• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

booked mabel in for routine dental thursday

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
she still eating etc but has spurs on side she avoids, and now this week the sneezing at night when she trying eat her ce-cotrophes, be same as last time, she managed 6weeks her poor left top molars where she has preferred to chew again, virtually nothing so you can hear her eating there as sounds sloppy :roll:
hope it goes straight forward as I really don't like her going under so often now 6weeks

she is still eating though and is even alittle over her breed weight but she looks good with it

Last edited:
Oh dear, I too had hoped that she could go for longer than 6 weeks this time.

I hope all goes well for her on Thursday xx

Oh dear, I too had hoped that she could go for longer than 6 weeks this time.

I hope all goes well for her on Thursday xx

thanks she would probably go longer with painkillers but then I don't want to risk her kidneys by keep giving them , but I just want to try and make sure everything ok Christmas period coming up

Oh no the dreaded teeth ! I really thought Toffee would be going in this week, judging by the last 2 dentals 5-6 weeks apart, but can't believe it, he seems to be doing ok at the moment ! Poos are the best he's had in months, he's managing to chomp some hay, without me cutting it up, and he seems quite chirpy in himself ! I have actually brought them indoors, during a mild spell in November, I just can't face another winter like last year, digging my through through deep snow to their shed, so that's them now in the extension til the spring. Toffee seems to have improved no end since he's been in, but I can't think how that would affect his teeth, still I'm not going to knock it ! Anyway, hope Mabel gets on ok, I know what a worry it is. I still think bunny dentures are the way to go ! :lol:

So sorry about another dental .. I agree 6 weeks isn't a long time.

I am sending you and Mabel vibes for Thursday xx

All my strongest good dental vibes for the lovely Mabel winging their way to you! :) xxxxx

I'm wondering about this a little myself if you have any advice Lisa?

If you have been told a bun has spurs do they need burring even if they aren't bothering him at the moment? I know it might sound like a silly question?

Milo has had a couple of bouts of stasis, the worst one only lasted around 48 hours, but both times he went to the vet they said that his back teeth did have spurs but they were not bothering him and weren't rubbing his mouth or tongue so they were not the cause.

Is it inevitable that if he has spurs they that will bother him eventually? We never actually got to the root cause of his stasis (he had EC couple with stasis the second time) and the more I think about his teeth have never came up as a potential cause of the stasis? He obviously gets lots of hay and things to keep his teeth in check.

I hope Mabels is doing well and I'll be thinking of her tomorrow! Be brave lovely girl! xx

Maybe worth having dental X-ray s to check roots etc if he keeps having statis just to rule out spurs as cause I had mowgli with dental spurs and no dental done all his life, suppose it's individual rabbit to slight spur Sox wouldn't eat, mabel carries on bless her loves her food she has the one tough that makes her eat this way but can't remove as would mess her whole mouth up, she has slight elongated front molars

I'm wondering about this a little myself if you have any advice Lisa?

If you have been told a bun has spurs do they need burring even if they aren't bothering him at the moment? I know it might sound like a silly question?

Milo has had a couple of bouts of stasis, the worst one only lasted around 48 hours, but both times he went to the vet they said that his back teeth did have spurs but they were not bothering him and weren't rubbing his mouth or tongue so they were not the cause.

Is it inevitable that if he has spurs they that will bother him eventually? We never actually got to the root cause of his stasis (he had EC couple with stasis the second time) and the more I think about his teeth have never came up as a potential cause of the stasis? He obviously gets lots of hay and things to keep his teeth in check.

I hope Mabels is doing well and I'll be thinking of her tomorrow! Be brave lovely girl! xx

Oh no.:( was hoping the hay would delay her dentals, although it took several months before the orchard grass hay became effective for Mr B. He was getting up to having dentals every few months then 7 weeks. I do believe the special hay did start to become effective several months later, as he had 7 dentals in one year, then none for 16 months. I hope it does work soon, I know the worry of frequent dentals. Millions of vibes for little Mabel. Xxx

Oh no.:( was hoping the hay would delay her dentals, although it took several months before the orchard grass hay became effective for Mr B. He was getting up to having dentals every few months then 7 weeks. I do believe the special hay did start to become effective several months later, as he had 7 dentals in one year, then none for 16 months. I hope it does work soon, I know the worry of frequent dentals. Millions of vibes for little Mabel. Xxx

thanks I now she goes straight for that hay to, she loves it

I hope all goes well with Mabel's dental tomorrow and that she makes a speedy recovery.

Back