• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is the best hay?

VickyM_73

Young Bun
Hi there,

I've been reading a few threads on here about pellets and which are the best to use etc. And the general consensus seems to be more hay. I feed mine burgess pellets and a burgess Timothy hay with dandelion and marigold. I also pick grass and dandelions from the garden.

Based on what ive read, I'm going to switch to science selective pellets and fibre first sticks. I just wondered if anyone can tell me if the hay I'm using is okay or should I be using something else.

The 'best' hay is the stuff they eat lots of. There's no need to buy expensive / 'fancy' hay, as long as they eat plenty of what they are given.

Thanks. I was using a cheaper hay from the pet shop before and I must admit I think they preferred it so perhaps I'll go back to that one!

Thankfully, rabbits don't look at the price tags or how the hay is packaged. As long as it looks OK and smells OK, it should be fine.

Mine get baled hay from a horse supplies place. Much cheaper than bagged posh stuff but just as good for them. Often it is better quality as well - less dust, longer strands, no creepy crawlies or mould spores captured and breeding in the (badly stored) bag - just a bit messier to transport if I don't wrap it in a sheet in the car and store it in a wheely bin.

Fresh grass and dandelions are brilliant as well. Bramble leaves are available all year round if you fancy adding some other fresh forage to their diet.

How do you get your hay out of the bottom of the wheelie bin? Do you end up tipping it out at the end?

Basically, that is the easiest way if you can tip it on to something sensible. Otherwise, send a tall teenager to get the bits out of the bottom (she can reach easily)....or (most likely option) I go in head first with a small brush and a bag, tip the bin slightly if needed, and rummage around in the dark while holding my breath...

I have been tempted to use the vacuum cleaner to do it as well.

I am considering the merits of leaving the whole bale in a single duvet cover inside the bin, or just a layer of newspaper across the bottom so it just goes up the sides a bit - so you can grab the edges and roll it all up at the end of the bale. You have to be certain that it will stay absolutely dry in the bin, or you risk mouldy hay from damp fabric or newspaper.

I find it easier to get most of the dregs out if you leave the strings on the bale - put it in the bin and then cut the strings but leave them round the bottom - so you can hoist out the last slice more easily.

Back