• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help..

angieb

Mama Doe
I used to use this forum a lot for the first few years when I got my rabbits.
Anyway I now have a few problems 😢 and I knew you'd all understand.
My rabbits are quite old and one of them (gizzy) has paralysed back legs and is dragging them. I have brought him in with his bonded friend (bunny) I've spoken to the vet and he's booked in tomorrow and I don't think it's good news for gizzy. 😢
I'm asking for advice as I've brought bunny in too but she doesn't like it inside and I'm worried as she's always been with another rabbit.
I have a daughter who has special needs and as she's getting older is taking more of my time so I don't really want to get another rabbit for her to bond with but I don't want her to spend her remaining time alone 😢
Is there anyone who helps in these situations? I'm in Lancashire. The vet who I spoke to this evening wasn't very helpful but I'm seeing her tomorrow with gizzy 😢
Like I say bunny is easily 8 years old and I don't want her being lonely in her last years. 😢 if I did rehome her id be willing to pay the vet bills for the rest of her life. X

:( I'm sorry you're going through all this. Is it worth putting your bunny on rabbit rehome? I hope everything works out for you all in the end

Is the back leg paralysis recent? Has a diagnosis been made? There are a few reasons why a rabbit may start to lose the use of its back legs and there are various treatments and different outcomes to be considered - I would recommend a good discussion with your vet and think about the options.

Thank you everyone, I'm going to see the vet at 11.30'tomorrow so I will see what she has to say. Like I said I have brought them in tonight but bunny hates being indoors but they've been together now for years. 😢 it's far from ideal with 3 dogs aswel but these things happen with pets.
He is an old man and I will see what the vet thinks and what's best but he's weeing on himself too, so I'm not getting my hopes up.
I'll make some judgements tomorrow after I've seen the vet. X

Hope it all went well at the vets.

I had a very similar situation recently and had to have my mini lop pts. He had no feeling in his legs at all. His lovely companion, Peaches now lives at a local rescue as a permanent resident.

He was PTS 😢
Now I have the dilemma of bunny. I've contacted a few rescues today (with no luck) and I'm also willing to let them have their 25ft enclosure too if they'd like it. I feel so so sorry for her 😢

He was PTS 😢
Now I have the dilemma of bunny. I've contacted a few rescues today (with no luck) and I'm also willing to let them have their 25ft enclosure too if they'd like it. I feel so so sorry for her 😢

I'm so sorry to hear about your rabbit :(

So sorry. I was surprised at how relaxed Peaches was. I had expected her to mope but she carried on much the same as usual, making little dens out of hay and always keen for food. She had to wait a few weeks until a rescue space became available. It is a worry when they are along. I do sympathise.

I'm so sorry about Gizzy :( it's such a shame that I'm not in a position to take on another bunny myself, as I'm not far from you and have three single, lonely bunnies :( I think your best bet would be to put her on the Rabbits in Need Section on this forum, someone might be looking for an older girl to go with an older boy who is in the same boat... One thing I will say though, there is an animal sanctuary in this area (can't mention name on here, but you probably know it). Please don't send your bunny there... They know very little about rabbits, and if she ended up being there a while, she wouldn't be happy at all. I really wish I could help :( xx

I am so sorry about Gizzy :cry: I hope you manage to sort something out for your remaining rabbit.

Thank you everyone.
She's hiding from me at the moment and is very quiet as I brought them in last night to my office (with the windows slightly open) to make gizzy more comfortable as the outside part of the kennel is on Tarmac and she hates it inside.
Ripminnie, is it the well known one in Altham that your referring too?
I got some numbers from the vets. X

Back