• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Netherland Dwarf or English Lop?

BunnyBunBunBun

Warren Scout
Hi!
I was really interested in getting a Netherland Dwarf until I saw an English Lop rabbit and now I don't know what to do!
My Dad loves the dwarf but I am loving the Lop! I want to know which rabbit is better for a beginner rabbit owner. And which would get on better with a Mini Lop!
Thanks!!! [emoji8]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

English Lops are very large rabbits and their very long ears can be high maintenance, making sure they don't get torn when the rabbit is hopping about and potentially treading on them and not getting a dunking in water bowls. Lops are more prone to ear abscesses than uppy eared rabbits! That includes mini lops. Have a read of this: http://www.rabbitresidence.org.uk/lop-or-not.html

Nethies are fab, but the very tiny ones are prone to dental problems due to their teeny tiny skull. Small ones can have spinal problems too.

Nethies and Lops (especially mini) are the two breeds most prone to dental problems.

The best type of bunny for a beginner is rescued! A rescued bun from a good rescue will have been fully health checked so you know you're taking on a healthy animal, and they'll know their temperaments too - mishandled Nethies can be super grumpy little things! They get the bunny equivalent of small dog syndrome!

I agree with what catxx is saying, the best type of bunny is a rescued one. Sure you may look for a cute baby that you have your heart set on, but there could be potential issues you are not even aware off at the time. Plus of course not to forget that most times you end up with an un-neutered bun, unless from a rescue, so that is a bit cost to take into account. I have only had two bunnies so far, well still got them both, a Dutch one and a Himalayan. Both I found are super easy to have around, and especially the Dutch one is, in my opinion, a good starter bunny. But yeah like already said, try and get one, or a pair, from a rescue, having had a rescue bunny, I tell you, there is nothing nicer than giving a new bun a home that had a tough start. When I got Fluffy, the Himalayan from the rescue he was only just turning 9 months, but you can tell he didn't have the best start, from a pet hoarder, and who else knows what was done to him, but seeing him binky around all the time now, and being so in love with Bunbuns, well that's something no money can buy. So if you have a rescue near, check them out first, you wont regret it.

English Lops are very large rabbits and their very long ears can be high maintenance, making sure they don't get torn when the rabbit is hopping about and potentially treading on them and not getting a dunking in water bowls. Lops are more prone to ear abscesses than uppy eared rabbits! That includes mini lops. Have a read of this: http://www.rabbitresidence.org.uk/lop-or-not.html

Nethies are fab, but the very tiny ones are prone to dental problems due to their teeny tiny skull. Small ones can have spinal problems too.

Nethies and Lops (especially mini) are the two breeds most prone to dental problems.

The best type of bunny for a beginner is rescued! A rescued bun from a good rescue will have been fully health checked so you know you're taking on a healthy animal, and they'll know their temperaments too - mishandled Nethies can be super grumpy little things! They get the bunny equivalent of small dog syndrome!

Yup - this is EXACTLY what I would have said .. but cat got there first :lol:

I agree with the above, it's less about breed, and more about temperament.

I had a lop cross (Eddie) who was stupidly healthy, but you couldn't handle him, then Schumi who was a docile Dutch, but had awful teeth and needed regular trips to the vets. Both were old garden centre stock. Schumi cost a FORTUNE in treatment.

If your MiniLop is a boy then it would be best to find a female friend for him, after he has been neutered. I have had lots of Netherlands with no teeth issues, they are usually quite sturdy little buns with a very bright personalities. They are also easier to handle, being small, than some bigger bunnies which are stronger and can struggle when being picked up.

If your MiniLop is a boy then it would be best to find a female friend for him, after he has been neutered. I have had lots of Netherlands with no teeth issues, they are usually quite sturdy little buns with a very bright personalities. They are also easier to handle, being small, than some bigger bunnies which are stronger and can struggle when being picked up.

Thanks! I will take this advise onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When young and naive -probably not ready for the responsibility of being a bunny owner, I had a n. Dwarf - beautiful little munchkin but a horror of a temperament. Vet said he suffered from migraines! Jury is out on that one. Had a himmy - would have another in a shot. Fostered a mini lop (buck), scatcher and loved to thump. At the moment I have mini lops. Sisters, you look at the two and it's like little and large! Morgan is lovely and bigger than lily, she isn't very good at keeping her bottom clean. Lily is a scratcher but is little, recently (since the fireworks) has got a very wet messy bottom which she refuses to keep clean. The scratching and bum issues are my only grump with mini lop.

Back