• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny recovering from stasis - just doesn't seem right - help please

Sam56-87

Warren Scout
I'm really worried about one of my bunnies, Minnie.

I took her to the vets on Sunday morning and she was diagnosed as being in the early stages of stasis. I left her and her bonded partner Albert with her. I picked them back up last night as the vets said she was much brighter, her temp had gone back to normal, she was eating again and pooping so they sent me home with some recovery food and Zantac. They said she has early signs of some Spurs but they didn't think they caused the problem and they couldn't give me a reason why she went into stasis.

She is eating hay, her veggies, pellets, fenugreek crunchies (1 a day) and she is pooping although they aren't back to normal just yet (still quite small and hard) she's hopping round and will still jump onto my bed but something just isn't right. She usually has so much energy and runs round like a nutter and at the moment she's not running round as much and I have also noticed since we got home her partner Albert is chasing her quite a lot. He will chase her round my room, she runs off and she will just sit by herself in a corner. But they will still sleep together when I put them in on a night and I have seen some grooming still.

How quickly do they normally recover- am I just expecting too much too soon? And also why would the chasing of suddenly started as this wasn't a problem before.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Sam

I took her to the vets on Sunday morning and she was diagnosed as being in the early stages of stasis. I left her and her bonded partner Albert with her. I picked them back up last night as the vets said she was much brighter, her temp had gone back to normal, she was eating again and pooping so they sent me home with some recovery food and Zantac. They said she has early signs of some Spurs but they didn't think they caused the problem and they couldn't give me a reason why she went into stasis.

She is eating hay, her veggies, pellets, fenugreek crunchies (1 a day) and she is pooping although they aren't back to normal just yet (still quite small and hard) she's hopping round and will still jump onto my bed but something just isn't right. She usually has so much energy and runs round like a nutter and at the moment she's not running round as much and I have also noticed since we got home her partner Albert is chasing her quite a lot. He will chase her round my room, she runs off and she will just sit by herself in a corner. But they will still sleep together when I put them in on a night and I have seen some grooming still.

How quickly do they normally recover- am I just expecting too much too soon? And also why would the chasing of suddenly started as this wasn't a problem before.

Thanks
Sam

It can take a few days for a Rabbit to get fully back to normal after GI stasis. Also, Minnie may be finding it stressful that Albert is chasing her. The chasing is probably due to Albert wanting to re-assert himself as 'top Rabbit' now they are back in their home environment.

Hopefully this will settle down in the next 24 hours, but you will need to be vigilant as stress can exacerbate GI tract problems, as you probably already know.

It may be necessary to keep them in a smaller space for a short time, then gradually increase the space again. This can resolve some cases of 'hierarchy chasing'.

It can take a few days for a Rabbit to get fully back to normal after GI stasis. Also, Minnie may be finding it stressful that Albert is chasing her. The chasing is probably due to Albert wanting to re-assert himself as 'top Rabbit' now they are back in their home environment.

Hopefully this will settle down in the next 24 hours, but you will need to be vigilant as stress can exacerbate GI tract problems, as you probably already know.

It may be necessary to keep them in a smaller space for a short time, then gradually increase the space again. This can resolve some cases of 'hierarchy chasing'.

Hi Jane, thank you for your advice. I will do as you have suggested re: restricting the space for a while. The last thing I want for Minnie is for it to stress her out and impact on her recovery.

Thanks
Sam

Hello Sam

I am sorry to hear about Minnie. Did the vet give her Prokinetics at all? (for example Metaclopromide?). Zantac on it's own isn't usually enough to get a rabbit through stasis, even though she only seems to have the beginnings of it. Gut motility drugs are usually given alongside Zantac.

She may well be in pain with the spurs, and you could perhaps ask the vet for some painkiller - Metacam, if it's not already been given? I have often heard vets say that the spurs were not the cause of a stasis issue, but they do sometimes turn out to be. A vet can only see about 60% of a rabbit's mouth when conscious (unless they are able to do 'conscious dentals'), so an ulcer on the tongue or cheek could easily have been missed.

Your male rabbit sounds like he would like Minnie 'back to normal' and can't understand why she isn't! Poor confused little one. Your priority will be to get her in full health, and this should restore marital harmony.

Good luck xx

Hi Jane, thank you for your advice. I will do as you have suggested re: restricting the space for a while. The last thing I want for Minnie is for it to stress her out and impact on her recovery.

The fact that you got Minnie prompt Veterinary attention at the outset is the most important thing. You'd be surprised that some people claim never to take a Rabbit in Gut Stasis to a Vet at all and rely totally on DIY 'treatment'.

