• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cremation experience question...

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
I hope you don't mind me asking but how long was it before your pets have been returned to you following an individual cremation arranged via the vet practice? We live fairly rurally and about an hour away from the crematorium so I wasn't expecting it to be super quick but I am getting worried that it has been three weeks. It took me hours to psyche myself up to call the vets today and the new vet answered (which is odd as there is always someone on reception) and she said she was not back but it is usually a week (at the time the vet nurse told me around two weeks which would have been last week if she was collected the week we took her in). I had dissolved into tears by that point so couldn't ask anything else.

I am not dealing very well with her not being here and I don't feel settled that she is not home. When we took her I remember telling my OH my fear of her getting lost or them accidentally scattering her ashes or the wrong thing being ticked on the form so this is playing on my mind hugely. What if I was so upset that the nurse took the wrong details from me as to what my wishes were?? I even start thinking what if she is lost, what has happened to her and how will I trust the crematorium haven't given me some random ashes to fob me off with to cover up a mistake. I just want her home.

:(

:cry: I think it's been about a week to 10 days normally with mine. I'm so sorry you are struggling :cry: I would let the vets deal with it for you. Maybe they are short staffed and thats why it's taken longer.

Hugs xx

Usually 3-4 days here, certainly no longer than a week. Maybe the Casket has been returned to the Vets Surgery but they, the Surgery, have failed to contact you to let you know. Perhaps give them a call this morning to ask ? Or get your OH to make the call for you if you do not feel able to cope with it.

I was in the waiting room of my vets recently when they were telling someone in your situation how the crem pick up once a week and return ashes once a week so depending on which day it falls on it can end up being either 7 days or if you just miss the collection it can be 3 weeks.

I hope nothing has gone wrong, and that you get it resolved soon.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. When I had my bunnies cremated they both took about two weeks as I'd missed the collection day. When they did come back though the little caskets were lovely, very sweet and although very sad it was such a comfort to have them both home.

I did call the vet a couple of times as I too were worried. Please call them or ask your OH to call for you, I'm sure everything will be ok. xx

Last edited:
Thank you all xxx I will call them again later today but if I wimp out I will ask my OH to and hopefully the regular reception people will answer this time. She should have been collected on the 5th. Even if they didn't for some reason come that week it would then have been the 12th. I really hope I am panicking for no reason.

Thank you all xxx I will call them again later today but if I wimp out I will ask my OH to and hopefully the regular reception people will answer this time. She should have been collected on the 5th. Even if they didn't for some reason come that week it would then have been the 12th. I really hope I am panicking for no reason.

I'm so sorry you're going through this ... I would say a week to ten days would be normal, and I hope someone will answer your questions respectfully, knowing what it means to you.

Sending ((( hugs )))

We also understand that there is often only a weekly collection - so it can take 2 weeks. However (and I really dont like to mention this) it did once very very distressingly happen to us that the wrong box got ticked and we did not notice in our grief and communal cremation was carried out and therefore a casket was never returned with the ashes (this does not happen with group cremation) . We were distraught .

It only came to light as the delay in getting anything back was so long we started to be concerned - and then found out what had happened,

We also understand that there is often only a weekly collection - so it can take 2 weeks. However (and I really dont like to mention this) it did once very very distressingly happen to us that the wrong box got ticked and we did not notice in our grief and communal cremation was carried out and therefore a casket was never returned with the ashes (this does not happen with group cremation) . We were distraught .

It only came to light as the delay in getting anything back was so long we started to be concerned - and then found out what had happened,

Oh no :( I am so sorry it happened to you. I feel sick with nerves and genuinely don't know what I will do if it has happened to us to. I can imagine being distraught too.

This is my first time I have ever used this service which was quite hard for me to get my head round as it was :( All past bunnies have been buried at my parents but they are pretty much out of room, and as I don't know if we will always live here and have a fox in the garden I didn't want to bury her here. My plan was to have all three cremated when they die, then buy a great big plant pot and bury all the caskets together so they were finally reunited and plant something nice on top.

The vet nurse didn't fill out the paperwork while we are there he took everything out the back so I didn't have anything to double check which is making me so nervous.

Hope you get the ashes basck soon know the feeling waiting its like a sense of closure when they come home, hugs x

I'm so sorry you've had such an upsetting time. We are very lucky over here. We ring our crematorium and they give us an appointment. We take our pet in and they are laid out in a basket for viewing if you want. They do separate cremations and with one of our buns, the cremation was done on the same day at 7pm. We were rung the next morning and given a time to collect the ashes. With our dog, 20 years ago, he was collected from the vets and we had to wait a week for the phone call, then we collected his ashes.

Oh no :( I am so sorry it happened to you. I feel sick with nerves and genuinely don't know what I will do if it has happened to us to. I can imagine being distraught too.

This is my first time I have ever used this service which was quite hard for me to get my head round as it was :( All past bunnies have been buried at my parents but they are pretty much out of room, and as I don't know if we will always live here and have a fox in the garden I didn't want to bury her here. My plan was to have all three cremated when they die, then buy a great big plant pot and bury all the caskets together so they were finally reunited and plant something nice on top.

The vet nurse didn't fill out the paperwork while we are there he took everything out the back so I didn't have anything to double check which is making me so nervous.

I hope you managed to get some news from the vet's surgery before the end of today?
Really hope so xx

I have had individual cremations, but I always take them to the crem myself, and wait whilst they are put into caskets for me to bring home the same day.

Thank you all for your understanding and kind words. I rung again (took me ages again!) and she was back (I wonder if she was all along yesterday) so I collected her this evening :love: The casket we chose is really nice and I feel so much better that she is here. Lisa you are absolutely right it feels like closure.

Thank you all again xx

Thank you all for your understanding and kind words. I rung again (took me ages again!) and she was back (I wonder if she was all along yesterday) so I collected her this evening :love: The casket we chose is really nice and I feel so much better that she is here. Lisa you are absolutely right it feels like closure.

Thank you all again xx

Bless xx

Thank you all again xx

aww bless, glad she is home and big hugs to you xx

Back