• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two females to bond - UPDATE

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
So after a few tense months we seem to be making some real progress!!
(Hope I haven't just jinxed it)

Anyway, they have spent two nights together and a day in a large dog create in the bedroom. The first night I was up all night as there was chasing, stamping of feet, humping etc but nothing serious so left them alone. All day yesterday I left them in the room without anyone around (set up a camera to watch) and there was not even one point of trouble.

Last night it seems Daphne became 'boss'. She's been mounting Phoebe and chasing her down for a mount then lots of kisses to follow. Phoebe will become quiet for a moment but will quickly go back to binking. There has been lots of flopping around each other and some mutual grooming.
Phoebe will get Daphne to play tag with her too.

I can add toys, treats etc without it turning into anything nasty and they'll happily take food out of each others mouths without any arguments.

Just put them out into the run (small 4ft x 4ft bonding run) as really need to clean the crate and a little space to burn off some energy. At first a little of Daphne showing Phoebe who is boss but after that settled down and they've gone back to before. Sitting close to each other, playing a little tag and kisses.

After the weekend we'll try them into their shared cage in the front room (I've cleaned it 3 times now since they've come out of it, cleaned the carpet and anything else they might have come into contact with to hopefully remove some of their previous senescence).

Its so lovely watching Phoebe trying to get Daphne play tag and I'm so glad we've gone through all this to make them friends. Daphne was so lonely without company.

Hi there. I know exactly what you mean. We bonded our female Deedee with Fred in July at the local rescue centre, after her first husbun Ben died suddenly, but when they came home together all hell broke loose. She became a territorial she devil, everyday there was fur pulled out from both of them and they were generally a pair of miserable grumpy bunnies. We had to take them back to the rescue centre (after a particularly nasty spat when they both ended up in the vets) to be re-bonded. When they came back again, it took a long time of gradually increasing their space, and spending hours watching them, and even so, every so often they would have another kick-off. We were all so stressed (bunnies and humans alike) and wondered if we had done the right thing, and more than once considered taking Fred back. But they are now the best of friends, spending most of their down time sitting side by side on the sofa. It really is worth the effort and the stress to see them cuddling together, and just shows what complex creatures they are. I'm sure that Daphne and Phoebe will be fine together, but don't worry if they do have the occassional 'domestic', now and then there is a little bit of circling and fur pulling with Fred and Deedee, but it seems to be quickly forgotten. So pleased it's going well for you!

Back