As your Vet noted some small spurs on Minnie's teeth it would be a good idea for this to be monitored (by the Vet). Some Rabbits do have an ultra sensitive mouth and just a hint of a sharp tooth can cause them to stop eating. Then there are others who will continue to eat like a horse despite having huge spurs that are cutting into their tongue. Rabbits really are so complicated !!

Hopefully Minnie will be back to her normal self in the next couple of days and Albert will settle down too xx

Hello Sam

I am sorry to hear about Minnie. Did the vet give her Prokinetics at all? (for example Metaclopromide?). Zantac on it's own isn't usually enough to get a rabbit through stasis, even though she only seems to have the beginnings of it. Gut motility drugs are usually given alongside Zantac.

She may well be in pain with the spurs, and you could perhaps ask the vet for some painkiller - Metacam, if it's not already been given? I have often heard vets say that the spurs were not the cause of a stasis issue, but they do sometimes turn out to be. A vet can only see about 60% of a rabbit's mouth when conscious (unless they are able to do 'conscious dentals'), so an ulcer on the tongue or cheek could easily have been missed.

Your male rabbit sounds like he would like Minnie 'back to normal' and can't understand why she isn't! Poor confused little one. Your priority will be to get her in full health, and this should restore marital harmony.

Good luck xx

Hi Mighty Max

Thank you for that. No the only thing the vet gave me was Zantac and recovery food. I have the check up tomorrow though so I will ask them for something then. Should it be metaclopromide that I'm asking for?

Yes totally agree on the Spurs- no painkiller given, they said to me that I could leave this for a while longer as they don't seem to be causing her an issue at the moment which totally amazed me. I have told them that I would like this seeing too as soon as she is up to it. Bit surprised as they are classed as 'rabbit savvy' vets and I had various recommendations for them.

It's so upsetting to see as I think you are right, he cannot understand what is wrong and she seems to be upset because of how he is behaving to her with the chasing. I really hope marital harmony is restored as it breaks my heart to watch.

Thank you
Sam

The fact that you got Minnie prompt Veterinary attention at the outset is the most important thing. You'd be surprised that some people claim never to take a Rabbit in Gut Stasis to a Vet at all and rely totally on DIY 'treatment'.

As your Vet noted some small spurs on Minnie's teeth it would be a good idea for this to be monitored (by the Vet). Some Rabbits do have an ultra sensitive mouth and just a hint of a sharp tooth can cause them to stop eating. Then there are others who will continue to eat like a horse despite having huge spurs that are cutting into their tongue. Rabbits really are so complicated !!

Hopefully Minnie will be back to her normal self in the next couple of days and Albert will settle down too xx

I have a lot to thank this forum for - I'm so grateful I found it as I have learnt so much from here that I would never have known. The vet said to me that the amount of people who don't know about stasis or don't recognise the signs because of rabbits hiding the pain and by the time they get to the vets it's too late. its so sad.

Yes she is eating totally fine at the moment and the vet told me I could leave it a little while but I'd rather just get it sorted now so I know it couldn't be causing her any unnecessary pain.

Yes I hope they are both back to normal soon. They really are so complicated- it's a good job I love them to bits.

Thank you again for your help,
Sam

Thumper has stasis quite often, we don't know why. I have been advised against metacam as that in itself can cause problems so when Thumper goes into stasis/colic I just whip her to the vet where she receives pain relief via injection only, plus gut stimulant so be careful about giving that particular medicine. Did they check your bunny's glucose levels? It should be around 5. Anything around 14 while in the vet is generally okay, as it will go up due to being stressed at being in the vet, but anything over 18 and in the 20s requires immediate medical attention, usually incorporating an overnight stay. Thumper's was 26.9 once and she was on the brink of needing an operation as they thought she had a blockage it was so high, but had the sense to leave her overnight (they'd x-rayed and she seemed okay so sensed it was safe to leave her) and by the morning her glucose had dropped to 5!

Once we're back from the vet after an overnight stay, it'll take Thumper a good few hours to settle back down and then she's wary of me for a day or so after that too - must think I'm going to bundle her into the carrier again :(. Oh, whenever she needs the vet, we take both. They are never, ever separated and the vets don't mind taking them both in either and don't charge for Coco's stay even though she eats them out of house and home, :lol:

Hi Mighty Max

Thank you for that. No the only thing the vet gave me was Zantac and recovery food. I have the check up tomorrow though so I will ask them for something then. Should it be metaclopromide that I'm asking for?

