• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Random litter question

Mrs Carr

Warren Scout
Not the worlds biggest problem but does anyone else have a bunny that seems to go through a ridiculous amount of litter?

My boys have a standard sized cat litter tray each, With Buddy I can scoop out the dirty litter on a daily basis, remove the poop and still have a good 75% of usable litter left in the tray and do a complete clean and refresh every 3-4 days ........Bobs tray however needs completely emptied and refilled every single day! It's not that he is wee-ing excessively but OMG so much poop!!!! It's just not possible to pick out the poop from his tray and leave clean litter behind so I just tip the whole lot out out every day.

Like I say it's not a problem as such BUT I feel there is so much unused litter going to waste and I'm going through a big sack of the stuff every 2 weeks! I've tried just using less in Bobs tray so there was just enough to soak up some pee but he sulked and peed on the carpet so that didn't work.

Anyone know of anything to help me save money/ time/sanity?

I use newspaper, straw and hay in my rabbit's litter trays. Saves a lot of money on litter. I clean them regularly with a full clean once a week.

You could put a few pages of newspaper on top then just take newspaper and poops out each day and replace.

I completely empty the litter tray every time - I've never really worked out how to spot clean efficiently as it always mixed in with hay and quite messy to try to separate out. We use an underbed storage box for the litter tray and are currently using a few sheets of newspaper to line the bottom (and make it easier to lift everything out when cleaning) topped with a layer of megazorb then hay on top. I too would be interested to read about ways to reduce waste and costs, I feel like the majority of rubbish in my wheelie bin is made up of rabbit litter and that's only with 2 of them! I would like to get another rabbit and possibly foster too so I need to find a more efficient way of dealing with the litter trays.

If you know any gardeners and or veg growers they may be interested in the litter tray contents for their garden. I have a friend who takes my rabbits' compost away every week. Its worth asking around. Perhaps you have allotments near by, or a gardening club.

Great idea with the newspaper, will give that a go tomorrow :D. I tried just using hay and straw but the smell was awful and in a one bed flat it just wasn't going to work so the litter is a necessity I'm afraid. I did try to persuade my ex sister in law to take all the dirty litter for her garden but so far she hasn't taken me up on it ............ Very odd considering she spends hours telling me how fabulous her veg patch is and how she wants to be organic, I'll wait til Spring then try her again lol

You could put a few pages of newspaper on top then just take newspaper and poops out each day and replace.

I'm trying this tonight. Should I be worried that Daisy wants to rip / chew the newspaper? I've put a thin layer of litter on top of it, but not sure it's going to stop her!

Mine always have a good old dig n rip session with their newspaper in at least one of their trays (four rabbits living together with a litter tray per rabbit).

Back