• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bumble

bumblicious

Warren Veteran
Bumble has dislocated her toe - possibly broken it :-(
The splint/bandage came almost straight off which we thought it might do but we had to try
It seems like there's always something with my pets :( I'm surely not a bad owner :(

I'm sorry but I don't think you should consider that you could have been in any way possible responsible for Bumble dislocating/breaking her toe! I know that with humans no treatment is usually offered with a broken toe, so I am somewhat surprised that they would attempt a splint with a rabbit. I would have thought that pain relief would be essential, but other than that I would have thought the toe would mend by itself. Sending loads of vibes for Bumble :love: And reassuring hugs for you :love:

Thank you xxx I've got pain relief for her and medicine to get her eating more (she's eating but just not as much) she said we need to go back see if it's mending and if it's not then an x ray to see it it's broken and worst case scenario amputate the toe. Apparently because she can't feel it and it's splayed out more she could end up catching it and tug the foot not realising doing more damage in future but I guess we'll see how it goes at the minute...

Sending lots of vibes for her, hope it heals quickly. You shouldn't blame yourself xx

Thank you. It's just this year we've had Fleur (cat) unwell - had teeth out then was dehydrated so had to go on drip overnight, still wasn't right had to have scan turns out she had really big bladder stones so had big operation for that which cost a bomb. Then Barley (cat) had something I can't remember the name of so had to have all his teeth out (the best thing for him) now lately the bunnies got lice - surprisingly easy to clear up that one though. And now this! I love them all so much I surely am due a reprieve from them getting poorly

I am sorry that Bunble has an injured toe. You are not a 'bad owner', accidents happen. I hope that the toe will heal and that you get a break from the stress of having poorly Pets xx

Thank you. It's just this year we've had Fleur (cat) unwell - had teeth out then was dehydrated so had to go on drip overnight, still wasn't right had to have scan turns out she had really big bladder stones so had big operation for that which cost a bomb. Then Barley (cat) had something I can't remember the name of so had to have all his teeth out (the best thing for him) now lately the bunnies got lice - surprisingly easy to clear up that one though. And now this! I love them all so much I surely am due a reprieve from them getting poorly

Geez I know just what it's like having one after the other, and you think you are jinxed!

These things are nothing to do with anything you have or haven't done :D

I hope Bumble's toe heals up really quickly :thumb:

Geez I know just what it's like having one after the other, and you think you are jinxed!

These things are nothing to do with anything you have or haven't done :D
g.png

I hope Bumble's toe heals up really quickly :thumb:
yeah, I think so

Thank you everyone. She's more lively and eaten more so good sign. She was back to being hard to pick up to five her medicine so she must be feeling better at least!

I'm sorry you and Bumble are having difficulties with her medicine. I empathize, I have at least two bunnies who are extremely hard to medicate or tend to grooming and toenails because they get so stressed. It breaks my heart each time to have to put them through even basic needs being met, but I just try to stay as calm as possible during (no mean feat as I am a nervous Nellie myself!) and afterwards, plenty of snuggles if they allow and a treat to mend fences. Sending vibes that all future medicine times get easier for you and Bumble. xxxxxxx

I really feel for you. I have three bonded rabbits (Mum, Dad and son), who we have always allowed to be just rabbits. We don't pick them up and cuddle them. We just love watching them together interacting as a family. However, when one of them needs medicating it is very stressful for them and for us. They get to know each day that we will pick them up and give them medicine and so run and try to hide. However, I have to say that if one of them is very ill then they do not get stressed and are just passive. So take heart that Bumble is "difficult" to medicate. In my opinion it means she is getting better:) Nevertheless, sending coping vibes as it is really so stressful :love:

Last edited:
Thank you everyone much appreciated xx. The thing is I think the stress of being picked up makes her not as enthusiastic about her food cos at the minute of course she's less relaxed around me she thinks I'm coming to do something to her - she's eating better than before I'm not worried about that. Animals are such a stress sometimes

I am so upset at having to pick Bumble up each time and to take them to the vets as well. No vet app for a while now (unless it gets worse which I wouldn't rule out) we're seeing how it goes but unless it pops back in it'll need to be amputated. They don't have access to their run so she can rest. But I can see they're both different again and it might be because of the vet trips and being picked up cos god I know how it affects her. I'm so upset by it all, just by the picking up and vets the stress it causes her. It makes them hate me I'm sure

I really do understand how you must be upset by this. However, you absolutely must not think that your rabbits hate you because of this. I admit I have allowed myself to think such thoughts when we have had similar issues here, but I'm sure it really is just fear that makes them act like this. It takes ages for my rabbits to be able to trust me after I have had to medicate them or take them to the vet. They even hide for ages if I have cut their nails! At the moment it is quite a while since anything like that has had to happen here, so they are fairly relaxed around me and my hands, but I know all that could change very rapidly.

How is Bumble's toe now? Have you had it x-rayed or has the vet said to just watch it for a while to see if it heals by itself? Sending positive vibes to you and Bumble :love:

Thank you so much. I just can't help thinking this picking up to give her medicine is actually not making her better cos the stress is so powerful I don't know I just worry sick and never know if I'm doing the right thing. Bumble's toe was better than last time although still popping in and out so because it's getting better we're leaving it for a few weeks now. If it's still popping in and out then we'll have to have it amputated. Am just so worried now xx

I don't know whether you are still giving medicine to Bumble, but just a thought, which dependent on where she is housed, might be preferable for her. When I trim nails now, I leave the rabbit on the floor, kneel down and put the rabbit facing forwards between my legs. I find it's possible to gently prevent them moving forwards, which allows me to do each nail. I will certainly try this method with my rabbits if I have to medicate them again, as they appear to find having four feet on the ground much less stressful. Sending more vibes for Bumble and her toe.

I don't think she'd let me get in that position at the minute I'd have to pick her up to even get her to that. I've tried so much with her in the past when she was neutered and the only think I could do with was pick her up still and do it. I've decided today to leave the medicine as we think it might doing more harm than good for her actually. She is eating her pellets as we speak I just put them in and went I daren't stay in case she doesn't eat them because of me. She hasn't been eating her pellets as much if at all (she's still eating other things and vet says her tummy sounds fine) but part of the medicine was gut stimulant but we'll keep reassessing but I was worried we were doing more than good with picking her up to give her medicine you see.

Thank you so much I'm so glad you understand

Back