• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whay do your Bunnies do this Bad Weather

I do stop them from having access to the garden in the winter, purely because I would worry sick that the softer ground etc would make it easier for them to escape to next door (they are fab burrowers), but they do have a big shed and large run. They do like to sit out in the rain though! Crazy buns x

Mine are currently camping out under the step in their paved run whilst it's chucking it down. It's better since I put some wood on top of it to cover the holes (it's a recycled caravan step) but Bramble still used to think that the holes weren't big enough to get her really wet. I'll give them their tea in a minute so that should keep them occupied inside for a bit.

Depends what you mean by bad weather... ;) Where I live, we don't get a whole lot of rain so I just bring them inside for the occasional thunderstorm. They enjoy their indoor sleepovers very much! A bigger problem I have is the heat. We're actually in the middle of a heat wave right now, Friday is supposed to get up to 40°C. I plan to bring them inside for the middle of that particular day, but if they absolutely have to stay outside we have a sort of evaporative air-conditioner set up. We have lined their pen with hessian bags which are lined with a soaker hose, so water drips through constantly and wets the bags. When wind passes through the bags, it cools and keeps the pen much more comfortable. They make more shade too! :D I've seen all my rabbits spread out near one of the damp bags at some point or another. I also freeze tons of 1L bottles, we have an entire freezer downstairs full of them. I put at least 4 in the pen, they often wedge themselves between bottles. I'm always so grateful when Autumn arrives, the bunnies are so much more comfortable in the cooler months.

The wind was blowing so they were in the lee of the house mostly, but they chose to use the hutch more than the playhouse as it's right up against the house and well out of the wind. I think they thought the playhouse might blow away (it's opposite the house) so they were taking no chances!

Mine stay in their shed most of the time. They have 24/7 access to their run but dont seem to go out much in bad weather.

Mine just curl up on their shelf in the hut looking out of the window waiting for the rain and wind to stop then it's 'all systems go' and their usual bonkers behavior carries on :roll:

Indoor buns just do the same as they always do I suppose, but wondering what outdoor bunnies do.

Yes, until last night I would've said the same about indoor buns. But the wind was horrendous! I think the buns were as fearful as I that the roof would blow away :shock:

My quad were inside the shed last night, one was a bit stressed from the wind too. This morning they were back out in their run.
My older pair have got used to the wind over the last few days and are mostly outside again but were spending more time than normal inside before.

Mine are crazy .. wind or rain they still sit in the litter tray in the run. I do pull the cover in heavy rain. Also overnight I pull the cover down since its quite windy and wet overnight here the last few days.

I always feel guilty as I don't spend as much time out there when it's bad. I'm sure the weather is worse these days than 17 years ago when I had my first rabbits.

I always feel guilty as I don't spend as much time out there when it's bad. I'm sure the weather is worse these days than 17 years ago when I had my first rabbits.

I feel exactly the same. In the warmer weather they would come inside and have great fun and lots of interaction with humans. But now the weather is bad they sit in the run or hop about. I do make sure when I feed them to stroke and talk to both of them while they eat if its not pouring with rain!!

One thing I have noticed is that in the USA there are many people, Rescues included, who say that Rabbits should NEVER be housed outside :shock:

Then I know of a place here who will not rehome a Rabbit that will be kept indoors.

I admit that for selfish reasons I would not want outdoor Rabbits as I would be unable to be out with them much due to my poor health. Thankfully all my Rabbits, both past and present, have been very happy indoors with access to the garden when weather permits.

One thing I have noticed is that in the USA there are many people, Rescues included, who say that Rabbits should NEVER be housed outside :shock:

Then I know of a place here who will not rehome a Rabbit that will be kept indoors.

I admit that for selfish reasons I would not want outdoor Rabbits as I would be unable to be out with them much due to my poor health. Thankfully all my Rabbits, both past and present, have been very happy indoors with access to the garden when weather permits.

I don't think there's any doubt that your bunnies are in the best possible hands! They always look so cosy and content in your pictures :)

I wish Sonic could come inside, but mum doesn't like animals (although she and Sonic have a 'mutual understanding'), so there's no way he's allowed in! Luckily he's hard as nails so he's not bothered one bit. When I tell her how clean he is her response is always 'he LICKS himself 'clean!' :roll:

Ah, she does like him, but he's been threatened with a ladle a few times when he's been a monkey :lol:

I don't think there's any doubt that your bunnies are in the best possible hands! They always look so cosy and content in your pictures :)

I wish Sonic could come inside, but mum doesn't like animals (although she and Sonic have a 'mutual understanding'), so there's no way he's allowed in! Luckily he's hard as nails so he's not bothered one bit. When I tell her how clean he is her response is always 'he LICKS himself 'clean!' :roll:

Ah, she does like him, but he's been threatened with a ladle a few times when he's been a monkey :lol:

I do know that some Rabbits really do prefer outdoor life 24/7. They seem to hate being indoors, even just for a short time.

I have read that quite a lot especially on facebook, some rabbits just prefer outdoor life to indoors, if they are secure have enough space even in winter, I don't see the problem

I find myself spending MORE time outside recently: if I'm going to be outside seeing to them anyway, why not sit for a bit in the playhouse with them?! :lol: It's them that don't like spending time with me! Admittedly I'm usually brushing/picking at bum-tangles, but c'mon guys!

I suppose it's just a another form of procrastination away from my studies!

My indoor bunnies go out in the weather if they choose.

My outdoor older pair sit out in the wind but often hide away during the rain

My mixed age outdoor pair hide in their hutch during the wind and rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine refuse to come out in the reason and high wind which we are experiencing daily. Instead they are getting fat and snuggly lazing in their runs. They have the whole garage to themselves so thankfully they have plenty of space for zooming and binkies.

Back