• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Family cat was pts yestersay

rachylou

Warren Veteran
So I haven't posted a thread in ages but I am freaking out and could do with some 'kind' advice.
I'm pregnant and my OCD is getting really bad, to make things worse our 16 year old cat Simba was pts yesterday due to suspected cancer.
I was there when he went and I'm freaking out big time, the vet inserted a catheter to administer the lethal injection but he wasn't going as quickly as he should have so she had to top his dose up by injecting another amount directly into his kidney.
I am worried because I don't know if any of the drug dripped out or got on his fur which I may have touched or got on my clothes, straight after she did this injection she cut some fur from him and put it into a little bottle for me to keep so obviously she touched the hair and bottle, what if she had any residue of the drug on he hands when she touched them and also my dress top was rubbing against the consultation table.
The reason I am worried is in case any of this could kill Jimby or Cookie.

Its very unlikely to cause any damage. I used to get it onto my hands all the time in the vet practice.

I'd advise you wash the dress top and give the bottle a wipe over with a disinfectant wipe/baby wipe.

I have put the clothes out to wash and wiped the bottle over but what about the things those things have touched I.e the car?

I have never heard of that happening, Rachylou. I'm not an expert, but if it happened, you'd think we'd hear about it.

Should I try and live normally now as I keep cleaning my hands and am going crazy thinking of the things things may have touched.

How very sad for you,I would try and not worry about the drugs etc,difficult if you have ocd. sorry for your loss.

You know the answers, you do not need reassurances. I am very sorry to hear about your cat, rest in peace little one.x.

Should I try and live normally now as I keep cleaning my hands and am going crazy thinking of the things things may have touched.

Everything is OK now, and you don't need to do any more cleaning.

You've been totally scrupulous and there will be nothing left to cause any harm x

I am trying really hard to take in what everyone has said and I am trying to reason with my thoughts but I am still freaking out!

Was the cleaning necessary?
Would the drug survive outside a host?
Would the drug have to be directly inserted into a major organ or vein to do any sort of damage?

P. S Thank you Jacks Jane xx

Your bunnies are not in danger, rachylou.

Residue or even if a bit got on you is not enough to harm them. You can live normally and not worry about touching things. The drug is not like a parasite, it does not have a host and there is no "surviving" for it. It must be administered at a pretty large and precise dose directly into the animal to cause harm or death. The fact the vet had to give a greater dose to have the lethal effect is a testament to how much of the drug actually needs to be administered to be lethal. Just try to relax and occupy your mind from obsessive thoughts. Your bunnies will be fine.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your kitty.

I am so sorry rachy xxx

No the cleaning was not needed, and your buns are in no danger whatsoever. It is encouraged in fact to allow a bereaved bunny access to the body of their bonded partner after they have died, they will often groom them. There is no risk from the drug they use to pts in the way you are fearing.

I am trying really hard to take in what everyone has said and I am trying to reason with my thoughts but I am still freaking out!

Was the cleaning necessary?
Would the drug survive outside a host?
Would the drug have to be directly inserted into a major organ or vein to do any sort of damage?

P. S Thank you Jacks Jane xx

I only advised cleaning as I know how it is to have OCD (I myself have OCD and find cleaning helps).
The drug isn't going to be dangerous to you or your bunnies - it has to enter the blood stream or be ingested in a large quantity.

You are fine and your bunnies are at no risk from it.

Back