• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much hay do you feed

VickyM_73

Young Bun
Hi there,
I top my bunnies hay up in their various trays every day, even if they haven't eaten all of what's there (I clear away as much poo etc as I can first). Should I be doing this or do you wait until they've eaten more of what's there. I'm happy to carry on as I am, I just don't want to needlessly waste hay if you see what I mean.

Hi Vicky,

Well me personally I tend to stick to the following.

7am - give fresh hay
8am - clean off any poos and damp hay before work

12pm - lunch break, again clean off any poos.

6pm - clean poos again and give fresh hay
10pm - again clean poos and add fresh hay before bed! :)

I know I do waste some hay, but as honey is such a fussy little bun she only really starts eating it more so when I add fresh! ;) xx

Hi Vicky, I do the same as you with hay. My buns have a constant supply. They have baled hay bought off the farm in their trays and snuggle boxes and I sprinkle handfuls of the flavoured forages over the top. They always seem to be munching.

Maybe you could start putting the hay in a hay manager/rack to hold it so that it doesn't get soiled?

Mostly I clean out litter trays daily and the hay that is left gets ditched as they have wee'd and pood through it. So I make up a fresh litter tray and put quite a big topping of hay. This usually lasts till the following day for 2 bunnies.

Mine have hay in their trays but also have multiple hay racks and also hay piles in the cage.
The hay racks take a while for the bunny to get used to but before you know it you're filling the rack 3/4 times a day (sometimes more often) as it stays fresher for longer

I tried a hay rack and they just ignored it. It just seemed to get in the way. It sounds like I'm giving about as much as everyone else. I've recently changed to a different (cheaper) brand of hay and they seem to like it better so it was mostly all gone today. I have 4 litter trays which I top up first thing and then again at 3-4 pm when I clean out the poos etc. and I give them their pellets at the same time. I try to put the hay at one end of the tray so that they park their bums at the other end and poo there rather than in the hay. This sometimes works. The do seem far more keen to eat fresh stuff so I think I'll try topping up with less hay but more often and see how that goes.

Yep similar here, breakfast, litter tray tidy, any poos and hay turfed from tray goes back in with a fresh layer of hay, timothy hay left on a plate with dried herbs and a hidden pellet or two! then I give them a few hay filled toys a day - cardboar tube with hay, chew bar boxes with hay, paper bags with hay etc, so it all gets used and a litter tray complete chage a few times a week, always with hay on tap as we feel required.

Then evening time I repeat the process!

About as much as they eat plus a half every day. I buy bales from zooplus so it is not expensive and I want them to eat as much as possible because dentals are expensive!!!

Zooplus do bales of hay??? My lot have local farm hay (three pounds a bale) so I am pretty generous with it. We get through more than a bale a month and there are only four of them!

Zooplus do bales of hay??? My lot have local farm hay (three pounds a bale) so I am pretty generous with it. We get through more than a bale a month and there are only four of them!

Yep this!

http://t.zooplus.co.uk/shop/horses/feed/hay_fibre/hay_fibre/496147

It is nice hay, soft rather than stalky though but that is what my buns prefer! It is insanely well compacted and is an actual mini bale, has balers twine and everything (almost broke my fingers on it the first time as it was wrapped so tight I had no idea it was there and tried to grab a handful... Ouch!)

Back