• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Bunny has an Abscess

BunnyBooBoo

Young Bun
I only realised today whilst I was giving her a massage. Obviously I know it's serious, and I'm going to take her to the vet... But other than that, I'm completely clueless as to what I should do. Can you guys please help me out?

She's behaving completely normal btw. Normal appetite, normal behaviour.

Last edited:
Hi Jack's-Jane. I knew it was an abscess after Googling about it. It's located right under her face (on her neck).

I'm honestly so scared right now. I keep reading about how difficult they are to treat. :(

So I was just reading this thread and my bun's lump looks very similar to this bunny's. Could it just be a dewlap instead of a abscess? http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?62241-Lump-under-chin-unsure-Help!

It could be a dewlap from what you say, but even if it's an abscess, it's really not the end of the world, or your bunny!

A good vet and a well worked out protocol will be able to cure a bunny in many instances, and if not a cure, then keep it away for the duration of it's lifetime.

I have nursed and medicated more abscess bunnies than I can remember and they have all done really well :D

A good vet is a necessity x Good luck x

Well here are some pics of her from today. If you guys need to see better pics just let me know.

-

Last edited:
It could be a dewlap from what you say, but even if it's an abscess, it's really not the end of the world, or your bunny!

A good vet and a well worked out protocol will be able to cure a bunny in many instances, and if not a cure, then keep it away for the duration of it's lifetime.

I have nursed and medicated more abscess bunnies than I can remember and they have all done really well :D

A good vet is a necessity x Good luck x

Okay, thank you very much. :D That's really good to hear. I was so worried after reading all the comments on abscess and rabbits. But I think it's most likely a dewlap because she is a bit overweight and like I said in the opening post, she has been behaving completely normal.

BTW, MightyMax, would you happen to know what a dewlap feels like? I just want to be 100% sure.

Last edited:
Okay, thank you very much. :D That's really good to hear. I was so worried after reading all the comments on abscess and rabbits. But I think it's most likely a dewlap because she is a bit overweight and like I said in the opening post, she has been behaving completely normal.

BTW, MightyMax, would you happen to know what a dewlap feels like? I just want to be 100% sure.

A dewlap is just stored fat on a female rabbit. If you feel it, it shouldn't have any hard lumps in it.

What you've posted looks like a dewlap, but you can have another feel and see whether there is any 'abscess like' tissue in there.

A dewlap is just stored fat on a female rabbit. If you feel it, it shouldn't have any hard lumps in it.

What you've posted looks like a dewlap, but you can have another feel and see whether there is any 'abscess like' tissue in there.

It kind of feels like a lump, but not a whole bunch of lumps. I was feeling it a few minutes ago and she didn't react to my touch. I read that abscesses are supposed to feel sore and hurt, ect. but I'm not getting that vibe from her at all. She's behaving completely fine. Also, the "lump" was small a few days ago but it grew bigger today. Do dewlaps grow bigger over time?

Last edited:
Back