Yes totally agree on the Spurs- no painkiller given, they said to me that I could leave this for a while longer as they don't seem to be causing her an issue at the moment which totally amazed me. I have told them that I would like this seeing too as soon as she is up to it. Bit surprised as they are classed as 'rabbit savvy' vets and I had various recommendations for them.

It's so upsetting to see as I think you are right, he cannot understand what is wrong and she seems to be upset because of how he is behaving to her with the chasing. I really hope marital harmony is restored as it breaks my heart to watch.

Thank you
Sam

Hi Sam

Yes I would ask for both metaclopromide and also metacam for possible pain. Your vet can't be sure that she isn't in pain and it would also aid her recovery.

Unfortunately I come across this all too often - a vet is recommended, but when you go along you don't get the treatment you expect. Or rather your rabbit doesn't! Very disappointing I agree.

Let me know how you get on at the vets, and good luck!

Make sure your bunny is getting enough fluids-in water or food. From what I was told, bunnies will pull fluid from their gut to stay hydrated and that will make their dropping harder and more diffucult for them to pass. The recovery feed helps to keep their system moving, but it also adds moisture.

Pain relief is important-but it needs a balance. From what my vet told me; some narcotic pain relievers can actually slow the gut more, while Medicam may be harmful to kidneys. Even so, a bunny in pain will not eat/drink/move around and that will usually make matters worse.

There are different opinions on the benefits of metraclopromide. In my experience the pills did not work as well as the injectible form. However, I had trouble getting injectible in the USA due to production issues. It is not recommended if an obstruction is suspected. I found it would help if given before the bunny was too ill and then I used it only for a short period of time. I would tell my bunny the metraclopiomide was tested on people (me) for her own safety.

Make sure your bunny is getting enough fluids-in water or food. From what I was told, bunnies will pull fluid from their gut to stay hydrated and that will make their dropping harder and more diffucult for them to pass. The recovery feed helps to keep their system moving, but it also adds moisture.

Pain relief is important-but it needs a balance. From what my vet told me; some narcotic pain relievers can actually slow the gut more, while Medicam may be harmful to kidneys. Even so, a bunny in pain will not eat/drink/move around and that will usually make matters worse.

There are different opinions on the benefits of metraclopromide. In my experience the pills did not work as well as the injectible form. However, I had trouble getting injectible in the USA due to production issues. It is not recommended if an obstruction is suspected. I found it would help if given before the bunny was too ill and then I used it only for a short period of time. I would tell my bunny the metraclopiomide was tested on people (me) for her own safety.

I agree T, Metoclopramide is not always appropriate. Sometimes a Vet will not prescribe it for a very good reason. Also as you have said, choice of specific analgesic cover needs to be carefully considered.

Cisipride is another prokinetic which Vets can now once again obtain and it may be more beneficial in some cases of Gut Stasis.

It has been brought to our attention recently that people are finding it difficult to obtain Cisapride. This statement from RWAF vet Richard Saunders should make the present situation clear

"Your vet can obtain cisapride from abroad, but this requires a certain amount of paperwork and delay, and is done on a "named patient basis" ie only for a specific rabbit, which means that it is difficult to hold it in stock, to start treatment immediately. There is now a UK source, which allows for more rapid ordering and less delay in getting the drug in, and allows vets to stock it for urgent situations. At present this is only available in tablet form, but it can be converted into liquid form by another company. This can be done as required, or vets can hold the liquid in stock for emergencies. Bear in mind that vets are often reluctant to do so as such medications may, if not used frequently, go out of date, and so tablets, which can be given directly to rabbits, or crushed and administered mixed with food or other carrier substances, are often more practical. The suspension may be a good option in chronic cases where rabbits need the drug on a less urgent, longer term basis, and owners are finding it more difficult to give medication in tablet form"

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Cisapride.htm

Hi T :wave: - some good points, especially about the fluid intake! I had forgotten to mention that!

I personally do not advocate narcotic pain relief in cases of stasis, which is why Metacam is so useful. A few doses of Metacam is very unlikely to harm the kidneys, and rabbits have been on it for many years daily and found it did no harm. I think in the case of a rabbit who may be in pain and isn't eating for that reason, needs must for a short while!

Any vet prescribing metaclopromide would have excluded the possibility of a blockage, and it is the drug of choice for most vets. There were problems obtaining cisapride and these have been mitigated to a degree, but it still makes it a significantly less convenient. We have no problem getting injectable metaclopromide here in the UK.

