• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone use Amazon Basics Dog Crate??

toria

Warren Scout
Hello,

Does anyone use this particular dog crate for their rabbits?
AmazonBasics Double-Door Folding Metal Dog Crate - Medium

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QAVNWSK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I moved house a month ago (not my choice) and my outdoor rabbit came inside whilst I moved and got the hutch in position in the garden.
Since moving the weather has been nothing but raining and bad winds so I have not been able to put her back outside, plus we moved early November when Fireworks where going off continually.

The more time goes on, the more I am questioning if to put her outside now it's Winter, due to these reasons:
*We very sadly lost her bonded friend of 10 years in August
*She is 10 years old.
*The weather is atrocious and doesn't look to be anything but.
*The heating has been on and there never seems to be mild dry weather to put her back outside.

Currently she is in an indoor hutch which she is used too for being in it during times needed such as fireworks etc etc...
She runs round the hall quite happily skipping about but I have to lift her in and out as the hutch opening is only on the top.

So, I bought the dog crate mentioned above thinking she could get in and out by herself when I am home.
But I have a few queries as I have looked at it and worried about:
*Some of the sharp metal edges it has
*The base/tray not being a snug fit
*The base/tray is much more shallow than she is used to in her current home that I would have to fix some cardboard or something round it to make her feel more enclosed.
*She still needs to get over 3.5inches and she does have some mobility problems. (I know she can do this if she takes her time!)

And I am worried about all these changes that have happened to her in the past 3 or 4 months and I don't want to upset her anymore.

Sorry this is long-winded. I hope you understand and can help with some queries.

Thank you...

It looks like a slightly cheaper version of the one I got for the girls (they have it when they stay away form home & for bonding).

We used a ramp that allowed them to get in and out themselves. If she's having trouble with mobility, maybe use two slightly longer ramps which make the slope lower.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000V9OAX8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 you could maybe use two of them so it not a steep ramp
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NIM3S6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00 or possibly this?

Sorry I'm not of mush use today - I've just done a 10 hour shift without a break and not 100% with it

I am currently using two dog crates cable tied together and took out the metal base, lined it with correx (good as wipe clean) and then kids play mats (the brightly coloured ones, fit a bit like jig saw pieces? also wipe clean) mine are ellie bo crates and I really like them - haven't seen any sharp bits. I also put correx up the sides too.

I hope that helps a bit, must be tough

XX

Thank you Milo2015 for your help and letting me know what brand of crate you have.

I am currently still lifting her in and out, although I know when she wants to get back in!

It is tough, everything has changed for us so much in the past 5 months and I just want to keep her happy as possible without any more disruption.
I like her current set up, as it has a deep tray that makes it feel enclosed and protects from the draught as she is in the hall way. And she is used to this having used it previously. I just wish it had means of a front door!

Good idea with the corrugated plastic on the side of the crate, I also saw a photo of that somewhere else. I just need to get the right crate - that is safe.
Thank you.

I have a similar crate but in all honesty I don't remember what brand but it was from an animal supplies warehouse. He has a rabbit proofed room so he doesnt sleep in it the door is always open so his room is his room then free reign of the house. But at the moment post op he has gone into the crate for the weekend. I've used newspaper, towels and a fluffy blanket to line the bottom. This seems to have just bulked out the bottom a bit and made it more comfy.

They are actually quite easy to clean as you can just slide the bottom out. I would recommend going and viewing a few to see what you think suits your circumstances.

I hope that things get a bit easier for you x

Sent from my B1-830 using Tapatalk

Back