• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you think your rabbit prefers being outside or inside?

Julia25

Alpha Buck
Just like the question asks.

Been reading this article on rabbits and it says that rabbit prefer to live outside.

For me i think this is true, as this is more natural for them with the weather and air.

What are your opinions, do your rabbits that live indoors like to be outside or prefer being inside?

Last edited:
My guys are all house buns, but I think it depends on the rabbit! Thor and Poppy went out into a shed with connected run for a few months and then we moved house unexpectedly and they came back inside as we had the space! They weren't keen if I'm honest, Thor was used to being inside and Poppy is mostly blind and relies heavily on Thor and he was stressed, he didn't like the wind, the rain, the unusual noises and would thump in the night which I felt bad about in a residential area!!!

However I think it depends on the bun, some thrive on being outside and would be stressed inside, others like the comforts of being inside (like radiators)!

The majority of mine prefer outside, bar my little fluffy guy but he doesn't mind outside and the girls refuse to come in so he stays outside with them. I think Rose would like being indoors but shadow would hate it.
Sadly my cat dislikes bunnies so I can't have any indoors anyway.

Well my boys, Frosty and Snowflake loved being indoors (esp the radiators). My girls, Tessie and Daisy only came in for bonding (F and S were babies in the winter when I first had them so had to be indoors for a while) and have mostly been outside.

Daisy loves being in the run. The others will go there every now and again but Daisy loves it.

My rabbit likes being indoors, although she's also very happy when she's outdoors; she runs, jumps and does so many binkies when she's outdoors. Although she doesn't like being outside for too long... she always comes up to the kitchen door and waits for me to open it lol. She runs in so fast it's so cute.

Louie loved being indoors, he used to sleep behind the settee next to the radiator.

He did used to enjoy his outdoor time everyday too, but I would say he definately preferred the indoors, especially in the winter.

My previous little bunny Harvey loved it outside and I'd always see him sitting on the windowsill looking out, then when outside would be running round like a looney, and always be a tinker to catch so can fully appreciate that some bunnies love being outside. Think if it wasn't for his health problems, I'd of loved to have him out there. but my current little bunny honey, is defo an indoor bun.. Again she likes being outside, but anything over half hour, she'll be siting at my feet and thumping.. Telling me to take her in. Even when putting her in a run, she would never lie down.. She would always be on edge whereas as soon as she's back in the house, she flipped over and asleep! :lol: xx

I honestly think they just like what they're familiar with. My outdoor pair like being outdoors. Kyla will come into the kitchen to explore but always hops out again after a short while. My indoor pair are happiest indoors. Fudge used to like to go out in the garden in the mornings to eat some grass but I took them both out recently and they both ran back in at the earliest opportunity. I think they feel safest in their own territory, wherever that happens to be.

My two are both indoors, they love going out for runs, hops and binkies when the weather suits them 😄. Girl bunny tends to like to come in and out at her leisure over a short period of time, before coming in for a rest whereas boy bunny is quite happy bouncing around for much longer but again eventually retiring inside. As others mentioned above its probably because they know indoors as their home?

I think it depends on the rabbit's personality. Boots, my current bun was used to being outside, and when I first adopted him he was outside for about a week, before we realised he was happier when we brought him inside. He's very much a cuddle bun though.

My previous 2 pairs were brought inside for bonding into a quad, and they clearly hated it. They were fairly skittish bunnies who preferred you to leave them alone unless you were feeding them!

Hollie is a very sociable rabbit and so doesn't mind either .....but Rascal is very much a rabbity rabbit who loves being outdoors ....he hates it if he has to come in. Hollie just loves attention and doesn't seem to mind where that is ..!! X

I'm sure Bramble would hate being inside. We got her free from a backyard breeder who was giving up breeding, hence she was used to a tiny hutch with time in a run, rotated with the other rabbits. When we first got her she would stay outside all night, so much so that Mum decided to give her a middle name of Starlight. She still likes being outside having a shed and 24 hour access to a run and will happily sit out in the rain. She and Flop were often out snuggled up in a corner of the run at night, she probably still does but as she and Parsley are both black I can't tell? Flop was white (bless him, I still miss his floffyness) and they were always together so I could spot them in the moonlight!

Millie is definitely an indoor bunny, the few days she was out in a hutch she went mental. She comes and goes during the day at the moment but inside is her thing.

Fudge and Dolly are definitely outdoor buns.

Charlie and Miffy went outside earlier this year and found it hard to adjust. Now the weather is getting cooler, Miffy is struggling , she is 8 after all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buns live outside, but go absolutely spastic when I bring them inside! Binkies and Bunny-500s galore. :lol: I'm not sure if this means they love indoors or just enjoy the change of environment. Either way, it's hilarious to watch them!

Rupert prefers being inside, and Tia prefers being outside- the colder the better for her!

They currently live outside in a shed - they have the entire 6ft x 4ft shed with extra levels too. When we buy a house (hopefully next year) they will be house bunnies - Rupert is going to totally love it. He'll totally have a cuddly bed in front of the fire, he loves snuggly fleece :lol: Tia - well, she will love the power of being the boss haha

Our last rabbit Daisy loved being indoors- you can't watch the TV and find scraps of toddler snacks on the floor when you are outside! :lol:

Sonic's never been inside, but he loves being outside. He'll sit out against the bars in all weather, even freezing snow and hail. I always stuff his room with hay and straw and he never sits in it. He has lovely fur though, super thick and fluffy!

Outdoors.... I do have both indoor and outdoor bunnies and it seems so much more natural when they are outside. And in the summer when they are allowed out they seem alot happier x

Back