• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay problem

sashababe

Warren Scout
One of my buns has been treated for an ear abscess/infection bless him, with lots of stress including GA and overnight stay at vets. His wife-bun went in with him, and on coming home they were both very picky with what foods they would eat (usual for both of them after a stress). So initially I offered them what they would eat to ensure gut movement, mostly herbs, picked grass and dried forage, and they have both started eating much more normally now - running to the gate when I arrive and happily eating a range of veg as well as a bit of renewed interest in their pellet. However neither of them have shown much interest in hay which is obviously becoming an issue - think they've got used to being pampered with delicious coriander brought to wherever they are sitting and don't want the hard work of hay now :lol:

My boy is on pain meds and looking good at his check-up so think it is unlikely to be related to discomfort (it's 9 days since he started meds), any tips on persuading them to start eating hay again? I have tried timothy hay website hay, timothy and rye from hay-for-pets, baled farm meadow hay, b&m hay with the dandelions in, and 2 other timothy hays from P@H! Also tried sprinkling dry forage through it and this has encouraged a bit of picking but not the quantity I would like

Hi, sending lots of vibes to your little man and lots of hay nomming vibes to both!

I'm sorry to hear he is currently being treated for an ear infection, hope you don't mind me asking but what did he have done? My bunny is also suffering with an ear infection! :(

In regards to encouraging them to eat, what about something soft like redi grass or orchard grass maybe? But at least they are eating grass and dried forage so they are getting some fibre xx

Thank you for the vibes, sorry you also have an ill bun :( he had head x-rays from several angles (under GA) to check teeth roots and all fine there, then had an endoscope down his ear which is how the vets found the infection. The vet massaged the ear which burst the abscess, and then flushed out the pus from the infection lower down the ear with saline solution while still under anaesthetic. Finally a swab which was sent off to be cultured to check he had the right meds, and then home on painkiller and antibiotics.

I've not seen orchard grass before - can you get it in pet shops or only online? Yes luckily they are getting some fibre in their systems but up until now they've been such good hay eaters, his teeth aren't the worlds best so eager to get him munching hay again asap!

Aww bless him, well hopefully that's a good step in the right direction and he's on the road to recovery! :)

My little girl is currently waiting for her CT scan before we can plan what's next but in the meantime she's on anti-biotics & pain relief to help! although I'm really hoping it's nothing too serious!

Being honest I haven't seen it in any shops but I buy it from the hay experts. My little girl is so fussy.. So I find oat hay and oat grass goes down really well. I'm sure he will start munching soon.. Suppose it could be if he had a tube down his throat, it may be a little sore maybe?! But sounds like he's got an amazing range to choose from! :) xx

Poor girly, fingers crossed the antibiotics are starting to help her

Ooh just been on the hay experts website... my bunnies will thank you but my purse wont! :lol: getting them a 6 hay sample pack to see what tempts them and will then order a bigger bag. Thanks very much for the tip :)

Thank you! :)

Haha, yeah I know what you mean.. My partner goes mad saying we spend more on treats & hays for the bunnies than we do on ourselves! Ooh lucky bunnies, really hope they do start eating some hay soon for you xx

Back