• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Project so far.....

daisymaisy

Young Bun
Evening all,
Finally got some pics of Daisy & Maisy's new pad to share. It's a bit of a 'works in progress' affair:

DSC00073.jpg

DSC00074.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00076.jpg

The intention was for them to have the shed, but we're yet to put up the new shed for the kids stuff, so for now they've got the hutch. However, I really quite like the way it makes use of the space, so I've asked my husband to make a big shelf for it to sit on, with a big wide ramp and side rails. This will give the buns an additional area underneath it, and as that part of the run has boarding to the side and back it's really sheltered too. My bright idea once it was raised up was to fill the back, top and sides with insulation (hay or straw), then board around it.

As you can probably see in the photos, the only way I can keep Daisy & Maisy warm at night is to close the hutch up and then cover with plastic sheets and twinwall boards - seriously not ideal. This weekend, we're making the bottom right hutch door into a catflap entry and screwing perspex over the other 'windows'. Although the run is wired top, bottom and sides, with patio slabs dug upright all around the edge, I'm still nervous about them being out all night. There's a nest of rats living under our neighbours shed - I hope they can't chew through the wire?

Although litterbox trained, both girls have taken to messing in / on / around any form of soft bedding I pop in the hutch. I currently have 4 cushions and 3 blankies drying. I tried filling the 'hide-ie' section of the hutch with straw, but again that got used as a giant toilet. They seem to prefer snuggling up together on the carpet beside the cat bed!

Any feedback and suggestions much appreciated x

Wow!! What a fantastic set you have got set up with plenty of room for your buns to run about it. I also put my buns in their hutch at night and cover with waterproof covering. It looks fab and I am sure your buns are very happy in there!

That looks amazing!! Very well done - I look forward to seeing you finished idea.

Rats can chew through it but it'd be doubtful if they don't have any dry food/fresh veg left out overnight.

Sorry I can't help with the messing issue.

On my hutch, instead of a huge roll of covering i have cut up a clear table cloth (waterproof) and stapled it to the hutch windows, this way i can go easily in and out of any door i want and don't need to worry about putting the cover over them, i always have the smallest door lest open so that they can access their run. Everyhwhere else is water and draught proof!

Looks wicked, I'd love this sort of setup for mine :)

I would avoid giving them the soft items, might help them not to poop everywhere.

Looks wicked, I'd love this sort of setup for mine :)

I would avoid giving them the soft items, might help them not to poop everywhere.

Tonight all they had left was the cat basket and a towel (the cushion insert is still drying). I feel mean not giving them anything, but you're quite right - apparently they don't need them!

That really is a fantasic set-up. My only worry would be attracting foxes. If only this was standard for keeping rabbits!

Ooo lovely. Looks really attractive as well as giving them plenty of space. They will be in seventh heaven when they get the shed as well! Much easier for you to hang out with them in all weathers too.

I just noticed it appears to be singe mesh. It might be worth double meshing it to help make it more fox proof.

Very nice! It's a great size space :)

The mesh looks too fine for rats to fit through... do you have anything over the floor to stop digging underneath?

Thank you all! The entire grass area has wire below. I used a huge pile of wire from old runs and aviary panels, so it's all overlapped and therefore double / triple thickness in most places. The shed is on a concrete base, and all the wooden frame is attached to paving slabs dug in vertically.

We've got plenty of foxes living in the field behind us, but they've never bothered coming into the garden. I've got two terriers who bark at the quietest butterfly fluttering outside, so it's probably them putting them off - or the flock of sheep in the field.... The birds of prey are a far bigger risk, hence wiring the roof too!

It sounds really secure! I don't think you'll have a issue with the rats, I think they'd have a job getting past all that!

Perspexing the windows is a good idea, that gives them more 'snug' space but then can still see out which bunnies like. You wouldn't need to raise it high to make use of the space underneath - the lovely run gives them a lot of head room so they might quite like a tunnel height space eg 6-8" - maybe a (removal) access board across and a couple of exit holes, and that would still make reaching the top level of the hutch not too high.

Back