• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another rant!

bunnybannanas

Mama Doe
I'm sorry. I know i had a mini rant about not knowing what to wear to the party last night and i promise not to rant too much again I'm just so annoyed.

I used to live with a girl for 4 years. Almost 3 years ago, she begged me to get bunnies. She said she has always wanted them but never had them and really wanted one. We read about them online and a few weeks later made the decision to get 2 (the only condition i had was we get them from people giving them away rather than a shop) anyways she got Max and i got Tallulah. They were / are brother and sister and turned out also to be boyfriend and girlfriend and they had 2 babies - Daphne and Petra. Tallulah let me near the babies from the first day but wouldn't allow my flatmate so I always handled them.

Anyways Daphne turned out to be a boy and after he got spayed at 6 months he unfortunately died a week later - i was gutted. He was amazing.

We moved out in January. I took Petra (hence the millions of posts on here about her!) and she took Max and Lu. There was never a bond between them and Petra - we tried everything but they'd attack her.

Petty lives indoors and if you don't know how loved she is ready any of my posts. She's my little world. She's amazing she really is and I couldn't ask for a better bunny. I love her to bits.

When the flatmate moved in with her boyfriend, he already had a puppy and she moved the bunnies (who were indoor rabbits) to live outside. (I couldn't take them on unfortunately).

She moved house recently and the bunnies are now in a hutch in the shed so that they aren't cold. They don't get any exercise and it seems as though they don't get paid any attention it's simply out of sight out of mind.

I can't take them as i have no room but i feel absolutely awful and don't know what to do. I ask if they come inside in the cold or if she plays with them and she says they don't come in because of the dog and she doesn't have time.

I'm really sad about them. Petra has gone on to have such a good life but the other 2 are just shoved outside and forgotten about and she thinks it's ok. She's the one who wanted bunnies in the first place and now they aren't being looked after! If I could take them I would but I simply don't have the room and they hate Petra so I couldn't have them inside.

Thoughts / suggestions please?

Give her reasons as to why she shouldn't keep them, if she isn't going to enjoy having them.

Otherwise its just money down the train, maybe you could persuade her to give them away to someone who will enjoy and care for them prop ally.

I do understand how you feel and I am sure I would feel pretty much the same. I also wish I could offer a solution, which could have some chance of succeeding, but sadly I can't. I'm sure you have let her know how you feel, but she takes no notice. There is also only so much you can say, if you still value her friendship. You are also not able to take them on. So I think she herself needs to realise that the rabbits need a lot more than what they are getting, otherwise things are unlikely to change. On the plus side (and it is a very small plus!), the rabbits are reasonably warm and dry. It would probably also be scary for them inside with a dog.

I would also like to add that Petra does have a wonderful life with you :love: I also did not know that Petra had a brother and I'm sorry you lost him :(

Back