• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wet Paws Soaking Hutch Floor

Kerrster

New Kit
I have a double storey hutch with attached run. Have managed to cover most of run and hutch so bunnies can play out when it is raining however run is on slabs and they still get wet resulting in wet bunny feet.

The problem I have is that their wet feet are soaking the hutch when they go back inside and as the weather is getting colder, it's not getting the chance to dry out. And as it gets even colder will probably freeze. The hutch is lined with newspaper and some straw.

I know the perfect set up would be to put them in a shed or outbuilding but the bunnies are new to me and I inherited their set up along with the rabbits and am not in a position to change anything this winter.

Really what I need is a doormat and for them to wipe their paws but as that wont happen, any ideas how I can get round this? Or does it not matter as long as upstairs is dry and sheltered?

I have tried putting a rosewood mat in front of their access but they dont like it and avoid going on it at all costs!

Thanks in advance

Mine are in a playhouse with just a lino floor, and I've found putting down a newspaper in various places (not covering the whole floor but most of it) makes their feet much drier. I put a small bit about 8 sheets thick in front of the tube into the house, then a 4-thick piece after that between the windowsill and the litter tray and 2-thick sheets everywhere else. When the newspaper feels damp, I remove it, so twice a day to every other day, and when it's dry outside I remove it all: I only put it in when it's forecast wet for a few days. Mine suffer from damp bums where they sit in the wet too, which is quite bad! They reach up for things in the run and get their behinds soggy.

When Lopsy used to live in a hutch he had newspaper, woodshavings and hay: so 6-10 sheets of newspaper, about 1/2 - 3/4" of shavings and at least enough hay that the shavings weren't visible. The shavings and hay were great at soaking up excess water without getting too wet (although I did top up the hay daily when it was wet). Although there is some talk that shavings can cause respiratory problems but that may only be in an enclosed environment.

My four have lino on their shed floor and newspaper in the doorway so that my feet dont make their home all soggy!

They have three underbed storage boxes with newspaper, straw and hay in and a teeny four foot hutch under a large table whichnthey love to sit on.

Cardboard or newspaper over the lino is a good idea.

Back