• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tiny bugs in straw

TD86

Alpha Buck
Wasn't really sure where to post this so apologies if it's in the wrong section!

I was having a clean out of our spare room earlier which is also where I keep new bales of straw from Hay 4 Pets in the plastic bags and saw something move out of the corner of my eye. Cut a long story short, there are loads (and I mean LOADS!!) of tiny black bugs crawling around in the straw bag which is currently unopened and still cable tied. They have tiny wings on them so I'm assumining it's holding some sort of fly nest?? Has anyone had this before and should I bin the entire lot?

A few seem to have escaped but had died on the windowsill. I rarely go in that room but I ordered that bale at least 2 months ago!!

I only buy HayforPets hay, not straw, and haven't had this problem - although I only buy one large bag at a time and keep it in the garage. I would bin it.

bin it in my opinion. if there was only a few then i wouldn't be bothered but you said there were a lot. so bin it

I would bin it and maybe get in touch with the company, as it could be a batch issue.. Not sure if they have that with hay/straw etc

It's a natural, from a field style product so you don't occasionally get weird things in straw and hay - let the place you got it from know and hopefully they'll replace it.

Back