today & cross my fingers! I do sit with them for at least 30 minutes each day so I keep an eye on them during this period. Worth being aware of the risks, thanks again.

Hi Jacks-Jane, my vet is Iain Cope at Cambs Vet Group, so I know I am in good hands there!

So I did speak to the vets because I was a little worried. They do seem to think because he is so active and eating well etc. it is an allergy, I changed the hay back and if he doesn't stop sneezing over the next couple of days he is going in. He was happy tonight, in fact when I gave him a barley ring he did an actual somersault. Can't say I've seen that before.

So I did speak to the vets because I was a little worried. They do seem to think because he is so active and eating well etc. it is an allergy, I changed the hay back and if he doesn't stop sneezing over the next couple of days he is going in. He was happy tonight, in fact when I gave him a barley ring he did an actual somersault. Can't say I've seen that before.

Hi there :wave:

I have definitely had rabbits with the symptoms you describe that were attributed to allergies to hay. Sometimes when you switch the hay the allergy will subside. Sometimes (if you're unlucky) the allergy will continue.

It sounds like all will be well with your little one :D

Sounds as though he is feeling fine within himself. Lucky you having such a Rabbit Savvy Vet !!

Thanks both! I only got to spend a minute with him today as I am going out, but the area under his nose doesn't seem so dark, I will sit with him later tonight or tomorrow but he was tucking into his fresh hay when I left him.

Jacks-Jane, the vets is an hour away but they truely are wonderful and will prescribe meds to my local vets so I can collect them there, you can't ask for more than that.

Thanks both! I only got to spend a minute with him today as I am going out, but the area under his nose doesn't seem so dark, I will sit with him later tonight or tomorrow but he was tucking into his fresh hay when I left him.

Jacks-Jane, the vets is an hour away but they truely are wonderful and will prescribe meds to my local vets so I can collect them there, you can't ask for more than that.

Glad to hear he is pleased with his new hay :D

Your vet sounds brilliant! The best of both worlds there ...

That's an additional bonus ! I hope the sneezing is resolving now.

He was ok this morning thanks Max, I will be sitting with them shortly so will get a better idea!

Aw bless, they obviously had a bit of a scrap today. Bits of his and her fur in the shed tonight, not a great deal and no damage to either thankfully. He is still sneezing but it seems less intense and his nose isn't dark any more but I am still going to try and get him to the vets tomorrow or Friday just for a checkup. I think they will need to be separated this week anyway, while still no sign of his testicles, I take the fluff today to mean they are starting to mature and he needs to be snipped!

Aw bless, they obviously had a bit of a scrap today. Bits of his and her fur in the shed tonight, not a great deal and no damage to either thankfully. He is still sneezing but it seems less intense and his nose isn't dark any more but I am still going to try and get him to the vets tomorrow or Friday just for a checkup. I think they will need to be separated this week anyway, while still no sign of his testicles, I take the fluff today to mean they are starting to mature and he needs to be snipped!

Yeah you're probably right about the snippage.

Hope all goes well for you at the vets! Good luck :)

Thanks Max, all friendly last night & this morning & busy destroying toys. Vets Saturday AM at the moment so will update.

Well all good news! Che has been given a clean bill of health and the vet believes it is an allergy. No sneezing at the moment. In other good news, his testicles have just started to drop so he has been separated from his sister and booked for the snip on 6th Jan. So he is living inside with me at the moment which is nice :)

Well all good news! Che has been given a clean bill of health and the vet believes it is an allergy. No sneezing at the moment. In other good news, his testicles have just started to drop so he has been separated from his sister and booked for the snip on 6th Jan. So he is living inside with me at the moment which is nice :)

Glad to hear that all is well :D Although he may not agree if you've told him he's off to see the Plum Fairy in January............ :?

He seems to be taking it well ;)
1356670979a87fd0f7edf4f047229da3.jpg

Back