• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice about mites please!

benjiboom

Warren Scout
Benji has been diagnosed with mites, probably from the hay as we only have benji , he has had 2 treatments of xeno spot on at the vets and will have a 3rd treatment in 4 weeks, I have thrown away his bed and his soft toys and the rug in the living room that he lies on , he is a house bunny, but my question is, do I have to treat the new rug that he lies on aswell, can the mites still infest the rug??:evil:

Benji has been diagnosed with mites, probably from the hay as we only have benji , he has had 2 treatments of xeno spot on at the vets and will have a 3rd treatment in 4 weeks, I have thrown away his bed and his soft toys and the rug in the living room that he lies on , he is a house bunny, but my question is, do I have to treat the new rug that he lies on aswell, can the mites still infest the rug??:evil:

If he still has mites the rug could be a source of re-infestation, adult female mites and eggs can live for up to 10 days off the host.

Aww poor benji bless him.. Mites are horrible! I am currently treating both my bunnies for them.. I have disinfected & hoovered everything apart from under our bed which is annoying me but me & my partner can't lift it! :(

Have you noticed if he's itching less? To be fair my two are 3 weeks into treatment & their fur us looking much better & not nibbling at themselves as much! (Although they are currently moulting due to being house buns too which doesn't help!)

Xx

Aww poor benji bless him.. Mites are horrible! I am currently treating both my bunnies for them.. I have disinfected & hoovered everything apart from under our bed which is annoying me but me & my partner can't lift it! :(

Have you noticed if he's itching less? To be fair my two are 3 weeks into treatment & their fur us looking much better & not nibbling at themselves as much! (Although they are currently moulting due to being house buns too which doesn't help!)

Xx

Thanks , I hoover the rug everyday, and all the floors are wooden thank goodness! Benji is having his 3rd treatment in 4 weeks, and his fur is nearly back to normal, but I am just wondering if I should treat the rug in the living room, it's his favourite place to sleep every evening!

Aww how I'd love to have wooden floors, bet it's a god send with hay! As my carpet gets covered so quickly!

Probably a stupid question but is it a short haired rug? With my carpet, I have disinfected it by rubbing into it some dettol & warm water & hoovered up straight after, I have done this twice & will look to do it again next week, with also hoovering daily! But personally yes i would try & do something with it to be safe x

Yes, the wooden floors definitely help!;) Think I might ask at pets at home for something that's safe to use with bunny in the house!

Can you beg, borrow or steal a steam cleaner? It's absolutely the best and safest way to disinfect!

I steam cleaned and vacuumed...and empty the vacuum cleaner and give that a steam too.

Or use andorex...but room must be well ventilated after use and fabrics dry.

I read earlier today on the internet that steam cleaning doesn't help and that it creates a better atmosphere for the mites to live in? Is this right?:?

I read earlier today on the internet that steam cleaning doesn't help and that it creates a better atmosphere for the mites to live in? Is this right?:?

Yes, steam cleaning is not ideal for enviromental control of mites

'Shampooing and steam cleaning are not ideal; their residual humidity can increase the mite problem. '

Full details here :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

Although some Steam Cleaner manufacturers will say that steam cleaners do effectively kill the mites, but the manufacturers have a vested interest in saying that !

Last edited:

Steam cleaning will kill the mites, but you do have to make sure the carpets dry off well afterwards. I feel it's the lesser of two evils, as the alternative is chemical sprays, and I'm not prepared to use them near my rabbits ...

Back