• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best type of litter?

harte

Young Bun
Hi all,

I've searched and searched previous posts but can't seem to find an answer (this must have been asked before!)

Anyway, Topsie and Tim are free roamers and well trained. The problem is we get through SO much litter, its a joke!! I clean them our pretty much every other day (depending on the state of the tray). They have 3 trays around the house.

Hay is an option but its messy and they will not eat it (they will eat it from a rack bit not on their tray). My other half has a thing about the mess they make so I want to try to reduce that!!

So what does everyone recommend that's reasonably priced and not too messy and does the job? We just use whatever I can find at the moment but its not enough and we are running out weekly.

In the meantime, here are some pics of the pair of them :love:

Thank you

x

12294774_10156262116775150_4122657364768956396_n.jpg

12299343_10156262120945150_4264661485975700776_n.jpg

Gorgeous bunnies!!!! :love: :love:

I tend to use wood pellets, I know some people aren't too keen on them but I fill my litter trays will that and add hay on top (but of course you could have without providing they don't eat it) but wood pellets are good at soaking up their wee and Being honest I clean my litter trays daily.

What kind of things are you using currently? Xx

Gorgeous bunnies!!!! :love: :love:

I tend to use wood pellets, I know some people aren't too keen on them but I fill my litter trays will that and add hay on top (but of course you could have without providing they don't eat it) but wood pellets are good at soaking up their wee and Being honest I clean my litter trays daily.

What kind of things are you using currently? Xx
Thank you!!! I love them. To be honest its varied each time. I got some some from PAH and then some from the range and then from whatever online store I've been using, they're either wood pellets or these small balls! I've found them all to be pretty rubbish and all in small bags so I need to buy in bulk (which is an issues with non storage house!!) I wish we could use cat litter - save a fortune haha!! X

What gorgeous bunnies! We use back-2-nature with some hay on top. We clean out the top layer every day and do a full clean every week. It's probably not the cheapest in the world but we buy the big bags from Amazon and really like it - it's absorbent and also made from recycled paper :thumb:

Gorgeous bunnies :love:

I use megazorb now. You can get a huge bag for a tenner. It's the most economical for me as the boys have a really big litter tray which I clean out daily. I used to use carefresh but it was too expensive because I was getting through a lot. Also very good at absorbing wee smells :wave:

aw they are cute :love:

i use either fitch, or a mix of fitch and finacard. both bought online. they work really well with or without hay on top (we put hay on top)

i change both trays completely everyday so not sure how they work left any longer than that, but highly recommend both beddings :)

Thank you all! I've ordered some Megazorb from the Hay Experts (I wish I could just order *1* thing from there :roll:) I didn't realise how much came in 1 bag - seems good value for money :)

Thanks again! X

Thank you all! I've ordered some Megazorb from the Hay Experts (I wish I could just order *1* thing from there :roll:) I didn't realise how much came in 1 bag - seems good value for money :)

Thanks again! X

buying from hayexperts is addictive! :lol:

What lovely bunnies!:D I use back 2 nature it is paper based pellets, they are so absorbent that I only use about a centimetre thickness across their litter tray, I take out all the dirty and just refill.Depending on how dirty or clean your bunnies are will depend if you remove all or just some. There is no smell as it absorbs odours. Really can't rate this stuff enough, its great. Normally I get this from my local garden centre but did pick up a bag from pets a home today. You can also buy it in different size bags so you could get a little bag to try out!!

I used to use wood pelleted cat litter and they used to do it everywhere! Recently switched to back to nature and they love it, rarely done it elsewhere other than the tray. Have you tried using a different hay? one oof my use dto refuse eating hay, tried a differerent brand and now can't stop her :)

I use newspaper straw and hay. Cheap n cheerful. Well cheap anyway. The hay does get wasted a bit but I get it locally by the bale so its not too much of a worry.

I use back to nature recycled paper too. I put a think layer at the bottom of Doughnut's litter tray then put a few sheets of newspaper over it then put the hay on top of the paper one end and more litter on the bottom. I change this twice a day but it's so easy as I just pick up the newspaper and chuck it then put another couple of sheets on top. I occassionally change the litter at the bottom but it doesn't get that wet and I didn't want to put hay directly onto the litter as they get all mixed in together she likes new hay twice a day!

I use wooden cat pellets from our local Home Bargains (which is mega cheap!), with hay from The Range on top that they don't eat, and it works a treat. They seem to poo for England and I clean their litter trays (x2) out twice a day. The wooden pellets are only about £1.20 a bag I think and the 'large' hay seems to have lasted forever!

Jo
x

I use puppy pads and change all trays twice a day (morning & night). I used to use megazorb which worked really well with our short-haired buns, but we now have 2 buns with very long fur. Megazorb / hay / straw kept getting stuck in their fur, so I felt it unfair (to them) to keep using it for their trays.

Puppy pads are easy, and tidy. We bulk-order from eBay to keep costs down.

Back