• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Trimming Nails

Calathea

Young Bun
Our new bun, Freya, has very sharp nails. They aren't long, just sharp but it's got me thinking about nail clipping/trimming - is it fairly easy to do? Does anyone here do it themselves or is it best to have a vet do it? We do our cats ourselves so have some experience but wanted to check with you guys first :)

I do a lot of mine as lomng as they sit still. White nails are easy as you can see the quick, black ones are more tricky so I just cut to the end of the fur, they are happier with me doing the front feet than the back ones :?

Mine are pretty good. They will very happily go onto their backs for me to clip them. I only ever take the sharp tip off as mine love to dig and need their nails for this.

I tried to let the vets do it when i went in for checkups.

I always tried to avoid cutting the rabbits nails.

Lately i've been putting them on concrete etc when free ranging or on weekends in nice weather so that their nails get worn down more, of course i still check to see if the nail are long nd really do need cutting.

I've often wondered how people manage to trim nails just by themselves. I can't work out the logistics of it - wrapped in a towel I might just be able to do the front paws, but how do you get to the back ones?

All academic for me really. Snoopy's nails are black and I'd be too nervous of catching the quick. Plus I'm far too clumsy to hold a bunny, a torch and nail clippers at the same time :lol: And it would be a cold day in Hell before Peanut Butter would let me trim his! So they would have to have it done at the vets.

I do my rabbits nails :thumb: I can't say I find it easy, but then my rabbits are not too happy with being handled anyway. I bring each one inside, kneel on the floor with the rabbit facing forward between my legs. I find them being on the ground makes them less stressed. I then do each paw, making sure that I don't hold it too tightly in case they struggle (they haven't yet but could do). Front ones are certainly easier than back. I err on the side of leaving more on than perhaps the vet would, but I think that's better than making them bleed. I found your post funny Scrappy's Little Helper :lol:

I actually just clipped my rabbit's nails like an hour ago! I do them myself, I actually kinda enjoy it. My rabbits don't :lol: They're really good about it though and stay very still - I always think there's no way I could stay so stock still while someone is giving me a pedicure, or for whatever reason, really :lol: So I guess they don't hate it but they aren't very impressed so I make sure they get some yummy treats afterwards!

I usually sit on the floor and place them in my lap and then put my hand around their chest and gently lift the front part of their body, so that they look basically like they're standing on their hind legs with their back against my chest. I do their front paws that way, and then for the back nails I often just have them sit naturally in my lap, lift a paw and separate the nail from the toe fur with one hand and clip with the other. Or I leave them in the first position I described and kinda use a combination of my hand and my arm to hold them in place while using the other hand to clip. They stay so still that I barely have to hold them in place anyway.

A lot of their nails are black so I shine a little flashlight underneath their nails sometimes to make sure I know where the quick is. :)

I just clipped who knows how many cat nails as well and the difference between the bunnies and cats is night and day! :lol: A few act like they're being murdered, some barely move (but still not as good as the buns), and others are really wriggly but still very manageable to do quickly. And Luna I just avoid completely :lol: Kovu is bad too, I do him in his sleep mostly...he gives me this look like he's going to attack me, and he is known for attacking people for the slightest annoyance so I back off after a few nails usually and go back when he's asleep again lol.

Back