• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can anyone recommend an octosope

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi,

Pretty much as the title says, I have quickly learnt it's quite essential to have an Octoscope especially going forward with honey. I asked my vets for some ideas but these prices are mad! However as Xmas is coming up has anyone got an ideas for a relativily cheapish one??

I've found a few online and guessing I need quite a long nose on it to actually go in the ears and many are quite short?

Thanks in advance xx

Hi,

Pretty much as the title says, I have quickly learnt it's quite essential to have an Octoscope especially going forward with honey. I asked my vets for some ideas but these prices are mad! However as Xmas is coming up has anyone got an ideas for a relativily cheapish one??

I've found a few online and guessing I need quite a long nose on it to actually go in the ears and many are quite short?

Thanks in advance xx

What I do when I want a piece of equipment is ask my vet to get me a medium priced item, and they do it through their catalogue and I get a decent one at a good price :thumb:

Hi Jane, Between £30 - £80 xx

Whilst an otoscope with a long specula is what a Vet uses, for basic 'home monitoring' a conventional pocket otoscope usually suffices. Well it has for me over the years, including for monitoring Rabbits with ongoing/chronic ear problems. After all, it's best not to go poking about too far down the ear canals. I leave that to a trained Vet !

Here are a few suggestions, obviously the cheaper ones are more 'basic' but it really isn't necessary to spend a fortune or to buy a 'posh' brand. Unless Father Christmas is feeling especially generous ! Even then it'd be an unnecessary expense IMO

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-OTOS...20b36&pid=100338&rk=16&rkt=18&sd=271302776004

https://www.spservices.co.uk/item/Brand_PiccolightFibreOpticOtoscope_103_0_3950_1.html

https://www.medisupplies.co.uk/Diag...copes/Optima-Fibre-Optic-Mini-Pocket-Otoscope

This is a Veterinary Otoscope and the specula is longer than those supplied with the one's above.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prestige-Me...49404988&sr=8-23&keywords=veterinary+otoscope

As I said, personally I have had no problem with using an Otoscope designed for use on Humans. It's really up to you if you feel it to be essential to have a 'scope with a much longer specula. I'm too neurotic about going too far down the ear canal and doing more harm than good as although I have been looking into Rabbit's ears for well over a decade I still dont feel I am as skilled as a Vet. I am probably just a wimp, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Happy shopping !

Hi Jane, wow thank you so much!

This is a huge help, I'll get cracking with writing my Xmas list! :) xxx

Being honest I don't need a long one and it's only so I can keep an eye on them and if I do notice some pus we can act quickly and keep on top of it! (Well that's the plan!)

Mighty max.. I did ask the vets, but they we're all in excess of £100 going up to £350 nearly died of shock! X

Hi Jane, wow thank you so much!

This is a huge help, I'll get cracking with writing my Xmas list! :) xxx

Being honest I don't need a long one and it's only so I can keep an eye on them and if I do notice some pus we can act quickly and keep on top of it! (Well that's the plan!)

Mighty max.. I did ask the vets, but they we're all in excess of £100 going up to £350 nearly died of shock! X

:shock: My vet was very helpful - they obviously had cheaper ones in their catalogue!

I've had a stethoscope for years now. (Got it when I was a vet nurse from my parents.) Very helpful for listening for any chest infections & heart murmurs.

I've never bothered with an otoscope but may have to think about it as I've got two lop ears. Its only a matter of time. (You can also use it to check their teeth - ask your vet to show you but it'll help monitor teeth spurs at home if you've any rabbits prone to it)

I've got both an Otoscope and a Stethoscope and they were both only cheap ones from Ebay. They are very good in all honesty and both came in really handy, the stethoscope I used to listen to Milo's gut both times he had stasis and I caught ear mites very early with Milo as well with the Otoscope.

I think they are really handy to have :)

Back