• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run solution for separated buns

Code

New Kit
Hello everyone,

I posted a while back about my two fighting rabbits. Unfortunately it's looking like they will not be reunited :-(

I have been looking into getting them a new hutch as they have outgrown their current setup. I was considering the below Chartwell one, since it has good separation:

http://homeandroost.co.uk/product/6ft-chartwell-2-tier-luxury-rabbit-hutch/

They also offer a run, which would be great for the bottom bunny, but not so much the top! Ideally I'd like to give them both 24/7 access to a divided run area. Does anyone know of a set up for this that would work for a two tier hutch like the one linked?

I don't, sorry :(
Those cages are good for a rabbit on the bottom level and keeping guinea pigs on the top. Thats what I do :)

But I do have to say about the hutch, that the wood is quite thin and on both my hutches (single story and double story(the one in that photo)) the roof is slowly coming inwards... I've only had the hutches 2/3 years and the roof gets damp on the inside... Something to consider.

Thanks for the reply :) That's a bit disappointing about the hutch - you'd hope it'd be a bit more robust for the price!

I may opt for the version with the ladder and do some modifications myself, there doesn't seem to be anything out there for what I'm trying to do.

You could use a 2 tier hutch and a runaround tunnel to provide access for the rabbit in the top hutch access to a separate run.

Can you have them indoors? You could have a couple of puppy pens, 1 for each rabbit until you were ready for bonding.

The welfare hutch company make brilliant hutches. Strong and long lasting. Great runs too. Really sturdy.

How big a run area do you have? Perhaps you could have two hutches inside a run and put a divider down the middle of the whole thing.

Depends on the space/shape of space really. One option might be to go for a double hutch and then put a second run to one side, so the bottom bun had the standard run and the second bun could have something like a runaround tunnel down to a second run. I think you'd probably find it easy to buy the two runs separate rather than splitting one... I think you'll have a job finding anything off the peg big enough to split. You could look at aviary panels - they are an easy way to build a custom size run and you could use the same panels to divide it.

Thanks all. I've ended up going for two single storey hutches for around the same price I was going to pay for the double, then I'll add two runs and place side by side so they can still see each other. Takes up a bit more space than the double, but is the best solution for the buns I think!

Back