• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please - neglected rabbits

Wererabbit

Young Bun
Just been asked by vets to emergency foster 2 mini lops who have been neglected and so are extremely skinny and have awful urine scalding. They are eating ok and have had medication.
I need to dematt them further (already had 1hr each of cleaning up) and wash again tomorrow.

my question is for how long (in days) should I be bathing them, I don't want to cause more problems with over washing as there is no fur left on their legs. They are on megazorb so hoping I won't need to do it too often?

Really sorry no-one has answered you but if you start a new thread asking the question re bathing I am sure someone will come along with advice. Hope the bunnies recover well and sounds like you are doing a grand job!

Thought the title would get me lots of advice :(. They are so thin and stinky!
Never mind, I'll figure it out, luckily they didn't seem to mind their botty bath today :)

Just been asked by vets to emergency foster 2 mini lops who have been neglected and so are extremely skinny and have awful urine scalding. They are eating ok and have had medication.
I need to dematt them further (already had 1hr each of cleaning up) and wash again tomorrow.

my question is for how long (in days) should I be bathing them, I don't want to cause more problems with over washing as there is no fur left on their legs. They are on megazorb so hoping I won't need to do it too often?

Can the vet nurse at the surgery use clippers on the matted fur?

I have my own clippers at home (given to me by the Rescue Centre for my foster buns). It would save lots of baths in this cold weather.

Well done you for taking them on x

Worst of smell and mess came out on 2nd bathe, skin calmed down nicely but had to wait a week for some hair growth so could clip remaining matts as their skin was too fragile - looking so good now even after just 1 week!

Last edited:
Glad they are looking better :)

When I took on my Tilly piggy, she had awful urine scald on her feet. I used Bepanthen on them and they cleared up really quickly.

Back