• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Afraid She's Dying

cavy.girl

New Kit
I'm really afraid that Lucy could be losing her battle with a root abscess today. :'(

Her history: Lucy (6) has chronic dental issues including malocclusion, loss of teeth, some have been surgically removed and she's struggled with abscesses. One seemed to clear up, but since her last dental another abscess appeared and has been causing a lot of grief. It's near her eye and apparently pressing on her tear duct, so the last several weeks she's had a constant wet mouth and watery eye. She's had septrin in the past which helped her last abscess, but sulfatrim and baytril hasn't done so much, and she doesn't seem to tolerate depocillin. I've been giving her daily metacam to help with any pain and inflammation, and fibreplex.

After a round of baytil, yesterday the vet said we'd try depocillin again, which we injected her with last night. This morning when I went to give Lucy her metacam I found her flopped out on the floor unable to use her legs. We called the vet and met up with them and he checked Lucy over. He seems to think that the abscess may have worsened, getting into her blood stream, causing septicaemia. Her core body temperature was low. Getting blood from her was difficult but he managed a drop and said she was borderline diabetic. He's injected her with baytril (and something else but I didn't see) and we've come home with more baytril and a thermometer to keep check of her temp.

Lucy this evening is still very weak; heaving herself around and struggling to lift her head. I'm struggling to feed her critical care which is unlike her as she usually begs for it. She normally lives upstairs on the floor but we have her down in the living room which our other rabbit for company. I have her snuggle safe and bed and lots of blankets but she keeps trying to get away from it all, preferring the horrible cold laminate.

Basically I'm really worried that this is the end of the battle for Lucy. I just don't feel satisfied that this is all we can do for her, and I'm petrified she's going to pass away through the night. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice or anything that I may be missing?

Thank you.
Becky

Hi

I am so sorry for the really difficult position for you and your bunny.

It's hard as you can see your bunny first hand the current situation.

I would personally say that in any eventuality I would try and make things as pain free and stress free for my rabbit - some one much wiser than me gave me some wise words that just because you can it doesn't make it right which has always stayed with me in any decision I make for my animals but only you as the owner can see the disposition and evaluate the best route to take.

If you have a great relationship with your vet perhaps they can help you as to the right next step. If she is in trauma to be honest if it was my rabbit I wouldn't wait until tomorrow.

Hope this is someway helps but know it's so difficult.

I am sorry to hear about Lucy. Your vet would not have sent her home unless he thought she had some chance to recover, so try to keep her calm and continue to offer her food and syringe water too.
She may prefer to be in familiar surroundings to minimize stress.

Did she get fluids at the vets? Even when they were not technically dehydrated, my bunnies would feel better after getting fluids which I suspect was due to it diluting or helping them pass any toxins.
You mention she got daily medicam, so it is possible she requires a different dosage for a couple days if any pain/inflammation is more than her regular dosage can control. I am not qualified to tell you dosages, but dosages can vary widely, so ask your vet.

Hopefully one of the other RU members, like Jane, will be able to give you some information to help you and your bunny.

It sounds like you have done everything you can do, i would just make sure she's as comfortable as possible and if she may pass (i pray for you that she will not) that she is happiest.

I'm really afraid that Lucy could be losing her battle with a root abscess today. :'(

Her history: Lucy (6) has chronic dental issues including malocclusion, loss of teeth, some have been surgically removed and she's struggled with abscesses. One seemed to clear up, but since her last dental another abscess appeared and has been causing a lot of grief. It's near her eye and apparently pressing on her tear duct, so the last several weeks she's had a constant wet mouth and watery eye. She's had septrin in the past which helped her last abscess, but sulfatrim and baytril hasn't done so much, and she doesn't seem to tolerate depocillin. I've been giving her daily metacam to help with any pain and inflammation, and fibreplex.

After a round of baytil, yesterday the vet said we'd try depocillin again, which we injected her with last night. This morning when I went to give Lucy her metacam I found her flopped out on the floor unable to use her legs. We called the vet and met up with them and he checked Lucy over. He seems to think that the abscess may have worsened, getting into her blood stream, causing septicaemia. Her core body temperature was low. Getting blood from her was difficult but he managed a drop and said she was borderline diabetic. He's injected her with baytril (and something else but I didn't see) and we've come home with more baytril and a thermometer to keep check of her temp.

Lucy this evening is still very weak; heaving herself around and struggling to lift her head. I'm struggling to feed her critical care which is unlike her as she usually begs for it. She normally lives upstairs on the floor but we have her down in the living room which our other rabbit for company. I have her snuggle safe and bed and lots of blankets but she keeps trying to get away from it all, preferring the horrible cold laminate.

Basically I'm really worried that this is the end of the battle for Lucy. I just don't feel satisfied that this is all we can do for her, and I'm petrified she's going to pass away through the night. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice or anything that I may be missing?

Thank you.
Becky

I am very sorry to hear how poorly Lucy is :cry: It sounds as though you are doing as much as you can to help her, keeping her warm is certainly very important. I do hope that by some miracle she will have made it through the night. If she has and if she is still in a bad way could the Vet admit her for intensive care. Getting an IV line in may be tricky if she is systemically shutting down, but the Vet may try and he/she may also get her into an incubator to try to get her body temperature up and maybe give her some oxygen which could help her feel a bit better.

Thank you.
Becky

So sorry to hear this Becky :cry:

I hope Lucy had a comfortable night and that you both were not too distressed.

It sounds like you've done and are doing all possible for her, bless.

Hugs to you both x

Back