• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Watering/gooey eye?

PoppyRabbit

Warren Scout
Poppy was fine last night when i came home from work at 10.30.
When i came back up to her room 1-2 hours later her left eye seemed to be watering a fair bit and looked a little red.
My husband checked her over and said see how she is in the morning.
This morning the eye is still red and a little swollen and there is a small amount of white discharge in the corner of her eye.
My husband told me to gently try and wipe it away for her with slightly salted warm water which i will go do now.
Her face is now a little dry and crusty from where her eye was watering last night and she keeps trying to wash her face bless her, so she might like it if i help.

Is there anything else i can do?
If it continues she will obviously go to the vet in the morning, it doesn't seem serious enough to warrant an emergency vet call out today we don't think.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

59b3b869319e079947a16e07c4503606.jpg

9be66915b60905c5b7676be7404752d9.jpg

Its common for hay/straw/dust to get into their eyes. Also common for things like conjunctivitis.

The warm slightly salted water two/three times a day will help if its conjunctivitis but may be difficult for you to see if there is a foreign body if its stuck under the eyelid.

Ill wash with slightly salted water and cotton wool pads today and tomorrow then and if she is still manky tomorrow i will take her to the vets.
I assume they will give her something do bring down the irritation and goo.
She is very fussy today bless her, wanting lots of attention!

c46a2d5a6b6fa1ab719305ae40bdcc15.jpg

This is after i wiped her face and eye. I tried to pat it dry a little afterwards and she had a good wash herself.
She perked up a little now and is munching her hay and herbs :)

I don't mind taking her to the vets :)
Its just next door anyway so easily done!
Shes very bright in herself still so im not too worrried.

I don't mind taking her to the vets :)
Its just next door anyway so easily done!
Shes very bright in herself still so im not too worrried.

I'd definitely take her to the Vets tomorrow. There does look to be some inflammation and infection in the eye and if so the Vet will probably prescribe antibiotic eye drops/gel which would hopefully clear up the problem relatively quickly. First the Vet may put some fluorescein into the eye, this is a dye that picks up any indication of a corneal abrasion.

I'd definitely take her to the Vets tomorrow. There does look to be some inflammation and infection in the eye and if so the Vet will probably prescribe antibiotic eye drops/gel which would hopefully clear up the problem relatively quickly. First the Vet may put some fluorescein into the eye, this is a dye that picks up any indication of a corneal abrasion.
I remember that from when she had to go and have treatment after her vaccinations. She reacted badly and developed a scab on her eyelid and a nasty infection after scratching it and i had to put drops in for her and give ber antibiotics.
This time it came on so suddenly and there is no scab thank god so hopefully it's not too serious.

I remember that from when she had to go and have treatment after her vaccinations. She reacted badly and developed a scab on her eyelid and a nasty infection after scratching it and i had to put drops in for her and give ber antibiotics.
This time it came on so suddenly and there is no scab thank god so hopefully it's not too serious.

I doubt it is anything serious, she may just have gotten a bit of hay in her eye which has caused a minor infection.

I doubt it is anything serious, she may just have gotten a bit of hay in her eye which has caused a minor infection.
Bless her. What on earth do they do in the wild if a bit of hay causes such a manky eye! Though i know she is quite a way away from her wild ancestors!

It was her right eye last time, they said she just had a bad reaction to the vaccinations which caused the sore on her eyelid and it got infected when she caught the scab and pulled it off bless her.

UPDATE:
Turns out the slightly gooey eye was a simple scratch which healed after a few days and the inflammation and redness went down quickly too as i kept bathing it every 12 hours with lightly salted water.
But that eye just kept watering...
Off to the vets for a healthcheck we went this morning.
1.26kg bunny who is exceptionally well behaved. Had her nails clipped, ears checked, tumny felt, lady bits looked at.
Then came the eye - no infection or irritation, but watering, cue the asking of lots of questions (Poppy has two vets, Vets4Pets which she has a complete plan for her injections, nails, diet and health checks, worming and flystrike. She went to the vets next door to our house for her spay though).
It was the teeth...it's ways the teeth!
I was told her had slight spurs on her teeth when she had her spay in Aug, so i switched to different hay to try and keep on top of it. In Oct they were checked again and had gotton no worse and she wasn't sore or anything.
Today the vet said she has a sore mouth and tongue and it had previously been bleeding slightly due to the spurs but it is healing nicely on it's own.
She filed the spurs away without putting Poppy under as she said it was like filing a nail and didn't hurt her and Poppy will let you do anything to her and she sits still for it so it was easy.
So hopefully we will see a less watery eye and more and more hay eating soon!

I hope that the eye problem resolves. I am sure you know to take her back to the Vet if it doesn't as she may require more detailed investigation re her teethxx

I hope that the eye problem resolves. I am sure you know to take her back to the Vet if it doesn't as she may require more detailed investigation re her teethxx
Yep! I asked a hell of a lot of questions and was in there a while. Took her about 30 seconds to file the spurs away and Poppy just yawned!
Ive bought her the trio of balls and a grass matt thing also, maybe it will encourage her to chew more. As well as lota of dried herbs.
Im hoping she will start to eat and chew a lot more and hopefully keep her teeth in check. She has them looked at every month anyway so i caught it quickly :)

UPDATE:
Turns out the slightly gooey eye was a simple scratch which healed after a few days and the inflammation and redness went down quickly too as i kept bathing it every 12 hours with lightly salted water.
But that eye just kept watering...
Off to the vets for a healthcheck we went this morning.
1.26kg bunny who is exceptionally well behaved. Had her nails clipped, ears checked, tumny felt, lady bits looked at.
Then came the eye - no infection or irritation, but watering, cue the asking of lots of questions (Poppy has two vets, Vets4Pets which she has a complete plan for her injections, nails, diet and health checks, worming and flystrike. She went to the vets next door to our house for her spay though).
It was the teeth...it's ways the teeth!
I was told her had slight spurs on her teeth when she had her spay in Aug, so i switched to different hay to try and keep on top of it. In Oct they were checked again and had gotton no worse and she wasn't sore or anything.
Today the vet said she has a sore mouth and tongue and it had previously been bleeding slightly due to the spurs but it is healing nicely on it's own.
She filed the spurs away without putting Poppy under as she said it was like filing a nail and didn't hurt her and Poppy will let you do anything to her and she sits still for it so it was easy.
So hopefully we will see a less watery eye and more and more hay eating soon!

Ah I love vets that can do conscious dentals ;)

Well done Poppy :thumb:

Ah I love vets that can do conscious dentals ;)

Well done Poppy :thumb:
Should i not have let her of done it?
The thought of putting her under GA in order to do it scared me more than Poppy just being uncomfortable for a few minutes whilst awake.
I thought i was doing the right thing?
Poppy had a little wriggle and yawned but that was about it. She was more traumatised by her first ride in a taxi to the vets!

Should i not have let her of done it?
The thought of putting her under GA in order to do it scared me more than Poppy just being uncomfortable for a few minutes whilst awake.
I thought i was doing the right thing?
Poppy had a little wriggle and yawned but that was about it. She was more traumatised by her first ride in a taxi to the vets!

What on earth made you think I was being anything other than genuine in my praise of vets who are confident and skilled to undertake conscious dentals? :lol:

They are a blessing in my book!

Back