• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Waterproofing a run!

helpme

Young Bun
Hello,

Please help. I recently got a 7x5ft partially covered (wood) run. I was so excited! My buns loved it. I bought some clear tarp from Amazon (good reviews). It just covered the whole top, with a little overlap to sides. Then we had persistent and heavy rain. All I have are inch deep puddles on the tarp and it has leaked in a few places. To put it short, the run is wet and miserable and of no good to the rabbits.

What can I do? Do I need some rigid corrugated plastic? I definitely need some sort of slope to prevent water gathering. What about the sides?

Looking forward to your advice and experience sharing
Laura

Thanks! Does anyone know the best way to fix this? I'm worried it could blow away but also I have removable roof panels.

I have the corrugated clear plastic on the roof, its from b&q quite reasonable. We attatched it by drilling holes through it and attatching screws to the wooden roof parts, the screws that have the rubber covers to stop leaks.
Tarp always puddles unless its on a slope and stretched really tight!

Thanks Miffy. Well that's what I wondered! Maybe I need to try creating a slope and pulling it really tight. I expect the plastic would cost a lot of money :(

For an 8ft sheet of corrugated plastic it was £11, we just got some more at the weekend to cover more of the run, so it's not too expensive, depends how much you want to cover.

We bought pond liner but bought enough to completely cover 3 full sides as well so that we could tuck it in underneath the run when it's windy. If you buy it big enough so enough tucks under the sheer weight of the run should stop it blowing away (we also put a full watering can on top of ours, plus a few bricks). Sadly ours has blown off a couple of times but that's because it's not quite long enough to tuck in properly however it's never leaked. It's perfectly flat and has puddles but as it's pond liner it's meant to hold puddles (or an entire pond!) so unless pierced won't leak.

Hello, I wonder if the tarp can be adapted to allow it to be pulled tighter by fitting some metal eyelets and then using bungee hooks or tent ties and ground pegs. You could fit a baton of wood to one side of the roof panels to create a small slope to let water run off, but just pulling it tighter might be enough.

I've not ever tried this but just trying to think of a solution :)

Just wanted to add, making sure not to pull on the mesh too much though (sorry, just thinking bungee hooks can be quite strong)

Hello, I wonder if the tarp can be adapted to allow it to be pulled tighter by fitting some metal eyelets and then using bungee hooks or tent ties and ground pegs. You could fit a baton of wood to one side of the roof panels to create a small slope to let water run off, but just pulling it tighter might be enough.

I've not ever tried this but just trying to think of a solution :)

Thanks Louise. That's the idea that I've had too!

I think I'll look at a rigid roof too and see how much that will cost...

I have bought some clear builders sheeting and stapled it with a staple gun to the roof of the run in square sections. You have to pull it really tight so it doesn't puddle though.

I have the corrugated clear plastic on the roof, its from b&q quite reasonable. We attatched it by drilling holes through it and attatching screws to the wooden roof parts, the screws that have the rubber covers to stop leaks.
This is definitely the best option, especially if put at a slight angle. No puddles or leaks and lasts much longer. :D

Back