Thumper has stasis quite often, we don't know why. I have been advised against metacam as that in itself can cause problems so when Thumper goes into stasis/colic I just whip her to the vet where she receives pain relief via injection only, plus gut stimulant so be careful about giving that particular medicine. Did they check your bunny's glucose levels? It should be around 5. Anything around 14 while in the vet is generally okay, as it will go up due to being stressed at being in the vet, but anything over 18 and in the 20s requires immediate medical attention, usually incorporating an overnight stay. Thumper's was 26.9 once and she was on the brink of needing an operation as they thought she had a blockage it was so high, but had the sense to leave her overnight (they'd x-rayed and she seemed okay so sensed it was safe to leave her) and by the morning her glucose had dropped to 5!

Once we're back from the vet after an overnight stay, it'll take Thumper a good few hours to settle back down and then she's wary of me for a day or so after that too - must think I'm going to bundle her into the carrier again :(. Oh, whenever she needs the vet, we take both. They are never, ever separated and the vets don't mind taking them both in either and don't charge for Coco's stay even though she eats them out of house and home, :lol:

Hi Angie

Yes they did check her glucose - it was high although they didn't say how high. Her temp was low. They did say both were back within normal range when they rang to say i could collect them.

That's interesting what you have said about the pain relief. I have her check up tonight so i'm going to ask so more questions then. I did think they might make an extra charge for Albert staying with her even though he was fine but they didn't mind at all. Albert must be the same as your Coco as he loves his food :lol:

Yes i think they do think that - no doubt i won't be their favorite person tonight after they both have to go again!

I took Minnie to the vets for her check up on Wednesday and the vet wasn't happy that she had lost 150g in 3 days. As she only weighs 2kgs this is quite a lot for a small bunny. I explained that she had been eating fine since i got her home and is eager for her food but she just isn't a lively as she usually is. The vet said the only difference between when she was at the vets and me taking her home was that she wasn't on any pain relief as even though they could see the start of some spurs when i took her in they didn't think that is what caused her to go into stasis. They have given me some metacam to give to Minnie and she now suggests getting her teeth done as soon as they get her weight back up a bit incase her teeth are causing her grief. I did originally say to them i wanted them doing as soon as possible anyway as i didn't them being left so they did get worse.
She was much livelier last night and still eager for her food. I am taking her back on Sunday for them to check her again and check her weight, fingers crossed its back up again so they can book the dental in.

I took Minnie to the vets for her check up on Wednesday and the vet wasn't happy that she had lost 150g in 3 days. As she only weighs 2kgs this is quite a lot for a small bunny. I explained that she had been eating fine since i got her home and is eager for her food but she just isn't a lively as she usually is. The vet said the only difference between when she was at the vets and me taking her home was that she wasn't on any pain relief as even though they could see the start of some spurs when i took her in they didn't think that is what caused her to go into stasis. They have given me some metacam to give to Minnie and she now suggests getting her teeth done as soon as they get her weight back up a bit incase her teeth are causing her grief. I did originally say to them i wanted them doing as soon as possible anyway as i didn't them being left so they did get worse.
She was much livelier last night and still eager for her food. I am taking her back on Sunday for them to check her again and check her weight, fingers crossed its back up again so they can book the dental in.

Well I am glad that Minnie is now having some pain relief and that she appears to be feeling more comfortable as a result. I hope that she can manage to gain a little weight and that her Dental treatment will go well xx

I know how important it is to get their weight up before a dental - I seem to have been there so many times before!

Can you syringe feed her a bit to 'top up' and make sure she gains a few more grams? Sometimes blitzed pellets and apple in a kind of 'smoothie' or else a good baby food like Ella's Kitchen (I use their veggies and sometimes banana and apple to mix with powdered pellets or recovery food)

Good luck!

Well I am glad that Minnie is now having some pain relief and that she appears to be feeling more comfortable as a result. I hope that she can manage to gain a little weight and that her Dental treatment will go well xx

Thank you Jane, it was nice to see her acting more like her usual self last night. Nipping my ankles for attention and running round the place. Yes i am keeping everything crossed!!
xx

When Doughnut was really unwell and lost weight my specialist told me to introduce alfalfa hay, just a handful a day to get her weight back up. She loved it and it did help her gain weight. Pleased she's doing well now, metacam is a great thing :)

Thank you Jane, it was nice to see her acting more like her usual self last night. Nipping my ankles for attention and running round the place. Yes i am keeping everything crossed!!
xx

It is always such a relief when the cheeky behaviour returns !!

When Doughnut was really unwell and lost weight my specialist told me to introduce alfalfa hay, just a handful a day to get her weight back up. She loved it and it did help her gain weight. Pleased she's doing well now, metacam is a great thing :)

With rabbits hiding so much of their 'stuff' it's easy to forget that we need Metacam for them! I think vets forget too, on the whole :shock:

Back