• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting bunny to take antibiotics!

helpme

Young Bun
One of my buns bit the other. It's a nasty bite and the vet prescribed Baytril. I managed to get him to take it from the syringe twice but now he's wise to it! Runs a mile! I've tried mixing it with mashed up fruit but he isn't much of a licker so ignores it. Any tips?

I always administer medication directly from the syringe into the Rabbit's mouth. It's a case of being firm, but not rough and being confident with handling the Rabbit. If the Rabbit senses we are anxious/stressed they will become more stressed themselves.

There are a few approaches to giving oral meds by syringe, including securely wrapping the Rabbit in a towel so that they cannot struggle or kick out. If the towel covers all of the Rabbit, including the eyes and just leaving the nose/mouth exposed they tend to remain calm. Then you carefully administer the syringe into the side of the mouth in the gap just behind the Incisor teeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGZVYVm5Bg

Alternatively this approach can work with some Rabbits

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-to-give-medication-to-big-or-awkward-rabbits

The only method that should never be used is to try to administer anything to a Rabbit orally whilst the Rabbit is placed in a recumbent position on his/her back. Doing so puts the Rabbit at great risk of aspirating what is being administered.

If all else fails it may be necessary for the medication to be administered by injection. Personally I always find this to be far less stressful for the Rabbit and thankfully my Vet allows me to administer medication via injection myself.

Baytril smells and tastes rank and I have never known a Rabbit not able to detect it regardless of what it may be hidden in. It is important that the Rabbit receives the full dose of the medication so personally I dont feel this can be guaranteed in any other way than by direct oral administration or by injection.

Good luck !

agree with jane. you could also try adding a little bit of juice to it aswell. was advised to do this for one of my piggies when she didn't like her marbocyl (from the same family of meds as baytril i think so might explain it!) - she had a little of the copella apple and raspberry juice with hers :lol: :love:

One of my buns bit the other. It's a nasty bite and the vet prescribed Baytril. I managed to get him to take it from the syringe twice but now he's wise to it! Runs a mile! I've tried mixing it with mashed up fruit but he isn't much of a licker so ignores it. Any tips?

I always give it into the mouth straight from the syringe, then I know it gets where it should go!

You could try filling the end of the syringe with Ella's Kitchen Banana baby food - most rabbits like it! It's a bit of a bribe, but sometimes works!

Good luck xx

Thanks. Been back to vet today. The wound was infected. It's huge. About 8cm diameter. I'm not even sure he won't die from it. I have to clean with hibiscrub and definitely make sure he get all the antibiotics. It's terrible.

Plus he is licking it constantly. The vet said I could maybe cover it but then admitted that would be difficult. :-( poor guy. My female has been so awful to him.

Thanks. Been back to vet today. The wound was infected. It's huge. About 8cm diameter. I'm not even sure he won't die from it. I have to clean with hibiscrub and definitely make sure he get all the antibiotics. It's terrible.

that sounds sore :( were you given any pain relief for him? something like metacam which will help with any swelling/inflammation aswell as control any discomfort.

Poor boy :cry: Has he been prescribed pain relief ? I do hope so, especially as you are having to clean the wound daily

Did the Vet not suggest that he was admitted and that the wound is debrided and thoroughly cleaned under sedation ?

Poor bun, sounds nasty :(

Is he still in with the female? Is the female spayed? Unspayed females can be very aggressive and territorial.

Poor boy :cry: Has he been prescribed pain relief ? I do hope so, especially as you are having to clean the wound daily

Did the Vet not suggest that he was admitted and that the wound is debrided and thoroughly cleaned under sedation ?

No :-( I should have asked for it. I know rabbits do hide illness well but he is eating, pooing and behaving totally normally. I do hope he isn't in too much pain.
There was talk of sedation, flushing it out and stitches but it would run into hundreds of pounds and my OH would say put him down for that. The vet said to try this way first. I am taking him back in 3 days.

No :-( I should have asked for it. I know rabbits do hide illness well but he is eating, pooing and behaving totally normally. I do hope he isn't in too much pain.
There was talk of sedation, flushing it out and stitches but it would run into hundreds of pounds and my OH would say put him down for that. The vet said to try this way first. I am taking him back in 3 days.

Could you give the Vet a call and ask if you could have a few day's supply of Metacam ? Hibiscrub stings a lot, so it would certainly be beneficial to be able to give him a dose of Metacam about an hour before you clean out the wound.

Poor bun, sounds nasty :(

Is he still in with the female? Is the female spayed? Unspayed females can be very aggressive and territorial.

Yes I wondered this. They can be really aggressive at times, and it's totally instinctual.

I hope the vet can give you some pain relief for him. That will help a lot. You can clean wounds with cooled boiled water with a tiny amount of salt added. In addition, honey is a great wound healer :)

Yes I wondered this. They can be really aggressive at times, and it's totally instinctual.

I hope the vet can give you some pain relief for him. That will help a lot. You can clean wounds with cooled boiled water with a tiny amount of salt added. In addition, honey is a great wound healer :)
Thank you. I will use that instead of hibiscrub tomorrow. Yes she is neutered. She just has an aggressive streak. (Did as a singleton. Bit.me. lunged when I opened hutch. Always thumping when she saw me etc)

Back