• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Its all getting too much

happybunny

Mama Doe
At the moment I have 5 rabbits on medication and am struggling to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Leah has spinal damage and is living on borrowed time. The vet can not understand how she is functioning and eating happily but this could change at any time. She is on daily metacam.

Trudy has had 3 dentals in the last 2 months, and bloods taken last week. They came back showing very little expect its likely she has EC, the vet has offered to run bloods for this but I really don't see the point as she is on panacur anyway. She is hardly eating, is loosing weight daily and is hard enough to get oral meds into, never mind syringe feeding. She is on panacur and metacam.

Scoot has not recovered from a dental she had a month ago. She too is barely eating although will take baby food by syringe and is ok when it comes to taking meds. She is on metacam, panacur and fibreplax.

Leo has had 3 dentals and a tooth abscess drained in the last months. There is still puss coming out of the hole and he is struggling to gain weight. He also will not take syringe feeding and I can just about get his meds into him. He is on antibiotics, metacam and emiprid.

Taylor is also on anti-bitoics as he has puss coming from one of his teeth, thankfully he is not ill with it.

Today I notices that Maple is not herself. She is just sat in a corner. She has also lost weight. She only had a dental 2 months ago and really struggled to pull around afterwards. I really can not cope with another poorly rabbit, I am struggling to find anything to feel positive about as it is.

I don't know why I am posting this, I just feel so helpless at the moment. :roll:

I should imagine that you are exhausted, both physically and emotionally caring for your furry family. Only to be expected, however try to think how wonderful you are by looking after them so well. It is draining, so if possible try to find some time to yourself to unwind. Maybe a little treat...just for you? Take care.....sending ((((((((((HUGS)))))))))). xx

I'm so sorry - both for you and the little furries. Very, very tough. Sending (((warm hugz and nose rubs))) for all of you x

After looking after Ted this last week when he's been bad with stasis there is no wonder you feel as you do with so many poorly bunnies. You must be so exhausted with the practicalities and also the worry of it all. Be nice to yourself, try and put your feet up for half an hour with a book and a cuppa, or a nice hot bath. Take heart in the fact you are looking after them so well and I am convinced they know we're tying to help them. Ted sat for ages a few days ago, snuggling into my hand for nose rubs and he never normally does that, so I'd like to think that was his way of saying he knew we were trying to make him better even though every 5 minutes we were medicating or syringe feeding or trying to make him run round.

No wonder you feel at the end of your teather I have a denal bun and one gut statis one.... occasionally they swap just for fun.. That makes me feel down at times with 5 I cant imagine ! xx I think they def knoe when you are tring to help as my feisty boy who does not do love always nudges and does not actually chew my trousers when he has recovered after a bout... xx

Sending lots of vibes. I am sorry you are having such a stressful time at the moment :(

Oh that sounds really tough. I know I really struggled at times with two chronically ill rabbits.

Sending hugs to you, be kind to yourself, and nose rubs for the furry ones if they like a fuss.

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.

Maple has had a small reprieve. He had a very dirty bottom, but was much brighter, this morning. It may be a tummy upset rather than her teeth. Her teeth are not great but not bad enough to be sure that's the problem. She is on fibreplex for a few days and e a keeping a close eye on her.

Sadly though there was another dental today. Digby (who is in the process of been bonded into a trio) has lost weight and has been quiet. We has but it down to the stress of bonding but today found out he had a very sore tongue. I am hoping once he feels better he may take to the bond better. So another bunny on metacam... Perhaps I need a bigger bottle than the 32ml I have.

Hope things improve for you all very soon.

I keep having pangs of wanting another bunny BUT I then read posts on here about illness and remember why I said "never again" after I lost Louie. They are such fragile creatures :(

Back