• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging?

BunnyBunBunBun

Warren Scout
Hey!
This is a really short paragraph but I was wondering if rabbits can dig?
Thanks!
Bye!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Short answer: YES :D

Could they dig out of this hutch?
cceeb3304a1ae0f97ba16612c5c43f18.jpg

Yeah,and plus it doesn't look very big. But any sort of accommodation you have you have to make predator proof, which includes burying wire under the run (or other methods to prevent predators from digging in).

Yeah,and plus it doesn't look very big. But any sort of accommodation you have you have to make predator proof, which includes burying wire under the run (or other methods to prevent predators from digging in).

Is this small?
0d4dbc00a220f9e77ad254f51a5b2315.jpg

Yeah, it's not quite big enough. I have indoor rabbits so I don't pay much attention to minimum hutch/run size but it's something like 6x4 for a hutch with an attached run of 6x8. Other members can tell you the exact minimum size and also probably the best hutch/run brands. If you browse the housing section on here you can find lots of info too. Like some people prefer aviaries or sheds/playhouses because they can be cheaper and provide more space, depending. :)

You may find it more productive to do a lot of searching of the Forum, rather than asking lots of random questions :wave:

Have a look at the 'stickies' - very helpful.

Good luck with your decision-making!

Yes, they love digging and will soon discover what their front paws were for and once that happens you'll need to put something down to stop them digging out, or anything else digging in.

As for the sizes, I personally think it's perfect. They'll have oodles of floor space which includes every floor space, not just the grassed areas. Ours have a 6ft shed attached to a 6ftx6ft run and that is perfectly adequate for 2 rabbits. The item in your photo looks fabulous if it's just for 2 bunnies in my opinion.

Yes, they love digging and will soon discover what their front paws were for and once that happens you'll need to put something down to stop them digging out, or anything else digging in.

As for the sizes, I personally think it's perfect. They'll have oodles of floor space which includes every floor space, not just the grassed areas. Ours have a 6ft shed attached to a 6ftx6ft run and that is perfectly adequate for 2 rabbits. The item in your photo looks fabulous if it's just for 2 bunnies in my opinion.

Seriously? I'm fairly sure the run is only 5x2. And the hutch part looks to be really small. Doesn't look adequate to me and also looks difficult to clean out.

I think the sleeping area looks a fine size but it appears you can make the run larger. (The opening door on the very end). I'd maybe say to get some aviary panels to make it bigger and just remove the door on the end.
I'd show you some pictures of what I mean as I done a similar set up when I kept ferrets but I can't seem to find them.

You can always weather proof the whole of the lower half of the cage to prevent them getting wet/cold.

As for digging - some rabbits love to dig, others never bother. Depends on their personality - you can get predator guards for runs now which is basically strong mesh that gets attached to the edge of the run and comes about a foot out. It saves the trouble of digging down.
If not house them on paving and have a separate run that they can go into during light hours on grass.

Last edited:
That hutch is way too small. The run area of it might be okay, but the indoor area is tiny. Think about where the rabbits are going to go when it's tipping down with rain all day, or for a whole week. They will be stuck either in the rain or in a tiny area that allows for no exercise at all. My rabbit is in a hutch like that at the moment until she is bonded and I hate it so so much. Not only is it hard to clean, but she has no room to do anything, especially with the bad weather at the moment. Please please please get a bigger hutch for your rabbits, follow the advice you're being given in the housing threads you've started.

Needless to say Ruby will be moving into a 6ft x 3ft x 2ft double hutch with an 8ft x 5ft x 3ft run in a week and a half.

Back