• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bobo and Joey

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Having lost his wifey bun, we now need to start thinking about Bobo's future partner.

He's doing okay'ish - seems a bit lost if that makes sense. He does look for her when I put his food in - it was such a habit for him to chase her at food time and I think he's still expecting to do that. We've spent a lot of time with him - just stroking him and talking - and he's not bouncing away like he normally does but seems to appreciate the company. My heart is breaking for him though - I've put in his fluffy cushion which he used to have before they were bonded - and given him some new toys - but he just looks lonely. Thankfully his pen is very close to Bug and Prudhoe's so he has got rabbit company.

We also have Joey - he was neutered 3 weeks ago and we were going to start looking for a little girl for him in the New Year - but now I am considering bonding him with Bobo - or attempting to anyway. They are completely different in personality but that could be a positive thing.

It is true isn't it that we can bond 2 boys? And size doesn't really matter does it? Joey is titchy - only 1.1kgs whilst Bobo is a big lump at 3.8kgs. I'm suffering from lack of confidence at the moment and don't want to do the wrong thing for either of them.

I'm going to have to wait anyway - Joey is only 3 weeks post neuter, and I really want Bobo to be clear of EC (next blood test is tomorrow).

Pleased to hear Bobo is ok and it's probably best to wait a while before trying to bond the 2 boys.:thumb:

Ah poor little Bobo, I hate to think of him lonely too, he's so sweet. At least he can see other buns, I'd happily give him a cuddle not that he would probably want one from me!

Ah poor little Bobo, I hate to think of him lonely too, he's so sweet. At least he can see other buns, I'd happily give him a cuddle not that he would probably want one from me!

Given how contrary buns can be - he'd probably LOVE cuddles from you :lol:

It is easier to bond two bucks than two does. And it is fortunate that the recently neutered one is the smallest. The bond will depend on how annoyed the big fellow gets about being mounted. If their temperaments work together, great. If not don't try to force it.

My advice would be to wait until you have lots of time to supervise and a good neutral place to keep them in for several days, then start them off in a carrier for a couple of hours. After that when they relax and groom themselves or even better each other and eat something move them into a bigger space watching very carefully. Don't cut the carrier time too short. It provides a safe space for them to think things through and to get used to being in the other's proximity. As the bigger buck has been missing his old partner he will likely be pleased to have the company. Mounting is alright both in the carrier and in the larger space. Chasing is alright in the bigger space but if they can't settle in the carrier it is bad news. Closing on each other and kicking is not alright. Sinking teeth into each other is not, except for pulling fur or biting to hang on while mounting as it is not actually agressive. One of them is likely to take charge. As long as the other one gets out of the way a bit of nipping is to be expected. The thing that means it isn't going to work is both of them showing dominence and refusing to back down. If that happens get them both girlies.

It is easier to bond two bucks than two does. And it is fortunate that the recently neutered one is the smallest. The bond will depend on how annoyed the big fellow gets about being mounted. If their temperaments work together, great. If not don't try to force it.

My advice would be to wait until you have lots of time to supervise and a good neutral place to keep them in for several days, then start them off in a carrier for a couple of hours. After that when they relax and groom themselves or even better each other and eat something move them into a bigger space watching very carefully. Don't cut the carrier time too short. It provides a safe space for them to think things through and to get used to being in the other's proximity. As the bigger buck has been missing his old partner he will likely be pleased to have the company. Mounting is alright both in the carrier and in the larger space. Chasing is alright in the bigger space but if they can't settle in the carrier it is bad news. Closing on each other and kicking is not alright. Sinking teeth into each other is not, except for pulling fur or biting to hang on while mounting as it is not actually agressive. One of them is likely to take charge. As long as the other one gets out of the way a bit of nipping is to be expected. The thing that means it isn't going to work is both of them showing dominence and refusing to back down. If that happens get them both girlies.
This is so incredibly helpful. ..Thank you so much.
We've bonded does and bucks before. ..and apart from on fight it's gone very smoothly so have been lucky.
It's good to know what to accept and allow to happen and when to step in and seperate.
If it doesn't work then we will get each boy a doe.
Either way neither will be single for too long.

This is so incredibly helpful. ..Thank you so much.
We've bonded does and bucks before. ..and apart from on fight it's gone very smoothly so have been lucky.
It's good to know what to accept and allow to happen and when to step in and seperate.
If it doesn't work then we will get each boy a doe.
Either way neither will be single for too long.

In that case I would say no don't bond them. Then you can have two more bunnies ;)

Back