• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit enrichment

hrl20100

Young Bun
Any links to toys and enrichment for my indoor bun?
Either to go in his cage or to have out during free roam time :)

Never really know which products are best for rabbits really!
He has a wooden platform/table looking thing that he loves, and he has had a wicker ball that he destroyed in a few days (his favourite I think!)

Aha! Yes to that wooden bridge/arch!
My guinea pigs have one, my rats have 2 and my hamster has one as well!
I will be ordering Monty one of these for christmas for sure! (or afterwards depending on my money situation XD)

The reviews for that grassy mat look good. Monty has a thing about scratching the carpet and biting it, hopefully he'll take it out on this mat! (good price as well!)

How big are his cage and attached run?

His cage is 120cm long and he gets freeroam of the top floor of the house when i'm around. Not ideal, but eventually in the spring he'll be moving outside into a 6ft hutch with an attached run

Mine love those mats!

tunnels are good enrichment, my buns love these ones
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-An...&qid=1448135998&sr=1-1&keywords=rabbit+tunnel

Cardboard boxes. Either a single one with one or two exits, i once got three boxes cut holes in them all and joined them together. My rabbit went absolutely mad for it and for hours was running in and out of it. Best toy they ever had!

A box filled with shredded newspaper and put treats inside for them to forage?

His cage is 120cm long and he gets freeroam of the top floor of the house when i'm around. Not ideal, but eventually in the spring he'll be moving outside into a 6ft hutch with an attached run

A 4ft cage is too small for him to be confined to (rabbits shouldn't be confined to a cage or hutch, but need permanent access to their run). Perhaps take a look at the indoor housing section to get some ideas of a run you could make using panels. That would be the best enrichment you could provide for him (apart from a spayed female companion ;) ).

Any links to toys and enrichment for my indoor bun?
Either to go in his cage or to have out during free roam time :)

Never really know which products are best for rabbits really!
He has a wooden platform/table looking thing that he loves, and he has had a wicker ball that he destroyed in a few days (his favourite I think!)

The wicker balls are the favorite of three of my bunnies. Mine can destroy them in minutes.

I once got my mini rex an Oxbow tunnel made from hay. She figured out how to chew the material that was holding the tunnel together and next thing I knew she was sitting next to half a tunnel and a pile of hay!

A 4ft cage is too small for him to be confined to (rabbits shouldn't be confined to a cage or hutch, but need permanent access to their run). Perhaps take a look at the indoor housing section to get some ideas of a run you could make using panels. That would be the best enrichment you could provide for him (apart from a spayed female companion ;) ).

I know it is, but its far better than what he was kept in by his previous owners.
(Less than 3ft long handmade damp hutch, outside in the freezing cold, no visible hay nor straw, no visible cover to protect him from the elements, alage stained empty waterbottle, no enrichment whatsoever and a tiny dirty empty foodbowl)

I am looking to getting him neutered and getting him a friend (was hoping to bond both my boys together as dad will not let me get another rabbit) but that won't be until I get the money to do so.
I would let him out all the time if I could, but he's not litter trained so he's only allowed out when its supervised so I can pick up poop and clean up asap!

Poor little chap - sounds as though he was very lucky you found him!

When I went to visit him for the first time, all he did was sit at the front of the cage looking so miserable! He didnt even react when the lady picked him up, it was almost as if he'd given up :(
Now he has space to move around (in his old hutch/torture chamber, whatever you want to call it he only had room for one hop before he'd have to turn around and hop the other way, it was the tiniest hutch i've ever seen... Not enough room for a single guinea pig let alone a rabbit!) and is currently running round my room binkying!
Now he's just done a bunny flop which he does a lot and its adorable.

His setup here isn't ideal, but it will do for now as he is happy and has come out of his shell so so much! He's so cheeky and always demands treats and fuss!

I will be getting him some more enrichment as soon as I can, but for now he seems happy with his current things and the free roam around the house!

Situations like this just make me cry - and they are so common.

Me too. Its tragic and infuriating.

Mine love to dig in plant pots (especially for them with earth, perhaps not indoors though)! You could fill a container with shredded paper for them to dig in. My boys loved that when they were indoors.

I agree re; cardboard boxes, brilliant to explore and destroy! Also you can be quite creative with them which is fun for you.

Wicker, willow, apple branches, hazel and ofcourse the famous loo rolls stuffed with hay and or treats. Some good youtube vids about hand made rabbit toys.

Back