• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thank you everyone for your best wishes on the loss of my lovely Minnie.

It was so hard getting up today and no Minnie. For the last two and a half years it has been a joy to come down stairs and see her come racing out of the door to her indoor hutch and she would come bounding into the lounge and head for her two favourite spots - on the Hearth rug (prime grooming spot) and under a wicker chair by the windows and in the evening on the top of my sofa for cuddles. When she wanted to get down she would make it known, feisty little girl. I have had numerous rescue buns over the years and would have never picked a Nethie as I had heard they could be temperamental(and she did have bags of attitude, even after spaying) but she chose us when we found her that day in July 2013 driving down the main road in Leek, Staffs. We tried to find her own er in the local paper and via local rescues but no one came forward probably because she had been dumped due to being a little biter. So she became part of our bunny family. She soon asserted her rights and became a much loved pet.

The house is going to seem empty without her presence. She would rattle her hutch door when it was time to come out and come bounding over for treats. She had a favourite cuddly toy - a white rabbit that gradually got more and more battered but which she loved and used to drag around the heart rug. In her last days when not feeling so good she would cuddle up to it.

thanks again everyone for you best wishes. It's good to have the support of this forum as some lpeople just don't seem to understand how attached we can get to our buns. She has crossed the rainbow bridge bless her. I hope she's binkying free.
Regards
linda
p.s How do I upload photos on to this forum.

Last edited:
Ahhh so sorry for your loss, it's SO hard as we do get so very attached.

If you search on here there are tutorials on how to post pics.

Do you have the pics online somewhere already?

It was so hard getting up today and no Minnie. For the last two and a half years it has been a joy to come down stairs and see her come racing out of the door to her indoor hutch and she would come bounding into the lounge and head for her two favourite spots - on the Hearth rug (prime grooming spot) and under a wicker chair by the windows and in the evening on the top of my sofa for cuddles. When she wanted to get down she would make it known, feisty little girl. I have had numerous rescue buns over the years and would have never picked a Nethie as I had heard they could be temperamental(and she did have bags of attitude, even after spaying) but she chose us when we found her that day in July 2013 driving down the main road in Leek, Staffs. We tried to find her own er in the local paper and via local rescues but no one came forward probably because she had been dumped due to being a little biter. So she became part of our bunny family. She soon asserted her rights and became a much loved pet.

The house is going to seem empty without her presence. She would rattle her hutch door when it was time to come out and come bounding over for treats. She had a favourite cuddly toy - a white rabbit that gradually got more and more battered but which she loved and used to drag around the heart rug. In her last days when not feeling so good she would cuddle up to it.

thanks again everyone for you best wishes. It's good to have the support of this forum as some lpeople just don't seem to understand how attached we can get to our buns. She has crossed the rainbow bridge bless her. I hope she's binkying free.
Regards
linda

Many of us can completely understand how devastating it is to loose a special Rabbit friend. I am sure that you will always remember Minnie and you will always miss her.

It would be lovely to see some photos of her and this thread explains how to upload photos onto the Forum

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

Regards
linda

I was so sorry to see your message last night about Minnie. She will certainly be binkying free right now :D

It's us that have the hard part ..

I hope you begin to feel better over time, and remember the good bits of her life with a smile xx

Thanks everyone. I had a bad day yesterday and couldn't sleep last night as I was missing Minnie but also beating myself up about where I went wrong. The very experienced vet who I saw just after she had passed away seemed to think there wasa high chance from the symptoms that Minnie most likely had a lower respiratory tract infection that turned to pneumonia and that the Baytril just didn't knock it on the head. She started to improve a bit on it initially but could probably have done with something stronger. The vet said that the sneezing/coughing was indicative of respiratory probs but that there is not necessarily always nasal discharge if the infection is deep in the lungs -which I didn't realise and which probably fooled me. I read that Zithromax can be very effective in serious cases of pneumonia and that rabbit savvy vet John Chitty uses it. The trouble is with little Minnie - her condition lulled me into a false sense of security and this happenrd a few times. She seemed to be on the mend and then she suddenly took a turn for the worse on Monday. The next time I ever hear even the slightest sneeze in a bun I am off to get swab to check for bacteria/virus etc. In 20 years of having Rescue buns I had never had a bun with this (just a mild chronic snuffles with one bun years ago who lived to 9). I guess I will never know for sure what It was - it could have been her heart but next time I will insist on diagnostic tests earlier.

Once again, thanks to all the very experienced rabbit owner on here for their support and advice. It was much appreciated.

I have put some photos of Minnie on Rabbuts United fb page.
I have been cuddling my big bun Buttercup this morning. I think she senses something is wrong. She didn't get along with Minnie but they liked to see each other in their runs.
Best regards
Linda

Thanks everyone. I had a bad day yesterday and couldn't sleep last night as I was missing Minnie but also beating myself up about where I went wrong. It keeps going over and over in my mind. The very experienced vet who I saw at the small animal hosp just after she had passed away seemed to think there was a high chance from the symptoms that Minnie most likely had a lower respiratory tract infection that turned to pneumonia and that the Baytril just didn't knock it on the head. (I wish I had seen that vet ten days ago as the one I saw wasn't as experienced) She started to improve a bit on it initially but could probably have done with something stronger. The vet said that the sneezing/coughing was indicative of respiratory probs but that there is not necessarily always nasal discharge if the infection is deep in the lungs -which I didn't realise and which probably fooled me. I read that Zithromax can be very effective in serious cases of pneumonia and that rabbit savvy vet John Chitty uses it. The trouble is with little Minnie - her condition lulled me into a false sense of security and this happenrd a few times. She seemed to be on the mend and then she suddenly took a turn for the worse on Monday. The next time I ever hear even the slightest sneeze in a bun I am off to get swab to check for bacteria/virus etc. In 20 years of having Rescue buns I had never had a bun with this (just a mild chronic snuffles with one bun years ago who lived to 9). I guess I will never know for sure what It was - it could have been her heart but next time I will insist on diagnostic tests earlier.

Once again, thanks to all the very experienced rabbit owner on here for their support and advice. It was much appreciated.

I have put some photos of Minnie on Rabbuts United fb page.
I have been cuddling my big bun Buttercup this morning. I think she senses something is wrong. She didn't get along with Minnie but they liked to see each other in their runs.
Best regards
Linda

You did your very best for her Linda. We can't expect ourselves to be God and know everything, but we still do.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Minnie. Please post here as often as you wish. There are always people here who will listen to you and understand.

Sending hugs x

Thanks everyone for your support. Its been a tough few days. I keep looking over to the hearth rug to Minnie's favourite spot. It will take time to get used to her not being there and I know everyone on here understands that.

Lindax

Really sorry for your loss, they really leave a rabbit shaped hole in our lives when they go don't they?
Don't beat yourself up about anything, you did your best for her and she wouldn't want you to be any unhappier than absolutely necessary.
Sending you big hugs xx

Back