• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby rabbits

Mumof4

New Kit
Hi

My bunny had rabbits one day this week, didn't know she was pregnant, they have fur on but no eyes open, so 3/4 days old maybe, we cleaned her on Sunday and went too today and found them

I'm a little worried about the temperature tonight, will they be ok left in their little nest? Or should I put some heat in there for them?

Thanks in advance

My unexpected bunny litter also arrived in November ( last year). There were 7 kits and the weather was awful and I was worried like you. They seemed very snug in mums fur lined nest but I did slip a pet heat pad wrapped in a towel underneath the nest. They all kept together so were warm. They all survived, all very healthy, and I still have mum and 3 of them. Had to rehome 4 as they were fighting despite being neutered. Good luck with the little family:D

My unexpected bunny litter also arrived in November ( last year). There were 7 kits and the weather was awful and I was worried like you. They seemed very snug in mums fur lined nest but I did slip a pet heat pad wrapped in a towel underneath the nest. They all kept together so were warm. They all survived, all very healthy, and I still have mum and 3 of them. Had to rehome 4 as they were fighting despite being neutered. Good luck with the little family:D

Thankyou, I'm worried so rather than disturb the nest and mum, I have bought her hutch into my conservatory which is heated, so hopefully for the next 10days all will be fine, peace of mind for us both, and will stop me always trying to check they are alive and disturb mum even more...fingers crossed

Please be careful of the temperature change, you will need to keep the conservatory cool as coming from outside it could disturb them if it is too warm and once inside care must be taken when moving them back. big and sudden temperature changes should be avoided.

Good luck with your little ones hope they do well, watching baby buns grow is amazing.

P.S.
Looking forward to some pics

I think if you can't keep bunnies indoors now for a while it would be best to put them back into the environment they are used to. Mums make lovely warm nests so cold shouldn't be a problem, but change of temperature could upset their respiratory system. I hope they do ok.

I also think you have done the right thing. They will be cosier and you will have peace of mind.

Good luck with your growing family! There is some great info. on here about unexpected litters. See the stickies.

Conservatory is cool, but warm, not too hot though

They are almost opening their eyes, so must be 8/9 days, they are however moving a lot now and towards the edge of the hutch or down towards the end of sleeping area, are they cold? I'm having to search the bedding to find them, and when they get put back they just shoot of in all directions, they are nice and chubby, our Daisy is doing a fab job and she's feeding 3xs a day, I've seen her feed most of the time...should I be worried they are moving away? Can I put anything in the hutch at all? I've just left it at the moment as their mumma made a more than adequate nest.
thankyou for all your replies

Conservatory is cool, but warm, not too hot though

They are almost opening their eyes, so must be 8/9 days, they are however moving a lot now and towards the edge of the hutch or down towards the end of sleeping area, are they cold? I'm having to search the bedding to find them, and when they get put back they just shoot of in all directions, they are nice and chubby, our Daisy is doing a fab job and she's feeding 3xs a day, I've seen her feed most of the time...should I be worried they are moving away? Can I put anything in the hutch at all? I've just left it at the moment as their mumma made a more than adequate nest.
thankyou for all your replies

So after closer inspection, I now know why they moved, their towel was wet with their urine, I was so worried about messing up their little home I didn't check, but now all changed and clean and they are back all huddled and no moving....phewwwww....I feel like a new mum all over again haha

Aww bless them. Baby rabbits are just so adorable and cute and sweet and ... hence why I succumbed to Frosty and Snowflake from our local pet shop three years ago.

Back