• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Bun Seems More Interested in Cardboard than Food

CatEdwards129

Young Bun
We got our new Bun yesterday, he is now called Dexter.

He is more interested in eating his giant tube and loo rolls than hay or food

Is this OK?

Is this OK?

No, I would remove all cardboard for now. Has he eaten any 'normal' food at all and is he passing normal faeces ?

How old is he ?

Instead of cardboard chew toys you could provide apple branch twigs, willow balls, things like that xx

No it is not normal and indicates a slow gut, as bunnies with a sluggish digestive system often crave wood-pulp. I know you said he was coping fine with his new diet but I really would urge you to keep it as plain as possible for a couple of weeks - only give him foods that he has already been introduced to, and unlimited hay. You said he was only given a small amount of hay a day in his old home, which means he is likely to have a slow digestive system due to lack of fibre and will be more prone to gastro-intestinal problems currently. If he was given cardboard in his old home, he may be used to eating it to try and supplement his poor diet, but it can cause problems if he eats too much.

He was on a bowl full of Musli a day and a small handful of hay between 2 buns. The lady said he was 5 months old, but he looks a little small to me for 5 months. He is a standard Rex, he already has a bit of a dewlap so don't want that to get any bigger.

I am now giving him as much hay as he can eat, 1 egg cup of the Burgess Excel Pellets with added Mint, and I haven't given him anything extra today.

He is pooping properly and there is plenty of it, drinking water from a bowl when he needs it. Quite happy chilling out in the lounge with us, comes and goes into his cage as he pleases. Binkyed a few times this evening. Seems ok, its just the cardboard that had me puzzled.

He is going to the vets tomorow for a full health check and to get his vaccinations. Also going to check he is deffo a boy and if he can get snipped yet. His nails are a bit long so going to ask the vet to cut these for me at the same time.

Is this OK?

How old is your rabbit?

Do you know what he ate before he came to you? He should be eating lots of hay ... and depending on his age, pellets/muesli.
You have to change over the food gradually ..

From what I saw of his old home he was kept in a hutch, regular small hutch you see in pets at home with a small sleeping area and a bit bigger of a living area. I was told he went into the garden for a couple of hours a day, but I am a little skeptical as the lady had a wall of hutches and I don't think you could have given each rabbit a good run every day due to the amount she had.

He was on a bowl full of Musli a day and a small handful of hay between 2 buns. The lady said he was 5 months old, but he looks a little small to me for 5 months. He is a standard Rex, he already has a bit of a dewlap so don't want that to get any bigger.

I am now giving him as much hay as he can eat, 1 egg cup of the Burgess Excel Pellets with added Mint, and I haven't given him anything extra today.

He is pooping properly and there is plenty of it, drinking water from a bowl when he needs it. Quite happy chilling out in the lounge with us, comes and goes into his cage as he pleases. Binkyed a few times this evening. Seems ok, its just the cardboard that had me puzzled.

He is going to the vets tomorow for a full health check and to get his vaccinations. Also going to check he is deffo a boy and if he can get snipped yet. His nails are a bit long so going to ask the vet to cut these for me at the same time.

We cross posted!

It sounds like you are doing the right things. The vet will be able to advise on weight etc at his health check. Also (just to be sure) check that he *is* male :shock: You mentioned a dewlap, so I thought it worth mentioning the check!

We cross posted!

It sounds like you are doing the right things. The vet will be able to advise on weight etc at his health check. Also (just to be sure) check that he *is* male :shock: You mentioned a dewlap, so I thought it worth mentioning the check!

I have wondered if he was actually a male.....Either way getting the snip. I didn't want to man handle him and check for myself. He's still not cool with me yet. He will come over and nudge me with his nose but when I move he freaks out and runs away. He prefers the Cat to humans lol

Here's some pics of him if you were curious

IMG_20151118_181821_zpsfr4rp0mp.jpg

IMG_20151118_181815_zpsw1uulxo1.jpg

edited_1447794514428_zpsyzple81y.jpg

IMG_20151117_202350_zpstwiwphia.jpg

Thanks guys, Yea I do think he is rather lovely lol. I'm hoping he becomes a cuddler, he won't let us stroke him but will happily run around us.

Are you sure he is actually eating the cardboard? As in chewing and swallowing?
My rabbit Poppy adores cardboard, she has the inner tube from a carpet to chew on which she spends half her time demolishing! However she spits out the bits that she pulls off into a little soggy pile and gets rather angry when i clean it up.
Once your bunny learns not to eat cardboard (sounds like he really is bless him) he may still like some toys made out of it to chew on if he has other nicer food available so he realises he doesn't have to eat it anymore.
Bless him!

Are you sure he is actually eating the cardboard? As in chewing and swallowing?

Deffo swallows, I'm a bit of a clean freak when it comes to rabbits. My partner has really bad hayfever so I have to make sure when he is out that whatever mess is cleaned up quickly lol. But alas no munched up cardboard.

We had the same routine with our other house rabbit. So it kept the allergens down and stopped it spreading around the house.

Oh deary me! Seems like your poor bun does have a bit of an issue then. Hopefully it will be quickly sorted now hes with you and he can go back to happily chewing cardboard safely!

Here's some pics of him if you were curious

IMG_20151118_181821_zpsfr4rp0mp.jpg

IMG_20151118_181815_zpsw1uulxo1.jpg

edited_1447794514428_zpsyzple81y.jpg

IMG_20151117_202350_zpstwiwphia.jpg

He's a lovely Lynx Rex :love:

I suspect he probably is a he, male Rexes can have a slight dewlap and it is perfectly normal and does not mean they are or are going to be overweight. Although as you may already know, Rexes are exceptionally greedy and keeping them at a healthy weight can be a challenge !!

This is one of the many Rexes I have had over the years, the late Michael. You can see his dewlap clearly

We wondered what he was. Our previous house bun was a rescue Rex and was really fat when we got him. Was soo hard to get him to loose it. He really would eat anything.

Thanks for all the advice and kind words guys, really appreciate it

It's in the Rex genes, they cant help it !! :lol:

What a beautiful boy :love:

Our Bobo also loved to eat paper and cardboard - in our days of ignorance we didn't think much of it until he ended being constipated from it. Luckily a trip to the vets and gut stimulants sorted him out quickly but we do not let him near the stuff anymore.

Sounds like your boy has ended up with his bum in the butter with you :D

Back