• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jacqui Paterson's vets - Small furries talk

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Hi, just thought you might find this interesting (especially people living in my area).

Tonight I went to a "small furries" talk at my local vet surgery. I already know they are excellent with rabbits but this just proved that. The main focus of the talk was on guinea pigs and rabbits (because the main discussion was on dental issues). I must say it was fantastic from beginning to end. Jacqui Paterson herself opened the talk with a discussion about behaviour and how this is the best tool for owners for catching the early onset of problems (in all small furries). She also discussed stress as being just as bad as a physical disease and that this was caused by many things including environment; she compared "good" rabbit accommodation and "bad" rabbit accommodation, which I thought was really good. As well as this she showed ideas for toys and enrichment and discussed diet etc.
After this one of the vets (who has a special interest in rabbits and rodents) showed us a slide show about the dental make up of various small animals (rats, degus, chinchillas, rabbits, guinea pigs etc) and then the dental problems they get. She also showed us pictures of tooth spurs and tooth "bridges" (something that apparently guinea pigs get!) and then how they would be treated etc.
Afterwards we got to chat with the staff and Jacqui Paterson and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I have to admit I went along mainly to see what it was like and to see if they really knew what they were talking about. :lol: :oops: They most definitely ticked all the boxes and I'm well impressed with how much JP went into the problem with rabbit neglect and ignorance of owners etc. We had a nice discussion (staff and visitors) about why rabbits are more neglected than most other animals; it was lovely to see the passion JP has for the subject. Apparently she even helps the RSPCA with prosecutions and whatnot.

All in all they got a massive :thumb: :thumb: from me and everybody who attended.

Anybody living in the Middlesbrough/Stockton/Darlington etc area seriously need to use these for their buns. I do hope this helps with anybody struggling to find a rabbit savvy vet. I know only too well what it's like not being able to trust your vet, having spent years going from one practice to the next.

I'm hoping so! They did one on reptiles a few weeks ago that was apparently just as good. I didn't go to that onw since I have no intentions of owning them but they had good feedback. :) I suggested they do a talk on rabbit and guineapig digestion. :)

Back