• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suitable as a run area?

hrl20100

Young Bun
I eventually want to move my indoor rabbit outside as he cannot stay inside long term. I plan to move him out in the spring, so we have a while yet!
Even though its a while away, i've still been looking for ideas as to what his housing would be.

Would this enclosure thing be okay?
http://www.cagesworld.co.uk/p/Super_Cambridge_6m_x_3m_Chicken_or_Rabbit_Run.htm

I'd put either a 5ft or 6ft hutch inside it and cover parts of the run over to protect from sunlight, wind rain etc etc.
I really like the look of it, but its just expensive...!

It doesn't say if it's mesh, it looks more like netting? An aviary would be better. I would be careful buying anything without a full description of it.

It doesn't say if it's mesh, it looks more like netting? An aviary would be better. I would be careful buying anything without a full description of it.

Quote from the site:
'and comes with rolls of PVC coated wire mesh that can be cut to size and fixed to the framework using cable ties'

Quote from the site:
'and comes with rolls of PVC coated wire mesh that can be cut to size and fixed to the framework using cable ties'

That doesn't sound very secure or fox proof. For that kind of money you could get a lovely aviary set-up or even a kennel run wouldn't be that much more.

Not sure about attaching mesh with cable ties - sounds a bit temporary. ? bitten off by fox. Do you know a handy man to make a run to your specification?

I eventually want to move my indoor rabbit outside as he cannot stay inside long term. I plan to move him out in the spring, so we have a while yet!
Even though its a while away, i've still been looking for ideas as to what his housing would be.

Would this enclosure thing be okay?
http://www.cagesworld.co.uk/p/Super_Cambridge_6m_x_3m_Chicken_or_Rabbit_Run.htm

I'd put either a 5ft or 6ft hutch inside it and cover parts of the run over to protect from sunlight, wind rain etc etc.
I really like the look of it, but its just expensive...!

The mesh looks like chicken wire to me. Very good size though!

Sadly, looking after our rabbits as they deserve is very very costly ..

The mesh looks like chicken wire, so it wouldn't be suitable, as rabbits can chew through it, and predators such as foxes can easily chew through it too. I would agree that you'd be better with an aviary or dog kennel type run made from timber and weldmesh (should be 16g or 19g weldmesh with small holes 1cmx1cm ) to avoid cats being able to scratch at the rabbits.

I've wondered about these before. You have plenty of floor space and good access. It won't rot. You can always put some roof sheeting over part of it to keep it dry inside at one end.

They are also sold as dog runs elsewhere.

I wouldn't use cable ties anywhere that the rabbits could get to them (ie bottom 4') - all my bunnies chew them off. You could wire them on with some decent thickness garden wire and pliers. I would also be tempted to use an extra layer of 3-4' high weldmesh all round the inside along the bottom edge to keep bunnies in and dogs / foxes etc out. Then you just have the usual problem of digging in / out, but that applies to all runs.

I would go for a purpose-built aviary or dog kennel/run, as in the examples of what people here have at the beginning of the housing section.

Honeybear here has Hampson kennel/run. I know she had it adapted for use by her rabbits. There are some good pictures/details on her housing threads.

Back